Mercedes Benz "new strategy"

MB has other markets to think about too, not only the US where people who drive Tesla drive 3 more cars. In most countries MB is the only game in the household.
Earth is going to rotate many more times around the Sun before Tesla comes to that point.

"In most countries MB is the only game in the household."

I cant think of one country where that's true.

Starting 2021. Tesla could barely make a profit with no serious competition. In a year from now they will have serious competition.

From the article.

Mercedes electric.JPG

I cant think of one country where that's true.
Need to catch up in Geography, Dave. Africa alone has 54. Add up all other continents that do not include the USA and you'll have a better idea. Yes, MB is NOT the only game in town in those places, but it's the game in town everyone thinks of when luxury or status is aimed for. Tesla is just a curiosity.

Need to catch up in Geography, Dave. Africa alone has 54. Add up all other continents that do not include the USA and you'll have a better idea. Yes, MB is NOT the only game in town in those places, but it's the game in town everyone thinks of when luxury or status is aimed for. Tesla is just a curiosity.

So you agree with me.

Starting 2021. Tesla could barely make a profit with no serious competition. In a year from now they will have serious competition.

From the article.

View attachment 31563

Anyone can claim anything, delivering it is something different.

MB like VAG claim anticipated range using WLTP standards VS US and EPA

WLTP has been laughably off from real world performance from the get go.

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 4.02.55 PM.png

MB has other markets to think about too, not only the US where people who drive Tesla drive 3 more cars. In most countries MB is the only game in the household.
Earth is going to rotate many more times around the Sun before Tesla comes to that point.
Not sure how this answers my question...
There is no doubt that MBZ is an incredible, legendary company that serves many markets.
This article is about their "new strategy". I found it surprising and interesting. Did you?

That’s an easy way out. But enjoy the agreement, if you will.

Not looking for an easy way out.

Eddy made a non defensible statement you tried to turn into a geography lesson, but ended up agreeing with me.

Not sure how this answers my question...
There is no doubt that MBZ is an incredible, legendary company that serves many markets.
This article is about their "new strategy". I found it surprising and interesting. Did you?

Not surprising, but interesting.

Thanks Jeff.

Again, I wish Mercedes, and others, well. Thus far, they have delivered squat.
A small SUV converted to electric drivetrain that offers a whopping 200 mile range?
Gotta do better than that.

They have a lotta catching up to do, according to the experts.
Sandy Munro on Tesla Manufacturing

Last edited:
Not looking for an easy way out.

Eddy made a non defensible statement you tried to turn into a geography lesson, but ended up agreeing with me.
Non-defensible? In the context of their new strategy - and the comparison to Tesla thereof - it’s a valid point. Their customer base is not limited to eco-friendly Joe Does who want electric luxury. And yes, in those places the dream vehicle - their Tesla - it’s a ICE powered MB. That’s what I think he meant by the only game.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. Give them a chance to prove their worth by taking the tax subsidies away - then, we'll revisit the topic.
Not exactly sure what you are referring to...
The tax credit for purchases? That ended in December 2019. We bought our car in December 2018 so we got the $7,500. FYI the cars are a lot cheaper now...
$7,500On or before December 31, 2018
$3,750January 1 to June 30, 2019
$1,875July 1 to December 31, 2019

Federal subsidies? Do you think Tesla is the only car company that gets subsidies?
At least Tesla pays back the loans...
Tesla Subsidies

Or perhaps you are referring to something else?

Just reading the article quickly the impression I got is that MB is way behind the times and trend. Upper management woke up and realized where the others are going.

My sense is that they realize that they are in big trouble. They can go two directions. One is to quietly fade away and the other is to get swallowed up by another automaker. I don’t have much confidence they can go it alone and that’s a shame.

Just reading the article quickly the impression I got is that MB is way behind the times and trend. Upper management woke up and realized where the others are going.

My sense is that they realize that they are in big trouble. They can go two directions. One is to quietly fade away and the other is to get swallowed up by another automaker. I don’t have much confidence they can go it alone and that’s a shame.
I don't think it is that bad... MBZ, like every company, is evolving. The EV demand is real. Time to get cracking.
Funny you say someone will swallow them up. Isn't that what many said about Tesla?
As others and I have posted, Mercedes serves a lotta markets.
I found the article very surprising and interesting. I have been to many similar corporate meetings; I've heard it before.

It will be interesting to see if all the euros try to dolo it (do it alone) vs. team up.

Honda going with GM is interesting because no one knows if GM got it right.

Like ford and chevy got together on the 10 speed trans, all the guys that are behind in EV's should really consider teaming up.

More cars like the CLA.

Mercedes seems to be adapting an FCA-like business model. Dodge Dart (now defunct) infotainment screens in a Maserati. Probably much more where that came from.

The scary thing is that the CLA looks vaguely like a CLS at first glance and with a focus towards a newer and younger customer, you never know.

Now will they cut the cost of their cars, is another question. More BMW 318ti type stuff...

A lot of people like to say that the 318ti was a failure in the US because people didn't like hatchbacks, but that wasn't the case. Advertising was hit or miss- even though it actually received quite good reviews on both sides of the pond.

The ti was intended in essence to be an entry level car- BMW's gateway drug, if you will. Lots of younger people were interested in the car, but at the time BMW FS was essentially requiring the same credit scores for a ti customer as they required for a 7 Series customer- so lots of potential buyers were rejected. Then BMW NA figured out that a large number of ti buyers already had a BMW or two(like me)- the suits weren't overjoyed that a car with a razor thin profit margin was being sold to people already in the BMW fold.

Finally, some people didn't like the M42 motor, since you had to keep it wound north of 4500 rpm to make rapid progress. A 325ti was offered in Europe, but BMW NA nixed the idea because it would cannibalize sales of the 325is coupe.

It will be interesting to see if all the euros try to dolo it (do it alone) vs. team up.

Honda going with GM is interesting because no one knows if GM got it right.

Like ford and chevy got together on the 10 speed trans, all the guys that are behind in EV's should really consider teaming up.
Porsche and Audi teamed up to develop their new electric platform. The Taycan and e-tron.
Audi is planning to release the e-tron GT, a sports sedan based on the Porsche Taycan platform.

Porsche Audi PPE platform

Back