Mercedes Benz "new strategy"

Feel the change in the wind. A statement like from MB that is nothing but trouble for Tesla. Party might be over.
Not sure, unless MBZ knows something Porsche/Audi doesn't.
The Taycan and eTron were touted to offer 400+ mile range, both are around 200.
Many have assumed the "big boys" would step in and destroy Tesla.
For almost 10 years, many have been wrong. That's the numbers.
Remember, Tesla is a pure play EV manufacturer. MBZ is gas/diesel.

Not sure, unless MBZ knows something Porsche/Audi doesn't.
The Taycan and eTron were touted to offer 400+ mile range, both are around 200.
Many have assumed the "big boys" would step in and destroy Tesla.
For almost 10 years, many have been wrong. That's the numbers.
Remember, Tesla is a pure play EV manufacturer. MBZ is gas/diesel.

Based on the the EQC metrics they dont. Its metrics were more disappointing than water world.

At 363 wh/mi its a gross consumer.

VAG's initial claim was 400 miles AND 15 minute charging made possible by 800 volt architecture..... both missed by a country mile.

“Then there is the matter of actually making money on an EV which no one but Tesla has figured out how to do yet. “

It’s a big mystery how Tesla makes a profit. Even Wall Street hasn’t seen it yet.

“Then there is the matter of actually making money on an EV which no one but Tesla has figured out how to do yet. “

It’s a big mystery how Tesla makes a profit. Even Wall Street hasn’t seen it yet.

I know you HATE this American company, but thats not true and you know it.

They have shown profit for 4 straight quarters hence discussion on inclusion to the s&P 500 and a 5th quarter is likely.

Sorry guys. I don't think Tesla is ready for me just yet, I'll stick to the Benz.
I've NEVER heard of any car except Tesla where the lower control arm cracks into two pieces, and one where the ball end lets go. Roofs flying off, rear bumbers falling off, water leaks, poor paint, bad panel fit etc. No thanks.
And to top it all off, very poor customer service.

Sorry guys. I don't think Tesla is ready for me just yet, I'll stick to the Benz.
I've NEVER heard of any car except Tesla where the lower control arm cracks into two pieces, and one where the ball end lets go. Roofs flying off, rear bumbers falling off, water leaks, poor paint, bad panel fit etc. No thanks.
And to top it all off, very poor customer service.

My diesel Sprinter is the only vehicle Ive lost a turbo on - at 36K no less.

They didnt treat me very well......

This was not intended to be a comparison of MBZ and Tesla. It is about MBZ new strategy. From a business standpoint, they appear to be concerned and in need of changes.
Their words..

Last edited:
They actually did get better about the time you left. Had way less problems with my 2011 E class W212 than my 2008 W211, but I like the W211 better. Has more styling and I can see the cost cutting that happened between the old and new platform. The W211 had the door assist where the doors pop open a little when you unlock it, gone from the W212 but it has better keyless go handles, you could be pretty sure that the keyless go handle would fail on the W211 after 6-8 years or less but the W212 is a better design where there's no rubber where water can get in and corrode the switches. They also got rid of the little business card holder in the newer model. On the newest I hear they even got rid of the bins under the seat, the passenger side came with a first aid kit which I've never used, but probably all the meds in it are expired by now. I also looked at Lexus at one point, it's cheaper because it doesn't offer as many options as Mercedes did. But it appears most people buy Mercedes for the name, not the options, took me 6 months to find one that was loaded, 80-90% of the ones out there are basically base model ones with just two or three options. Pretty hard to find them with 6-8 major options.
Yes the last of the good ones (W211) was the 2009, with the 2010 (W212) they trimmed it so that it could be sold for about $10K less, I do like the design well enough, but the reason why the MB wasn't in the running for me was that they also did away with the amber signal light which for me is a deal breaker. Also they changed the front from the very sexy W211 to the W212 with a heavy front, I's never have believed that I'd say out loud that Audi has a much better front.:eek:

Thanks Dave.
I was wondering when MBZ would offer a new, from the ground up EV. According to this article, it sounds like an electrified GLC.
200 mile range sucks, but they are 10 years behind.
I'm sure they will sell, perhaps mainly to customers who want a Benz.
Competition makes the consumer the winner! All good.

That's pretty!
Be interesting to see the real world reviews of these once they start becoming available.

Gorgeous to my eye. After watching the etron sales they opted not to bring it for 2020.

Jeff, you have it right - its a warmed over ICE car Vs any kind of ground up initiative.

I think the article has the question nailed - Is it the Mercedes of electrics - or just an electric Mercedes?

Competition is good for all of us.

Interesting... Which Mercedes is electric?
I would love to see it; get the specs, etc.
MB has other markets to think about too, not only the US where people who drive Tesla drive 3 more cars. In most countries MB is the only game in the household.
Earth is going to rotate many more times around the Sun before Tesla comes to that point.

Back