Mercedes Benz E350 experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful feedback and opinions. We have plenty of time to decide and I'll take all the recommendations under consideration. I've only regretted 1 vehicle buying decision so far in this lifetime (buying an 1988 Jaguar XJ6 in 1993). I feel the MB would be a love or hate thing, not an "oh, it's ok" thing. I know the Mazda 6 would be fine, but I'd like to get her something a little nicer and/or more exciting if possible and it makes sense. I'd consider a similar year Audi A6 too. Completely changing gears, the revised (2018+) Mustang with the EcoBoost and 10 speed transmission looks like a compelling car too. That would be something fun for me to drive on the weekends and her to drive to work, etc., but I have a feeling she would prefer the Benz/Audi/Mazda.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
My 2013 E350 which I had for two years was nice, but nothing great. The hype for Mercedes (and BMW) is all in the consumers head, not in the product. In 2013 (or was it 2012) they changed the E350 to Direct Injection. Much noisier than the earlier port injection. I had a TSB done on mine that had something to do with the timing chain not getting lubricated on start up. (Or chain tensioner not taking up slack on starting). Also windows would often reopen about an inch. Learned that windows had to relearn how to close. (Hold windows switch up for five seconds to relearn).

Buying CPO great but if and when you decide to change your own oil, buy the Mercedes 5W-40 oil. I bought their 229.5 oil right at the dealer for $45. a case, six quarts, That's less than buying M1 at WallyWorld.

Good luck with the E350.

The thing is, direct injection went to 302hp in 2012, the 2010-2011 was the M272 engine which only did 268hp. Only drawback so far would be the plugs, because it's a 60 degree block instead of the 90 in the previous model, you have to take off the intake manifold in order to change the plugs at 60k. They use a multi spark system which fires up to 4 times per cycle so they don't last as long.

As for the oil, it's about $23 for 5 quarts at Walmart and I think the rebate will kick in again in September. Yeah for some strange reason, only the dealer stocks the 5w40 oil. But everyone here loves Mobil 1 0w40 anyway and Castrol 0w40 might just be slightly better. They're both 229.5 so nothing magical there. Make sure you get the right filter though, some other thread on here mentions someone going to a quick lube place and handing them a filter for the M272 engine when they have the M276, it fits but can cause engine damage.

If you're on the border between the 2013 and the 2014, just get the 2014, it has the face lifted styling.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
We had a 2002 E320 4MATIC and loved it. Nicest car we ever owned. It was higher mileage (145k when we got it). We had it for 2 years and 30k miles and in that time spent several thousand dollars on repairs and maintenance. I did my own oil changes (but they still cost something like $80). We traded ours in on a new VW Passat.

The older models like the W210 and W211 had more problems as MB was part of Chrysler back then, I think it's been getting better in the last few years, so far not too many horror stories about 2014 models. When the 2003 first came out, one major problem was the radiator contaminating the transmission so that the coolant toasted the transmission. And 2006 models all had bad balance shafts.

Originally Posted By: jstert
while i cant address an e class in particular, i have some experience entering and leaving the benz world. like you i have been tempted by previous generation cpo e class, and test drove several. however after two nice-driving cpo c class and then cpo glk i really got tired of the high benz operating costs. nothing broke but alternating annual $400 a and $600 b services plus $1200 at 40k miles, all at dealerships, were enough.

You can actually buy maintenance packages in advance. There's basically 2 services, Service A and Service B which is typically $300 and $500 around here. Extra cost items like the plugs and transmission are additional but if you buy the package they're covered. I think it's like $1200 for a 3 service pack, some have said it's worth while as they were quoted $800 for service and the 3 service pack covered the $800 service plus he had another 2 covered. You can't time when you use them so probably buy it when the 60/70/80 is up or the 40/50/60. You can buy them as long as it has less than 80k. Mine is older so I don't even bother, Service A is basically an oil change and they check a bunch of stuff. Service B is the oil change plus a brake fluid flush also also checking a bunch of stuff and maybe things like plugs or transmission fluid depending on mileage.

The new Continentals are nice looking cars, inside and out. Ford/Lincoln designers did a really good job on that car.

What makes the Sonata 2.0T a better car to you? Ride, features, comfort?

Right. Just like Lincoln. Truth of the matter is our Sonata Sport
2.0T Limited, (original MSRP around $34k) is a better car. 😇😱😰
At half the price. 😡🙄👿

Bad (stupid) me!

At half the price. 😡🙄👿

Bad (stupid) me!

what was supposed to be typed in the bold areas?
curse words?

At half the price. 😡🙄👿

Bad (stupid) me!

MB is basically a status symbol, but I bought mine for the options. Mine are pretty loaded which were hard to find, most of them out there are just the P1 package. Pano roof (basically dual sunroof, one for the front and one for the rear), bixenons, real leather, folding rear seats (crazy it's an extra cost option, not standard, but MB does crazy things like make the seat cushions fold up so the seats can be flat and also makes the seat move up so it's not a simple latch). power trunk closer, keyless go, parktronic etc. It's fun to drive with all the options. There's lots of standard touches like the memory seats for both driver and passenger, other makes have more limited options, like maybe only 2 instead of 3 and maybe only for the driver or just a driver power seat but not for the passenger. They also do little things like heated windshield wiper fluid and duel sun visors instead of a single one. Then there's the storage bins under the seat which they seem to have gotten rid of in the W213 models. There's some pointless ones too like the rear sun shade and I guess the headlamp washer too, but it's still fun to have them.

Ddubya you live in DFW ,you might want to check out Autos of Dallas. I drove from Houston to dallas to buy my 2013 SLK from them. All their cars are Luxury fresh off 2 or 3 year leases. All like brand new, low miles, with warranties remaining. They sell below book with no haggle prices. Go test drive the MB, I don't think you will dissappointed. I love my SLK

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Ddubya you live in DFW ,you might want to check out Autos of Dallas. I drove from Houston to dallas to buy my 2013 SLK from them. All their cars are Luxury fresh off 2 or 3 year leases. All like brand new, low miles, with warranties remaining. They sell below book with no haggle prices. Go test drive the MB, I don't think you will dissappointed. I love my SLK

Thank you. I'll check it out. Sounds very similar to one of the places I was considering called Texas Cars Direct.
https://www.texascarsdirect.com/

When you buy an older German car, you split your car budget in half. Buy the car with the half of the money and the rest goes in to money market account for keeping that car on the road.

I am exaggerating the half portion by little bit but if you do not follow that as general idea, you are going to be in lot of pain as time rolls on.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
When you buy an older German car, you split your car budget in half. Buy the car with the half of the money and the rest goes in to money market account for keeping that car on the road.

I am exaggerating the half portion by little bit but if you do not follow that as general idea, you are going to be in lot of pain as time rolls on.

I think you were looking at a real old one and wasn't it an S class which has a lot more stuff to go wrong. Plus the older models were much worse, the later 2013-2014+ got better. The worse part is probably still the depreciation. I haven't done that much to mine, but in the 3 years I've had it, it's probably gone down by about 4-6k. On a 2014, if it's 30 grand, a 2011 is now about 20k so in 3 years, it drop 10k. Of course when they were new they were about 60k before discounts.

Use these VIN decoder to see what options it has, lots of dealers have no clue. I love when they always say the car is loaded but all it has is the P1 option and things like sunroof, backup camera etc are all standard items.

https://www.datamb.com/

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back