Mercede pre-paid maintenance

I just recently purchased 2020 GLB 250 4 matic AMG line packages. It came with M260 engine. My question is do I need to service my car at the dealership until warranty expired. I can purchase 4 yrs pre-paid maintenance coverage for $1500.
A service includes: oil change and air filter
B service includes: oil change,air filter, brake change, maybe cabin filter (correct me if I’m wrong)

All of these are done every 10k miles interval.

what I don’t like is that, I don’t believe 10k miles oil change. I want to keep the warranty.
I would like to change the first oil at 3k mileage, then go at 5k interval.

That seems like a high price for maintenance. A service on my Mercedes is about $150, which includes 10 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. B service is a bit higher. Four years of driving, for me, is two A and two B services, which would cost half of that $1,500. Perhaps if you were driving 20,000 miles/year, it might make sense. Get a quote for an A service and a B service and do the arithmetic.

Note that those services include filters, rotations and inspections, so the price, including a bunch of very good oil, is actually reasonable.

Mercedes’ 10,000 mile oil change is quite reasonable. A large sump (lots of oil), good engine management, and rigorous oil specifications mean that oil will be fine for 10,000 miles. Even on my older Mercedes, the UOA at 10,000 looked great.

If you want to change the factory fill early, no worries, but I would really recommend a Mercedes genuine filter. That way, you’re getting a good filter, and Mercedes won’t know you touched the car, which eliminates any potential warranty problems. A genuine filter for my car is like, $12 at the dealership and they throw in the drain plug sealing ring. Tell the parts guys that it’s for “cash” and no one will ever know you changed the oil early.

$1500 is high, but there is naturally some markup since it is sold through F&I. Likely still cheaper than your dealer charges outright for the service individually.

It does allow you to finance your maintenance with the car, if you're into that sort of thing.

For 4 services I guess this could be a break even proposition depending on how much you need to take advantage of extra items. Have not looked at a new MB service manual but I am assuming you might have 2 cabin filter services and 2 brake fluid exchanges happen with that first 4 years.

Here were my local MB prices as of ~2 years ago after they jacked the A and B service prices up.

Basic A service - $199 - (1x @ 10k, 2x @ 30k)
Basic B Service - $299 - (1x @ 20k, 2x @ 40k)
Cabin filter - $149 - @ B services (20k and 40k)
Brake Fluid - $199 - @ 2 year mark assumed first B service.

If your car required 2x of everything above it would be ~$1,700 at my local dealer price. I would check the maintenance manual for what will be needed at each service, call dealer you plan to use for service and get the a-la-carte pricing then compare. Also double check the fine print on the pre-paid maintenance to make sure nothing is excluded and see if there is a limit to when you can bring it in (for example must be within 500 miles or xx days before FSS system dictates).

Good luck with the new Mercedes!

The dealership will change the oil, but I thought they went by the "Service Monitor" (OLM). Anyway, service "A" and "B" call for oil change, and CHECKING those filters and levels, I don't see them changing the air filter at 10,000 miles when the Prepaid Maintenance Schedule calls for it to be done at 40,000 miles.
Cabin Air, 20,000 miles
Brake fluid change, 20,000
Trans fluid change, 60,000 mi.
All of this is clearly spelled out in your owners literature. Oil changes are typically done from the top side, sucking the oil out, if that matters to you.
So, ultimately, the service would definitely be worth it if it covers brake fluid and trans fluid changes, IF you are going to keep the car for that long. You would also need to put on 60,000 miles in under 4 years to get into the big savings (trans fluid change).

Thanks you for repl everyone.

I’m not getting into finance for $1500 and I’m paying up front if I decided to buy it from them. I only drive 800 miles a month. When should I change The factory oil I mean how many mile after break-in? Thinking of buying Mobil one 0w20 ESP and buy oil filter from dealer. I know they aren’t any parts out there for this car since it just came out.

I will email mercede service advisor on how much service A & B cost and report back

If you want to change the factory fill early, no worries, but I would really recommend a Mercedes genuine filter. That way, you’re getting a good filter, and Mercedes won’t know you touched the car, which eliminates any potential warranty problems. A genuine filter for my car is like, $12 at the dealership and they throw in the drain plug sealing ring. Tell the parts guys that it’s for “cash” and no one will ever know you changed the oil early.
If you really want to change the factory fill early, another option would be to only replace the oil. That oil filter will have lots of capacity and even if there are metal bits in it, they're not hurting anything where they are. If you used a vacuum extractor, the only thing you'd have to touch would be the filler cap and you would avoid any possible foul ups with the filter change.

You certainly do not need to service your new Mercedes at the dealer while it is under warranty to keep the warranty. Going to a trusted independent shop will be much cheaper as the hourly shop rates at most Mercedes dealers are very high.

From the FTC's consumer information website:

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

Mercedes "assyst" unlike some other maintenance minder systems has a calendar timer - even if your unit sits it will call out services regardless of mileage.

I just sold a 2016 I converted and it was asking for a 2nd oil change, fuel filter, cabin filter, at 3.9K...

Mercedes "assyst" unlike some other maintenance minder systems has a calendar timer - even if your unit sits it will call out services regardless of mileage.

I just sold a 2016 I converted and it was asking for a 2nd oil change, fuel filter, cabin filter, at 3.9K...

^This. Sometime in late 2000's they switched back to a fixed 1 year/10k mile system. Like Honda system it will request additional items based on next service schedule - so lets say your 20k B service hits at 2 year mark but you are only at 14k miles due to driving low mileage, Assyst will call for a cabin filter and brake fluid change regardless of mileage. It basically just takes the schedule and adapts it to whether you will hit mileage or time - very basic.

Not sure the algorithm on things that are more mileage based like spark plugs, trans fluid, etc. but guessing they did not get too fancy and you might be getting new spark plugs even if you only drove 30k miles in 8 years.

If you really want to change the factory fill early, another option would be to only replace the oil. That oil filter will have lots of capacity and even if there are metal bits in it, they're not hurting anything where they are. If you used a vacuum extractor, the only thing you'd have to touch would be the filler cap and you would avoid any possible foul ups with the filter change.

I’m going to change the oil from the oil drain plug. What I need to do if I’m going to do the oil change myself, then if something happens how can I prove I did the the oil change on time.

For a brand new Mercedes like the OP bought you can service it anywhere and use aftermarket parts, but with a CPO Mercedes you must use factory parts and fluids or they void your CPO warranty. Exclusions:

“ Damage due to lack of maintenance or lack of proper maintenance or failure to use specified maintenance parts and fluids as described or indicated in the vehicle’s Service Booklet.”

The Magnusson-Moss act only applies to brand new, not CPO car warranties. The new car prepaid service contract also sidesteps the MM act.

I would not buy the MB prepaid service plan unless at least half off the price of individual services, because what happens if you total the car or its gets stolen. No refunds. Sure you don’t “expect” any of that to happen but you still buy car insurance. What if you simply trade in the car or sell it to a used car lot? Nope, not transferrable to new owner. Just cash in the automaker’s pocket.

Also the MB prepaid plan can only be used “at any authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.” so you are locking yourself in to dealership service.

What's the spec for the oil? Typically MB doesn't use 0w20 in their engines but that's a new one so don't know what they call for. Use whatever oil meets MB specs.

As for the prepaid maintenance, it's probably not worth it. Depends on the cost of A service and B service. A around here is around $300 and B is around $500. The prepaid is only worth it if you need the spark plugs or the transmission fluid changed, it's included as part of the package but you usually have to pay extra on top of the regular A and B price so that's about the only time it's worth it. Those services tend to come into play at higher mileages beyond 40k. I believe you can buy it before 80k so it might be worth it to buy it later.

What'd you do with the other Mercedes?

I’m going to keep it as long I can, I still have the other mercede models but this is the first time I’m buying It brand new mercede. The spec for oil is 229.71 I think I read it on here search forum. I know they called transmission service at 50k mileage so I can buy it at 40k mileage then take it in for transmission service.
I emailed the service advisor and he gave me the quote on the service:

1) Spark Plugs: $350 + tax
2) Brake Fluid Flush: $215 + tax
3) Engine Air Filter: $150 + tax
4) Cabin Air Filter: $100 + tax
6) oil change:$280+tax
7) transmission service: $900+tax

Well if it's 229.71, the only Mobil 1 oil on the approved list is Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20. Don't forget the X2. I guess Walmart and other retailers sell it, but it's a bit more money.

Is it four year, unlimited mileage, or four year, 40/50k mike service? I’d suspect the latter.

The risk I can see is if you don’t hit mileage and dates correctly, you might get put off. For example, under the current situations, you might only put 5000 miles a year. Does that mean you paid $1500 but will only be able to take it in three times? Can you absolu call them on the number of visits and filters/brake fluid swaps you get for one money?

I suspect not, and that they’re counting upon you not using all of the perceived services you’ll receive.

I also suspect there’s a ton of markup in the brake fluid and filter services to make it look like a good deal...

Is it four year, unlimited mileage, or four year, 40/50k mike service? I’d suspect the latter.

The risk I can see is if you don’t hit mileage and dates correctly, you might get put off. For example, under the current situations, you might only put 5000 miles a year. Does that mean you paid $1500 but will only be able to take it in three times? Can you absolu call them on the number of visits and filters/brake fluid swaps you get for one money?

I suspect not, and that they’re counting upon you not using all of the perceived services you’ll receive.

I also suspect there’s a ton of markup in the brake fluid and filter services to make it look like a good deal...
It's 4 years or 50k miles. Standard service is 10k or 1 year. So if you do 5k in one year, they will still change the oil and do whatever is required for that year. Same with spark plugs, if that's 6 years/60k, then at 6 years, they're going to change the spark plugs even if it's at 30k. So you will get 3 services in 3 years.

It's sold by MB corporate to lock people into service at the MB dealer. The dealer gets reimbursed from corporate so they don't care as much. It's a really good deal if you lease a car. If you have a 50% residual, it gets built into the MSRP so you only end up paying for 1/2 of the cost of the service even though you use up all 3 by the time you turn in the lease. Makes no sense, which is why it's a good deal to get.

It’s if offered so people who cannot afford the car in the first place can additionally finance maintenance that is marked up.

You can offer what you feel it’s worth instead of saying no. They may bite.

It’s if offered so people who cannot afford the car in the first place can additionally finance maintenance that is marked up.

You can offer what you feel it’s worth instead of saying no. They may bite.

On prepaid maintenance, there's not much of a mark up on it so there's no real discounting. However some dealers do mark it up from list price. They sometimes list the price on their website though when you're pricing a new car and want to see how much the maintenance packages are and if you call them out on it, they'll lower it back to list. Or there are MB forums where there are finance manager who will sell it to you at list price so you can skip the local dealer who marks it up. They're usually pretty good about buying the extended warranty or CPO warranty. Some of those finance managers just charge $100 over cost so they're much cheaper than the local dealers, some of whom have a policy of not discounting much. So getting the extended warranty or CPO online can save you over a thousand versus the local dealer.

Back