Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax vs. TW Ice Seal n Shine

I only did the hood before the cussing started and I put it away. Each half of the hood got two sprays. There's ample warning about overuse on the label. I followed the directions.
That’s frustating.

I haven’t used that particular product, but maybe someone here who has can provide some insight.

Weird because so many folks love the product, especially because it’s comparitively inexpensive.

I used (for the firs time) CMX Ceramic Spay Coating on the elantra recently. Results look pretty good, paint is "deeper" surface scratches disappear, not bad for $19.50 @ wal-mart. We will see how long it last, but water just "floats" on the paint as of now.
Soooo to update on CMX Ceramic Spray Coating... lasted one trip in a rain storm, and looked like i never applied it. I reapplied it, and it again looks amazing, but durability is nonexistent... i'll use the rest of the bottle, and try something else..
I feel like i "wasted" 20 bucks.

Is there a cure time on the CMX?
You know for example, do you have to wait the full 24 hours before getting the vehicle wet(rain or washing)?

Soooo to update on CMX Ceramic Spray Coating... lasted one trip in a rain storm, and looked like i never applied it. I reapplied it, and it again looks amazing, but durability is nonexistent... i'll use the rest of the bottle, and try something else..
I feel like i "wasted" 20 bucks.

My time with the product. I had no issues with durability.

I thought I can live with spray sealants forever. Some are decent, but after i tried real coating, they look kinda weak.
Ceramic coatings are stout.
However liquid & paste waxes are also a lot more potent than spray waxes.

In order of strength.
True coating > liquid/paste wax > easy spray stuff.

That isn't really a true statement anymore
I wish that was the case. I've tried spray waxes and in terms of shine and water repellency they aren't anywhere near liquid/paste waxes or sealants.
I can see them useful as quick booster to existing wax layers after routine washes.

True ceramic coatings (70-80% SiO2) are in a whole different league.

I wish that was the case. I've tried spray waxes and in terms of shine and water repellency they aren't anywhere near liquid/paste waxes or sealants.
I can see them useful as quick booster to existing wax layers after routine washes.

True ceramic coatings (70-80% SiO2) are in a whole different league.
Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax is actually quite stout in terms of lasting protection and even visible water beading. Check out Scott HD's youtube channel for real world panel testing longetivity tests (as in leaving it out in the sun/elements and washing it normally without any toppers and not strip washing it multiple times); he only did 1 layer application from what I can see and it's been outlasting most other things.

I would categorize that as a spray wax/sealant as application is just as simple as the typical spray on stuff. There is SiO2 in it, but there are some carnauba components in it as well that helped with the color depth and pop. I applied 2 layers about a month ago and water beading is just as tight as it was then, without any toppers after sitting out in the sun all day and going through the Ida storm/rain remnants up near Philly.

I found this video last year and decided to give TW hybrid solutions a try after watching it. Works pretty good.

I haven't tried TW seal and shine, bit a few members give it a thumbs up.

What's the obsession about water beading?
Surely a coating the water sheets off of is better than one where the water beads. And it's easier to hand dry as there is less water to remove.
Water that beads and left to dry creates spots. So when a car is outside and gets rained on and is not hand dried immediately, spots occur.
Water that runs off surely indicates the surface is slicker and/or more hydrophobic.

And what about UV protection? I see nothing about UV protection being a feature of this TW product. I have a competitors ceramic spray wax and i see nothing about that providing any UV protection either.
Maybe these are just toppers for a real protective coatings.

Are these ceramic coatings more about form (looks) than function.

Last edited:
^^^ "And what about UV protection?"

The "NEW & IMPROVED" Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine NOW has UV protection along with IS02 technology compared to the first gen TWIS&S. Many of TWs new products state on their bottles that they do in fact have UV protection.

Reactions: JC1
TW SNS for me. No streaks. Just uniformed round beads when it rains. Also after the self serve car wash, I dont even need to dry the car. Just a nice drive and they fly off.

*I have both - lately I have performed this process to great satisfaction using the Meg's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (blue) spray liquid :

1) Wash vehicle
2) While vehicle is still wet , apply Meg's Hybrid Ceramic Wax HOWEVER rubbing the product in gently with a clean wash mitt for better coverage
3) Rinse
4) Dry

*This goes a little faster for me than drying the vehicle and then applying TW S&S ... Both are good products and the Meg's used the way I use it above is cost effective , quick to use and has been reasonably durable .

^^^ "And what about UV protection?"

The "NEW & IMPROVED" Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine NOW has UV protection along with IS02 technology compared to the first gen TWIS&S. Many of TWs new products state on their bottles that they do in fact have UV protection.
Aargh, I just bought a bottle of the TW Hybrid Ceramic spray at walmart, it doesn't say anything about UV protection or "new & improved". UV protection is sort of a big deal here in AZ. Maybe I'll return it and try something else.

^^^ Yeah neo4, I did too(ICE Seal & Shine). However there is the NEW & Improved version if you can find it. I am looking for it too but still see the original version on shelves. :( for the same price.

Aargh, I just bought a bottle of the TW Hybrid Ceramic spray at walmart, it doesn't say anything about UV protection or "new & improved". UV protection is sort of a big deal here in AZ. Maybe I'll return it and try something else.
Doesn't the old bottle say UV protection?

Wow, just tried the TW Seal & Shine, and I really hate it! It left streaks on perfect very glossy black paint, and I can't get them out. I should say that I didn't remove the previous wax that I'd put on a few years ago. I just used the minimal amount of S&S to cover the area. Do I have to remove this stuff to get rid of the streaks? Or could I just put regular wax over it? Fortunately I didn't do the whole car, just the hood. This is the first product I've used that did this, I've always used some type of wax before.

Wow, just tried the TW Seal & Shine, and I really hate it! It left streaks on perfect very glossy black paint, and I can't get them out. I should say that I didn't remove the previous wax that I'd put on a few years ago. I just used the minimal amount of S&S to cover the area. Do I have to remove this stuff to get rid of the streaks? Or could I just put regular wax over it? Fortunately I didn't do the whole car, just the hood. This is the first product I've used that did this, I've always used some type of wax before.
You used too much product. 1-2 sprays per panel max. To remove the streaks use a damp microfiber.

You used too much product. 1-2 sprays per panel max. To remove the streaks use a damp microfiber.
Yeah that pretty much works, but leaves it looking unsatisfactory. My other car is off-white, should be no problem using it on that.

Well so far I'm not thrilled with TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.

I applied two coats of it a few months ago, and 2 1/2 months after the second coating the hood and roof had no beading at all--there was still quite a bit on the sides. I can beat this with Turtle Wax hard shell, at a fourth of the price. If this keeps up, when I finish the bottle I'll give Meguairs hybrid ceramic a try.

I have to say wiping it on with a mf towel and walking away is much much easier than applying wax with a pad, and then buffing it off. I can get addicted to a spray on wax, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Back