Mechanix Gloves - Are They Durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanix_Gloves.jpg

Have you guys tried these? Are they durable?

I like them. They last pretty good as long as you wash them, but do not put them in the dryer. Let them air dry. I'm happy when I can get them for under 20 dollars.

It depends on what you are using them for. if you are doing abrasive stuff then they aren't durable, if you are doing normal mechanical stuff then they work well. make sure you buy the right ones for you intended purpose. They can't be too thick or stuff or you loose dexterity. size them with a snug fit, it will ensure dexterity. I have a pair that I have used quite a bit, washed several times, and they are still in good shape. I wash them by wearing them and and going through the motions as if I were washing my hands.
They are military issue if that means anything to you.
I've also used Ringer's Resource gloves, they were also durable.

Last edited:
I've bought the cheap $5 pair of mechanic gloves from harbor freight, work and hold up just as well as the craftsman gloves i have bought.

I use my Mechanix gloves for auto work, yard work, & anything else where I don't want to sacrifice my knuckles. They have held up very well for me, for the year that I've owned them. Long term durability.....???

I haven't tried those.
But if those pictured gloves are not durable, what is!?
I use vinyl [not latex] surgical type gloves in the shop.
For temporary high heat or rough work, I use $1 pairs of brown cloth gloves.

I think I'm going to get a pair because I sliced my hand on a bracket while changing motor mounts last weekend. I don't like getting blood on my nice clean engine.

I routinely use nitrile "blue" gloves for just about everything. They're cheap and last a long time. When sized correctly, they're just like a second layer of skin so dexterity is almost as good, in my case better, then using bare hands.

NITRILE GLOVES, LARGE (PACK OF 100)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37051

If I'm cleaning parts with solvents, sometimes I switch to latex or polyurethane.

Mine survived a VW 1.8T timing belt/water pump/thermostat/radiator drain & re-fill job. I lost no skin & had no scratches on my hands afterwards. You decide what that's worth to you.

Pict0044.jpg

I find myself not wearing mine to "keep them nice." I also find myself taking them off for greasy/oily stuff and not putting them back on.

Still, they're great for working around hot things.

I used to wear mine originally when I was repairing gensets outside in the winter. Now they make an insulated version. The only drawback is they're no good wet.

You're right. It is difficult to get them clean. I have a few pairs on hand and I rotate them. The dirty ones get used for brake and chassis work until they get holes in them. I keep the cleaner ones for mild engine work, wheels... They also make a high dexterity glove that I use when working on hot rods. They're great for header bolts and other stuff.

Alreadygone, I've been a diesel mechanic for a long time and my hands were worse than yours. When I met my wife, she wanted me to clean up my act. I tried everything and Corn Huskers Lotion works pretty good. It gets all that hard black stuff out of the cracks on your fingers. It's cheap and it's at CVS.

Yeah,I've got hands like that - women can't understand why I can't just wash my hands and get them clean! It has to GROW out....a month off work and my hands look like an office workers,apart from the knarly look.

I use the mechanics gloves when removing wheels mainly....for real work where my hands will get dirty I use the blue gloves.They are much tougher than latex,and one pair can sometimes last more than a day.

Oh,and I use old gloves when riding my trials bike,they give good feel and some protection from hitting trees and rocks.

I can spend $25 on one pair of Mechanix gloves. I can spend $25 and get about 33 pairs of cheapie gloves from Northern Tool or wherever they sell them in 12-packs. The Mechanix gloves last about 6 months, or 26 weeks. The cheapie gloves can last up to 2 weeks each but I usually wear through a pair every 5-6 working days. And I don't just mean getting them dirty, I wear THROUGH the leather palm. Towing cars I deal with all kinds of stuff from torn metal to broken glass to transmission fluids to battery acid. And the shortest time I ever wore the cheapie gloves was 4 days.

In either case, I'd rather have 33 pairs of cheap gloves than 1 pair of nice gloves any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back