CVT durability

I'm looking for a 2024 Honda Civic with the CVT.

Are those durable with regular maintenance? like a conventional automatic?

I'm sure this has been debated on here many times, but I'm very hesitant.

Thanks for the inputs.

I have a car with a CVT. Do not like it much. CVTs are 'lazy'. Agree with Rygrego, change the fluid often and they aren't a reliablity problem. Don't tow with one. Specifically, if you are going to buy a Civic get the 6MT model. It will last longer, be more enjoyable to drive and when all the MTs are gone you will have a huge gold nugget in your garage.

1709414528245.jpg

BriteCo

Can't talk about durability but after two months with my '23 Soul, I really like their CVT. Four MPG better than my six speed '17 Soul. I'm an old man and drive like one but the CVT has been a pleasant surprise. I test drove the Nissan Kicks. Despite Nissan's two decade head start on HyunKia when it comes to CVT's the Nissan seemed a lot less responsive. Maybe the Soul's pseudo shift points have some kind of subliminal effect on me. Drives just like a real smooth nine speed.

Get the price of a CVT change from your regular mechanic and/or dealer if the extra maintenance might be an issue.

I keep nagging my mom to change the CVT oil at her mechanic. Being unreasonably cheap, she keeps insisting that she'll shop around first.

I might have to go over one day and just take the car and get it done myself.

Cheap(er) insurance. beats a CVT failure.

I'm looking for a 2024 Honda Civic with the CVT.

Are those durable with regular maintenance? like a conventional automatic?

I'm sure this has been debated on here many times, but I'm very hesitant.

Thanks for the inputs.
Durable = YES and I think better now than an AT

Changing the fluid may be more critical than an AT. The whole chain and gears are hard on the CVT fluid. Use a good synthetic fluid.

My wife loves her Honda CVT better than any AT she has driven. I get it. Her turbo CRV is SMOOTH

We have this CVT in our signature(2022 Civic LX 2.0L) and it’s a nice tranny. Change the fluid every 25K-30K.
Get the price of a CVT change from your regular mechanic and/or dealer if the extra maintenance might be an issue.
I keep nagging my mom to change the CVT oil at her mechanic. Being unreasonably cheap, she keeps insisting that she'll shop around first.
I might have to go over one day and just take the car and get it done myself.
Cheap(er) insurance. beats a CVT failure.
Right! ^^^
I had the CVT fluid changed in our Civic at a local shop that I like to get my NYS Inspections at(among other items) and they were only $119+tax and they use Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid.

The owner/tech said he drained out & replaces 4 qts. This shop only use OE fluids in their tranny fluid changes.
Their customers(especially the elderly) seem to love these two owners/techs and I can see why after visiting them on several occasions. They've been in business over 20 yrs.

This is one of those shops that when you find a good one, you hang on to them.

A CVT is much less tolerant to degraded fluid than a planetary automatic. It's the physics of the metal belt on cones driving system. So important to use the right fluid and change at prescribed (or shorter) intervals. CVTs have improved a lot in the past decade as the feedback from millions of units in the field is analyzed and improvements made.

Right! ^^^
I had the CVT fluid changed in our Civic at a local shop that I like to get my NYS Inspections at(among other items) and they were only $119+tax and they use Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid.

The owner/tech said he drained out & replaces 4 qts. This shop only use OE fluids in their tranny fluid changes.
Their customers(especially the elderly) seem to love these two owners/techs and I can see why after visiting them on several occasions. They've been in business over 20 yrs.

This is one of those shops that when you find a good one, you hang on to them.
Do you have lots of miles on your civic? CVT oc interval?

We have a CVT in the 2015 CRV. While the car is not my cup of tea, I’ll absolutely compliment the programming behind it. That boxy vehicle gets 27 mpg in mixed use. If you drive it in sport mode, it will NOT get 27mpg, but you can hustle it and drive it far harder with more “sporting effectiveness” than a CRV should offer. That little engine can sing and throw the ute around. The team that programmed that transmission had soul, as the combination of the engine and transmission and rpm management is superb, more than most CRV owners would likely care to test.

We have a CVT in the 2015 CRV. While the car is not my cup of tea, I’ll absolutely compliment the programming behind it. That boxy vehicle gets 27 mpg in mixed use. If you drive it in sport mode, it will NOT get 27mpg, but you can hustle it and drive it far harder with more “sporting effectiveness” than a CRV should offer. That little engine can sing and throw the ute around. The team that programmed that transmission had soul, as the combination of the engine and transmission and rpm management is superb, more than most CRV owners would likely care to test.
Which engine?

Back