Mechanical Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Yes, it does. Tone deaf people can't sing, no matter how many lessons they take. A person like me will never be a good illustrative artist (or any other kind of artist that draws or paints pictures), no matter how hard I try. I recognized this decades ago, and it has saved me a lot of heartache. If I were to put everything I had into it, I might become mediocre, at best.

Skill and talent aren't the same thing. A person who has a good dose of mechanical talent will find it easier to learn the skills. I have worked in a mechanical trade, plumbing, for about 31 years. I've seen the difference in people who have natural talent, and those who don't. Some people pick it up quickly, some are hopeless, and most are in between.

When it comes to working on cars, you find some people who just can't get it right. They're the ones who are always over- or under- tightening things, breaking stuff, and telling you that parts don't fit.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
My mechanical ability, such as it is, has funny roots. I was completely fascinated by car things when I was young - I remember as a young guy (3 or 4 years old) riding in my dad's car (an elderly black '49 Monarch) on a dark road in the rain. We got a flat, and I was delighted to be a 'helper' as Dad changed the tire. We arrived home, and I ran to my mum and told her that we'd had 'good luck'. Dad seemed rather bewildered by my enthusiasm. He hated working on mechanical things, and discouraged me from doing so. He believed that you got a carpenter to build things of wood, and a mechanic to repair your car, and an electrician to wire your house, etc. Fixing your own car must have seemed to him like doing your own dentistry or removing your own appendix.

So, I hit my early car-driving years as dumb as a bag of hammers, but with the desire to learn.

Dad was pretty appalled when he arrived home from work one day, and I'd taken the head off my '71 Toyota Corolla. (I was 19 by this time, and had wasted much money at Dad's rip-off garage, and they still hadn't fixed the rough idle and popping exhaust sound.) Dad had no good tools (and certainly nothing metric) so I'd bought a $5 socket set of appalling quality and borrowed a torque wrench form a friend's father. I took the head into the local machine shop, and the old machinist there replaced a burned valve for me. I was pleased to get the car running the next day.

I think I won Dad over when I took the door apart on his beloved '67 Newport and fixed the door handle.

Since then I've made massive numbers of dumb mistakes, but have blundered through removing and replacing the heads on a small-block Chevy, replacing the lifters on the same car ('68 Impala), doing a motor swap on same a couple of years later, doing a motor swap on an old ('79) Mazda GLC, replacing a head gasket on a Mazda 2.6 l engine, and doing almost countless strut replacements, brake jobs, rotors, tie rod ends, and timing belts. And then there are water pumps and alternators and batteries ...

As a side-benefit, I was mystified by the electrical side of auto mechanical work, and did an Electronic Technology diploma course many years ago. That helped with my car hobby of course, but has also provided me a decent living since.

So, in summary, I had the interest but did not grow up in an environment conducive to developing any skills until I had cars of my own. I've developed into a competent backyard mechanic, but wish I knew a lot more. I've become fascinated with the workings of engines - a real 'Aha' moment was drawing out the firing cycle of a typical V8 and realizing why a crossplane V8 can't alternate firing side-to-side through the entire cycle. The 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order makes sense ...

I wish I'd pursued mechanical work professionally and full-time, but that's the road not taken ...

Those two posts are overflowing with wisdom. I very much enjoyed reading them. Stelth and Number_35, you guys are fantastic!
55.gif

I know of a guy who is a smart guy but he has very little mechanical ability when it comes to working on cars. This guy actually raised a car supported only by the jack intended for changing tires. The car almost fell on him and to top it off he thought the car had almost fallen on him because he had forgot to apply the emergency brake. I knew how to properly raise a car when I was a kid.

The guy owned a nice car and he let his 'friends' drive it. One of his 'friends' burned up the clutch plate in the car.

Now this guy is not stupid. He takes a lot of advanced science classes in college. But he definitely should let a mechanic or a dealership work on his cars.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I know of a guy who is a smart guy but he has very little mechanical ability when it comes to working on cars. This guy actually raised a car supported only by the jack intended for changing tires. The car almost fell on him and to top it off he thought the car had almost fallen on him because he had forgot to apply the emergency brake. I knew how to properly raise a car when I was a kid.

The guy owned a nice car and he let his 'friends' drive it. One of his 'friends' burned up the clutch plate in the car.

Now this guy is not stupid. He takes a lot of advanced science classes in college. But he definitely should let a mechanic or a dealership work on his cars.

I have a few friends like that, very well educated guys. Thankfully they now take their cars to mechanics for service. Watching them change tires or oil was scary!

One of the worse things about the guy is his lack of common sense. Like letting his 'friends' drive his car. That is the thing that really surprises me and yet the guy is taking heavy duty classes in college.

Can somebody become a scientist and not have any common sense?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
From reading various posts on this board, it seems like a lot of people don't have the mechanical ability to repair their own cars. Why is that? Is mechanical work that difficult? Is this a skill that some people are just born with? If something is bolted on and needs to be unbolted in order to be replaced, what's so hard about that? I've never considered myself superhuman by possessing some kind of supernatural powers, but maybe I am.
21.gif

My wife just had her aortic valve relaced in her heart. The cardiovascular surgeon used a new method where they make a 3" incision between the second and third rib and replaced the valve through that little hole. In talking to the doctor before the surgery, he was explaining the new method vs the old method where they just cracked open your chest. He explained the difference is kind of like instead of raising the hood of the car to get to the engine- it's more like rebuilding the engine through the tailpipe. A lot harder to do but much less recovery time & pain. We started talking about cars and he has a new S class Mercedes. I jokingly asked him if he works on it- he laughed and said "no- I take it to an expert". If he has the ability to change a heart valve, I'm sure he could work on his car if he desired. I bet heart surgery is more lucrative though
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
From reading various posts on this board, it seems like a lot of people don't have the mechanical ability to repair their own cars. Why is that? Is mechanical work that difficult? Is this a skill that some people are just born with? If something is bolted on and needs to be unbolted in order to be replaced, what's so hard about that? I've never considered myself superhuman by possessing some kind of supernatural powers, but maybe I am.
21.gif

No, I'm pretty sure you don't have any special powers at all.

I can write code using several different programming languages. It's just a matter of typing in the correct syntax. Can you?

Both my wife and I can speak multiple languages. It's just a matter of making the right sounds. Can you?

I can cook healthy and flavorful meals at home at a near-professional level. It's just a matter of combining a few ingredients and throwing them in the oven or on the stove. Can you?

I can rebuild anything or everything on a Ford N series tractor without a book or manual. Can you?

And indeed, I also have the ability to repair just about anything on my vehicles-it doesn't take any special ability or "special" powers.

I once took my Buick to a suspension shop to troubleshoot a noise I was having. I assumed it had something to do with the suspension by the direction the noise was coming from. Come to find out, it was the transmission mount that was allowing the engine to rock over and bump into something under torque that was causing the noise. I paid the shop the $35 diagnostic fee and took the car home. My first step was looking at Alldata for the instructions describing the repair procedure. My second step was seeing if I needed any special tools. My third step was ordering the part. After those preliminary steps were done, I proceeded in changing out the part. No big deal, a 10 year old girl could've done it.
21.gif

You could swap out the part, but you were completely unable to diagnose the issue to begin with? I'm guessing that 10 year old girl could have figured out what was wrong in the first place.

I can do anything you can do better!

Geez, what a braggart.

Originally Posted By: Nyati

My wife just had her aortic valve relaced in her heart. The cardiovascular surgeon used a new method where they make a 3" incision between the second and third rib and replaced the valve through that little hole. In talking to the doctor before the surgery, he was explaining the new method vs the old method where they just cracked open your chest. He explained the difference is kind of like instead of raising the hood of the car to get to the engine- it's more like rebuilding the engine through the tailpipe. A lot harder to do but much less recovery time & pain. We started talking about cars and he has a new S class Mercedes. I jokingly asked him if he works on it- he laughed and said "no- I take it to an expert". If he has the ability to change a heart valve, I'm sure he could work on his car if he desired. I bet heart surgery is more lucrative though
grin.gif

IMO time is the biggest factor in learning a skill. I think with some effort and enough time most people can figure things out. The question is how much time do you want to dedicate to a particular topic? In the case of your wife's surgeon he chose to focus on his career and his surgical skills in order to provide cutting edge care for his patients. Like you said, I'm POSITIVE he could figure out how to work on a car if he wanted to. But he has decided that his time is better spent on other activities.

That being said I think a rudimentary knowledge of your vehicle is good to have. If anything at least it will help you to keep an eye out for mechanics trying to scam you.

Merkava 4 - Glad you enjoyed my rather random & long-winded post!

I'd like to add the story of a dumb car thing I did right around my 17th birthday. So I had my 2nd car by this time, and the first one I'd bought for myself. It was a '68 Vauxhall Viva, sister car to the Envoy Epic. (Vauxhall & Envoy were both brands of General Motors of Great Britain. One was sold by Chev Olds Cadillac dealers, and the other by Pontiac Buick GMC dealers.) I'd saved up from my $1.90/hr busboy part-time job, and paid $500 for the worst car I have ever owned. Phil Edmonston, sort of the Ralph Nader of Canada, wrote something like, 'This is GM's first non-polluting car. It never runs, so it never pollutes...'.

Anyway, I was driving this tired little car along Whyte Avenue in Edmonton, on a hot Spring day, and the oil light came on. Except it may not have been the oil light. The instrumentation was pretty rudimentary, and I think it was a generic engine trouble light, covering oil pressure and coolant temperature.

I pulled over to the curb in busy traffic and checked the oil. The level appeared to be OK, but you never know ... so I walked across the street to a service station, and bought a quart of oil (which likely cost me half an hour's wages). I asked the fellow behind the counter where to add the oil, but he said every car was different.

So I went back and pondered the mysterious orifices under the hood. (Actually, without power steering, there couldn't have been many.) OK, not the rad ... I knew that much. What about that thing? Nope, that's washer fluid. That thing on the firewall? Maybe ... Hmmm, it's likely this thing on top of the engine. But what if it isn't? Better safe than sorry ... so I pulled the dipstick and tried to dribble the oil into the filler tube. I think a couple of ounces or not made it into the oil pan. The rest lubricated Whyte Avenue.

A few weeks later I dumped the car for $25. The tranny, rear end, and ball joints were shot. That was after I'd spent $200 on a valve job. That was my one and only Brit car to date, although I'd love to have an old Austin Mini now.

So I think of this whenever I'm tempted feel superior to anyone without mechanical experience. I was there, and this was as dumb as it gets.

Originally Posted By: PhillipM

I don't pay anyone to do a job unless they can do it better than me, and these days just because they do it for a living and I've never done it, doesn't always mean they're better at it than trying yourself - far too many people happy to take money for a job they have no interest in, and no pride in their work for.

Bingo...in fact from my own experience very few so called
"professional shops" are the least bit professional, most are staffed by employees of questionable character, ability, experience, and have no pride in workmanship and could care less about the customer. I'd say about 80% of all technicians have no business touching a customer car.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: PhillipM

I don't pay anyone to do a job unless they can do it better than me, and these days just because they do it for a living and I've never done it, doesn't always mean they're better at it than trying yourself - far too many people happy to take money for a job they have no interest in, and no pride in their work for.

Bingo...in fact from my own experience very few so called
"professional shops" are the least bit professional, most are staffed by employees of questionable character, ability, experience, and have no pride in workmanship and could care less about the customer. I'd say about 80% of all technicians have no business touching a customer car.
crazy.gif

The best shops I know are run by the owner and his name is on the front of the building. The worst experiences I've had were at national chains.

I've noticed that people who work on cars fall into one of three categories, sometimes two, depending on the scenerio -

The parts swapper - as described, is able to fix most basic problems. i.e. water pumps, alternators, etc.

The rebuilder - Can tackle more advanced jobs, i.e., head gaskets, re-ring jobs, transmission and/or complete driveline swaps, etc.

The diagnoser - Can do both of the above, but goes a step further by correctly diagnosing the real problem the first time. i.e. "The reason your head gasket blew, is because the water pump failed due to constantly refilling with hard water when your radiator sprang a leak."

I fall somewhere in between the rebuilder and diagnoser, I don't shy away from big jobs but have been guilty of a mis diagnosis a time or two. I've learned a lot from those experiences.

I have got to where I shy away from hvac work. Too much to go wrong if you know enough to cause havoc.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
21.gif

grin.gif

I have no doubt he could do it if he really wanted to (the internet is a rich source of how-to-do-it, specs, etc), but I suspect he'd rather not, because of lack of time or more likely he'd want to avoid possible injury to his hands while working on the car.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fixing your own car requires mechanical ability but also a place (heated).

These guys didn't get the memo about needing a heated place. They decide to fix up an airplane that had been sitting dormant in the artic circle for decades. It is an interesting (and tragic) watch for anyone with mechanical interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds

Originally Posted By: tom slick
When I was a turbine engine mechanic in the USAF we had guys that were decent mechanics and some that were not. These people had the same formal training, mentoring, and excellent manuals. Some of them were destined for tool crib duty because they were not cut out for turning wrenches. I was a mechanic long before I was in the USAF.

This video explains a condition I have suffered from my whole life

So THAT'S what it is called: THE KNACK! I suffer the same thing. Always have. I was taking apart tube TV's, my toys, fixing my bicycle, building electrical circuits before the third grade. And I had a chemistry set too! Always something needs attention!

Originally Posted By: Mystic
One of the worse things about the guy is his lack of common sense. Like letting his 'friends' drive his car. That is the thing that really surprises me and yet the guy is taking heavy duty classes in college.

Can somebody become a scientist and not have any common sense?
The answer to that is YES! The brainy scientists who were the first on the scene at Los Alamos,NM nearly froze to death because they didn't have enough mechanical skill among they to make the primitive heating system work. . I believe LA is about 7000 feet.

Anybody can tape apart the stuff; the real knack is being able to put it back together without generating extra parts in the process!

I grew up in a household where my father was a good all around mechanic, carpenter and electrician so we were all heavily exposed to fixing things from a young age. To me, it seems it is critical to expose young kids to it at an early age. Of course some people have the interest too. I went on to be a Mech Engr, a brother a Chem Engr. Funny thing is, I work with alot of engineers and many of the young ones cannot turn a wrench to fix their cars. Some won't even tackle a brake job...lol. When I was first driving in the late 70's, cars were [censored] so you had to fix them. The young engineers today grew up with cars that ran well and didn't need fixing and of course, much more time on computers and the internet. They can fix my hard drive but cannot turn a wrench.

I got my tinkering abilities from my grandfathers. They were always tinkering with something. My dad helped me learn enough about electronics to figure out simple problems. Learning from them by helping was good enough to get me going fixing things on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back