Mechanic used smittys super S multi flow

I used this oil a few times in a Monte Carlo I used to own. I won’t use it again anytime soon.

PQIA found that the oil didn’t meet certain specs.
Any links? I couldnt find any of the super s weights out of spec in the pqia database

Why not propose to your mechanic, that you will supply the oil (your choice - brand name or otherwise) and he can charge you the usual or a little less for the service. You get peace of mind and he get to keep his profit margin.
Yes, I could obviously do this but the fee is a mere 10 dollars less. I just want to discuss and get others personal opinion and direct experience with the product

Just to update anyone who is following. I contacted them and they responded very quickly. They said they add whatever amount of synthetic (group III) needed for the weight to meet API SP requirements. This ranges anywhere between 8-20%.

Also, I looked at the technical data sheets for super s and Cam2 syn blend and they are nearly identical. This leads me to believe they are the exact same formulation. Another interesting point is that both super s and Cam2 syn blend have acea a5/b5 approvals.

Any luck?

I have looked up every single Super S and Cam2 motor oil tested by PQIA....

All of their motor oils have passed their testing just fine.

Now the ATF Custom Plus Dexmerc did have too high a Brookfield test result.

And you are right .... Super S and Cam2 use the same additive package treat rates.... The last Super S and Cam2 Superpromax were almost perfectly identical to each other.

And Super S full synthetic carries the same Dexos approval number has Cam2 full synthetic oil.

I have looked up every single Super S and Cam2 motor oil tested by PQIA....

All of their motor oils have passed their testing just fine.

Now the ATF Custom Plus Dexmerc did have too high a Brookfield test result.

And you are right .... Super S and Cam2 use the same additive package treat rates.... The last Super S and Cam2 Superpromax were almost perfectly identical to each other.

And Super S full synthetic carries the same Dexos approval number has Cam2 full synthetic oil.
Thanks bbhero. Just checked my oil today after about 1500 miles on the fill. Doesn’t look like the level budged much at all. The oil did seem to darken a bit faster than chevron supreme but we know that doesn’t mean much of anything, just an observation. If it grenades, I’ll be sure to let the board know :)

Yeah man I have put about 80k plus miles on my car while running Cam2... And now with 362,400 miles on my car. Still runs extremely well.

I like Cam2 because they use Afton for their additive packages. Afton is from here in my state of Va. I like supporting a local business.

I will say I really like Chevron/ Havoline oils, Valvoline and Quaker State.

Those are just personal preferences and nothing more.

Any oils from Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, Warren Distribution, Calumet etc are all quite good no matter what.

I think Mobil 1 ESP oils are one of the best on the market. ESP 5w30 is Porsche C30 approved plus other really tough approvals too...

Nah.. Same specs like API SN+ or API SP and Dexos.... Which Super S and Cam2 meet...

There's no real difference. . .

It's like saying Supertech meeting the same exact specs is worse than say Castrol, Havoline, Valvoline....

Only difference could be.... If one wanted to do a long run... Like 10k miles plus. Ok...

But for 4,000 or 5,000 to 7,500 miles ... No difference at all.

*Any major name brand oil from WM would be better to use ...
I would…if my mechanic didn’t tempt me with $30 oil changes. To bring my own oil and filter it would cost $20 for labor. I’d probably use Kirkland all day otherwise.

I’m just here verifying the “big” claims made by posters previously in this thread

Unfortunately not.

I must have either been mistaken or the testing has been lost to the dark corners of the inter web.

Take what I said with a grain of salt, don’t want to be the source of misinformation. My apologies.
All good my dude. Thanks for looking

If it meets SP standards, it meets the standards. It will be fine for 5-6k :)

And as with any oil, it's cheaper by the drum than by the bottle. Also, 2007 cars only had SL
2007 was solidly an API classification "SM" year.

API Service Classification.JPG

I would…if my mechanic didn’t tempt me with $30 oil changes. To bring my own oil and filter it would cost $20 for labor. I’d probably use Kirkland all day otherwise.

I’m just here verifying the “big” claims made by posters previously in this thread
If you like to save money, I'd just switch to a full synthetic like Mobil 1 and just do the rebates when they have it. Maybe up your change interval to 8-10k.

If you like to save money, I'd just switch to a full synthetic like Mobil 1 and just do the rebates when they have it. Maybe up your change interval to 8-10k.
I guess I could…but that would mean getting in trouble with my apartment complex. I could change it at my dads…but then I need to drop off the old oil at autozone…I’ll take the $30 oil change

Back