McDonald's New Chicken Sandwich

It Probably won’t be good. I recently tried a Popeyes sandwich and I believe it was ”manufactured“ chicken, little to no flavor and served Luke warm. Chick Fil A has always been paramount and probably can’t be touched by the other major players. Ive heard CFA marinates the chicken breast in pickle juice brine. Yum

Ive also tried zaxbys, shake shake, wendys.. not worth it. IMHO

It Probably won’t be good. I recently tried a Popeyes sandwich and I believe it was ”manufactured“ chicken, little to no flavor and served Luke warm. Chick Fil A has always been paramount and probably can’t be touched by the other major players. Ive heard CFA marinates the chicken breast in pickle juice brine. Yum

Ive also tried zaxbys, shake shake, wendys.. not worth it. IMHO

CFA drowns everything in MSG.

I had a few Popeye's spicy chicken properly prepared. The bun is superior and I'd much rather have that.

I rather like McDonald's when they had the "Deluxe" chicken sandwiches back in the 90s. They had 2 versions - grilled and crispy with a batter. There might have been an earlier version. However, I distinctly remember being on a trip in 1993 and ordering one of their crispy chicken sandwiches.

e05dd24e49b9d1cf5792e314a17140f4.png

I Tried the Popeye's sandwich at two different locations. Similar outcome at both. Massive chicken breast. Big enough for two people really. Breading may have been crunchy at one point but during the 15 minutes it took to get from ordering to the delivery window the whole sandwich got cold. The bun was smashed and the mayo had made the breading soggy and it peeled off the meat. Very greasy overall. If your restaurant does it right congrats and enjoy. I can't seem to find one that produces an edible product. Next up Zaxby and The New Micky D's versions.

Last edited:
CFA drowns everything in MSG.

I had a few Popeye's spicy chicken properly prepared. The bun is superior and I'd much rather have that.
Yes, I do understand that MSG is present in the fried foods. I do Enjoy the grilled chicken aswell (supposedly MSG free). I did here of Popeyes having a Cajun Fried Flounder sandwich for Lent. Anyone try it?

I have only eaten 2 of the Popeye's chicken sammiches. The 1st time was about a year ago. I was very disappointed. The 2nd time was about 3-4 months ago. It was excellent. Each time it was from a different Popeye's. I'm thinking that each individual Popeye's makes/cooks/prepares their chicken sammich different. It's hit or miss at each Popeye's.

Popeye's is truly the current king of chicken sandwiches (both spicy and original are the best, but I prefer the spicy). Chick-Fil-A's Spicy Chicken Sandwich is #2 (as long as you can convince them to place more than one tiny pickle on it).

McDonald's, Taco Bell, both pizza Papas, Little Caesar's, Subway, and Logan's Roadhouse (among many others) are long-time permanent featured members of my ban club, with many more vying for a membership. I'll keep each of their slang names to myself. Even if McDonald's does manage to crank out the best sandwich, they say ignorance is bliss, so I'll enjoy the Popeye's bliss.

I have only eaten 2 of the Popeye's chicken sammiches. The 1st time was about a year ago. I was very disappointed. The 2nd time was about 3-4 months ago. It was excellent. Each time it was from a different Popeye's. I'm thinking that each individual Popeye's makes/cooks/prepares their chicken sammich different. It's hit or miss at each Popeye's.
Bingo. I have two of them near me. My cousin works a 1/4 mile from one, and the other is about a 10 minute drive one-way (6 miles) from his job. It's a long-time running joke (truth) is that when someone doesn't believe him about the poorly run store 1/4 mile away, he challenges them to lunch. He goes to the store 10 minutes away and sends the challenger to the close one. Neither places their order ahead of time. Both are to go in the store and place a to-go order. The first one to arrive back at work with a *correct* order gets the loser to buy theirs also.

5+ years of challengers, he's never lost yet...

Last edited:
I have never been to a CFA. Am I overdue? :unsure:
Yes, but expect a major downgrade from Popeye's. Especially in the (soggy, bland) fry department. Not hating, just stating my opinion. CFA is generally pretty good, just a bit overpriced for what you get IMO.

You're in Cajun country, so I'm going to assume you like things with a little kick. Try the Spicy one first. I personally add a little-known sauce called the Honey Roasted BBQ to my sandwich.

Last edited:
I might have to try it
I need something clarified if possible. I notice folks in the US sometimes call what (to me) seems to be a burger, a 'sandwich', is it the case that a ‘burger’ has to be with a beef pattie? Because I would call that McDonalds offering a chicken burger?

A 'sandwich' here has two slices of regular bread either side of the filling.

Last edited:
I need something clarified if possible. I notice folks in the US sometimes call what seems to be a burger, a 'sandwich', is it the case that a ‘burger’ has to be with a beef pattie? Because I would call that McDonalds offering a chicken burger?

A 'sandwich' here has two slices of regular bread either side of the filling.
As someone who lives in the heart of cattle country, I feel it's standard to call anything but a beef patty a sandwich. Only a beef patty (or multiple) can be called a burger.

Chicken sandwich.
Popeyes-Chicken-Sandwich_-9.jpg

Roast beef sandwich (Arby's).
ClassicRB_18_tile_Mobile_768x640.jpg

Ham sandwich.
exps25769_SD1191049D28A(1).jpg

BBQ Burger.
bbq-bacon-theta-burger.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but expect a major downgrade from Popeye's. Especially in the (soggy, bland) fry department. Not hating, just stating my opinion. CFA is generally pretty good, just a bit overpriced for what you get IMO.

You're in Cajun country, so I'm going to assume you like things with a little kick. Try the Spicy one first. I personally add a little-known sauce called the Honey Roasted BBQ to my sandwich.
Popeye's is my favorite chicken restaurant. And, their spicy everything/anything is what I eat. I will take your advice and order a spicy sammich. I have to go to the big city this Friday and there is a CFA near where I'm going.

As someone who lives in the heart of cattle country, I feel it's standard to call anything but a beef patty a sandwich. Only a beef patty (or multiple) can be called a burger.

Chicken sandwich. Roast beef sandwich (Arby's). Ham sandwich. BBQ Burger.

Thanks mate, I thought as much, but it’s something I have wondered about for a while. Appreciate the clarification:)

Oh the photos just appeared..call them whatever you like, they look delicious!

Last edited:
Popeye's is my favorite chicken restaurant. And, their spicy everything/anything is what I eat. I will take your advice and order a spicy sammich. I have to go to the big city this Friday and there is a CFA near where I'm going.
And it will probably remain your favorite (it's mine too). If you try it my way with the sauce, just ask for a packet of it (it's free) and add a little to a single bite of it to try it. This way it doesn't ruin the whole sandwich if you hate it.

Pro tip: it will probably be drive-thru only. Take the sandwich out of it's bag and eat it ASAP. Sitting in the bag makes it steamy and soggy.

And to clarify my burger post above, I also call "Turkey burgers" and "Impossible burgers" sandwiches too.

They are making fun of my burger and making it feel bad about itself!

Back