MC FL 2051S CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening bitogers
smile.gif

This filter and Harvest King 10w30 oil was off a family friends 2017 Ford F-250 quad cab 4x4 6.7 turbo diesel truck. He and I grew up in Punxsutawney and his father and him run a coal analysis business.

He was down here over the weekend as us smart locals dont worship a rat
wink.gif

Truck has 66,xxx miles on it. Put more Harvest King HDEO 10W30 blend and a Baldwin filter he brought. Miles on oil and filter was 8,344 also. The string motorcraft uses was as bottom of filter so I pulled it up to middle to show they still use the string
smile.gif

Enjoy the pics

20190205_191647.jpg

20190205_191658.jpg

20190205_191944.jpg

20190205_192010.jpg

20190205_192030.jpg

20190205_192126.jpg

20190205_192651.jpg

20190205_192313.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jongies3
Great post, we don't see enough diesel filters cut open here!

I agree. I personally would love to see more of these cut open myself

Originally Posted by WellOiled
Very nice post. Looks like the filter did it's job. Louvers nicely open.

Yeah, filter did the job well. Media had lil holes in media I noticed. Kinda like the PIG mats we use at work have these holes spaced that way

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Media had lil holes in media I noticed.

You mean "dimples"?

I thought someone had some dual-layer media on here that looked like that.

Originally Posted by Linctex

You mean "dimples"?

Yeah, whatever they call them.

I stopped using them on my PSD after I cut the first one open and the string was at the top of the filter--serving no purpose at all at that point. I scored nearly two dozen WIX and Baldwin filters from Rock Auto that has synthetic media and wire backing. These MC filters are too long to have unsupported media and there are other filters in the same price range which have better construction.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I stopped using them on my PSD after I cut the first one open and the string was at the top of the filter--serving no purpose at all at that point.

Isn't the string just used for the manufacturing?

I don't see what purpose it would serve in use.

….Isn't the string just used for the manufacturing?….
Yes, thus often called assembly string and only seen on larger/longer filters. As for filter, looks like it got the job done for the substantial oci.

Thanks for c&p.

I'm not an expert but from what I see of the small amount of oil, it (Harvest King) looks good too.

I think Harvest King is Rural King house brand.

There is a user on this board that uses that brand oil and has 3xx,xxx k miles on a van.

Thanks for the c&p

Last edited:
You folks are welcome.

Originally Posted by dummyoil1
I'm not an expert but from what I see of the small amount of oil, it (Harvest King) looks good too.

I think Harvest King is Rural King house brand.

There is a user on this board that uses that brand oil and has 3xx,xxx k miles on a van.

Thanks for the c&p

Yeah, we use the HK HDEO 10W30 or 15w40 in the few diesel apps we have at work without issue. At 8.99/gallon for HDEO blend 10w30; cheaper than China Mart
wink.gif

Last edited:
I had to look up what Rural King was since I've never seen one of those around here.
lol.gif

Also, not impressed with that filter. I don't really like how the metal crimp holding the media together is bent for a filter that costs close to $18 at Walmart.

Originally Posted by Linctex

You mean "dimples"?

Yeah, whatever they call them.

From the photos they do look like holes but you can see they are dimples or whatever they call them. I'm not sure what the point of having them is. To me it seems like a cheap way of increasing media surface area without accomplishing anything.

If it is constructed the same way the STP Maximum Life filter I cut open is, then it is a dual layer media and the two layers seem to be press bonded via the "dimples."

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
If it is constructed the same way the STP Maximum Life filter I cut open is, then it is a dual layer media and the two layers seem to be press bonded via the "dimples."

That's what it looks like sir. I could peel some of the layer off the media. Its burned up now and metal is in my scrap container
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back