Mazda TSB: 2.5L with CD & 6AT… 3, 6, CX-5, CX-30 owners get in here

So, I’m in the market for a newer vehicle and came across this TSB while looking at Mazda recommendations:

From this thread:

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

NOTE: Vehicles with cylinder deaction have a "M" as the 8th digit in the VIN for the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation.
2017-2024 CX-5 (2.5L with cylinder deactivation and 6AT)
2018-2021 Mazda6 (2.5L with cylinder deactivation and 6AT)
2019-2024 Mazda3 (2.5L with cylinder deactivation and 6AT)
2020-2024 CX-30 (2.5L with cylinder deactivation and 6AT)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a chirp noise (stick-slip noise) from the automatic transaxle (AT) when shifting from 3 to 4 while driving.

This may be caused by the automatic transaxle fluid (ATF) being contaminated by iron powder due to excessive wearing of the lock up clutch in the torque converter.

Have read about nightmares with cylinder deactivation on certain GM products. I'm no expert, but given a choice, I'd choose to skip that feature.

PS: yes, I know, cylinder deactivation has nothing to do with transmission wear. Please forgive my drift...
Well, according to some on that Mazda forum, it sounds like CD creates extra vibration and manufacturer’s changed some of the transmission design to compensate.

They appear to be related. Otherwise, why only the CD engines having transmission effected per the TSB? Excess wear in the fluid basically causing the shifting symptom. In this case, it appears to be the torque converter being the source. It’s all connected in one way or another.

I read the Mazda247 link.
If you have one of the effected vehicles, selling it fast might be the smartest thing to do.

If I read it right, the chirp is clutch material binding up in a tricked-out flywheel.
There was some mention of a shaft, but the description went nowhere.

PS: yes, I know, cylinder deactivation has nothing to do with transmission wear. Please forgive my drift...
On certain GM Powertrains, it does

One of the TikTok transmission team explained it, something about how the PCM PWMs the TCC solenoid to smooth out shifts and power delivery when in V4/V6 AFM in a V8 truck
This wears out the torque converter faster, sending debris through the whole transmission and it fails shortly after
@clinebarger would have a better explanation about it

This TSB sounds a lot like some Toyotas a few years back
Swap the TCC, fluid flush, test drive, fluid flush
Hopefully it fixes it 🤷‍♂️

2024 owners should be especially careful to check the VIN; not all of this model year have cylinder deactivation. Mazda cited parts shortages and stopped including this “feature” in late 2023 production.

That is interesting. A few days ago I test drove a 2021 CX-5 AWD touring. I don't recall seeing anything about that 2.5 having cylinder deactivation on the "features". I really loved the interior fit, finish and features and I'm not a fancy feature guy.

Have read about nightmares with cylinder deactivation on certain GM products. I'm no expert, but given a choice, I'd choose to skip that feature.

There is a guy on TokTik (I know I know) who has a transmission shop who was talking about GM transmissions that physically unchanged from units sold a few years ago, now have significant reliability issues. People have been speculating about changes in clutch material or manufacturing details. He has concluded it's entirely due to programming and more specifically when and how often the torque convert locks. He has computer data to back his claims. Now, I have no idea if he's right but it's plausible that simply changing the mapping/programming of a transmission could affect longevity. I wonder if Mazda made changes to the programming to compensate for cylinder deactivation.

Back