Mazda TSB: 2.5L with CD & 6AT… 3, 6, CX-5, CX-30 owners get in here

Have read about nightmares with cylinder deactivation on certain GM products. I'm no expert, but given a choice, I'd choose to skip that feature.

PS: yes, I know, cylinder deactivation has nothing to do with transmission wear. Please forgive my drift...
Oh but it does on the GM stuff. It can mess up the torque converter due to going into and out of lockup too often.

Oh but it does on the GM stuff. It can mess up the torque converter due to going into and out of lockup too often.
Yeah, all because let’s make the tiny engine run in a way it was not designed to do. Creating all sorts of dynamic changes. And we wonder why longevity suffered somewhere? 🫠

I had really grown to love Mazda over the last decade, but between discontinuing the 6, sending production of the 3 to Mexico, and CD/AWD/turbo on the remaining lineup they now make nothing I want to buy. It’s sad.

The Mazdas with cylinder deactivation (I'll say "DA") use a different transmission series from those that don't have it. These DA transmissions have a very heavy torque converter weighing over 40 pounds to act as a flywheel and keep the engine running smoothly when the cylinder deactivation kicks in. (The standard converter weighs about 30 pounds.)

The heavy converter is a source of the problem. The aluminum DA case is different from those used in other transmissions, but the case and rest of the unit evidently weren't beefed up enough to withstand the forces the converter places on the shaft and bearings. Most of these units fail in the same way. Some also have had bad converters with internal leaks. An outside supplier makes the converters and has had quality problems. Changing the fluid doesn't help fix or prevent any of this.

The word is that every one of these DA transmissions is expected to need replacement. Most seem to fail at about 40,000 miles, but some go sooner and some later. It appears that Mazda is not extending the vehicle warranty if the original DA unit fails after the 60,000–mile warranty expired, so the customer would be on the hook for the replacement cost.

Newer Mazda transmissions are going to red A7 ATF and phasing out blue FZ, but this has been in process for a few years. It has nothing to do with the DA problem. A7 was first used overseas.

Mine falls in this category. Currently sitting at 86k with a brand new long block installed last month, I wouldn't mind more new parts.

A year ago the reman facility in Virginia had a backlog of roughly 1,000 DA transmissions for vehicles off the road (needing repair, "VOR"). The facility could reman ~14/day, but too many DA trans parts were back-ordered, especially the torque converters and cases. New-vehicle production has been prioritized in Japan over the reman facility getting parts it needed.

New replacement transmissions from Japan were being shipped so that customer vehicles could be repaired, and those units were arriving by the container load.

Unfortunately, Mazda is capable of some novel engineering ideas on a tight budget, but often execution is lousy. Cylinder deactivation (DA) in a 4–cylinder is one example. The engines themselves weren't the problem, but the transmissions have been a different story. I believe the DA vehicles have been sold mainly in North America, so Mazdas elsewhere should not have this issue.

Mazda relies heavily on virtual testing in place of real-world testing on roads. That's part of how things like this happen, and it isn't the only automaker guilty of cutting costs in this way. As AI takes over, expect more of this from all the car companies.

A year ago the reman facility in Virginia had a backlog of roughly 1,000 DA transmissions for vehicles off the road (needing repair, "VOR"). The facility could reman ~14/day, but too many DA trans parts were back-ordered, especially the torque converters and cases. New-vehicle production has been prioritized in Japan over the reman facility getting parts it needed.

New replacement transmissions from Japan were being shipped so that customer vehicles could be repaired, and those units were arriving by the container load.

Unfortunately, Mazda is capable of some novel engineering ideas on a tight budget, but often execution is lousy. Cylinder deactivation (DA) in a 4–cylinder is one example. The engines themselves weren't the problem, but the transmissions have been a different story. I believe the DA vehicles have been sold mainly in North America, so Mazdas elsewhere should not have this issue.

Mazda relies heavily on virtual testing in place of real-world testing on roads. That's part of how things like this happen, and it isn't the only automaker guilty of cutting costs in this way. As AI takes over, expect more of this from all the car companies.

Since you seem to have a certain amount of knowledge about the issue, can you explain why the CX50 isn’t on this list?
Also, may I ask how you’ve come about all of your info on the transmissions and having the “word” that all of them are expected to need replacement?

Mazda seems to have gone all in on cylinder deactivation, because I don't remember so many models using it previously. I was seriously considering a Mazda a few years ago, but their use of a solid rear axle put me off on the 3 and CX30. They remind me of Nissan; they do MANY things right, but find a way to F*** it all up, somehow.

As far as I've been aware, they've been doing well.
just wondered from your perspective, especially since you have knowledge of these cylinder deactivation trans / torque converter failures and I’ve yet to hear about that personally. I’m not up on any car sites besides this one…

I purposely bought my 6 when they still had normal 4 cylinders without deactivation (deactivation was announced for 2018s but there were still “2017.5s” on the lot in 2018 when I bought).

I’ve been pretty happy with my Mazda and would consider another when I pass this to my daughter, but I purposely bought before cylinder deactivation and turbos because I didn’t want either for a daily driver. I still don’t necessarily, but I feel like a turbo car is less of a mess than a cylinder deactivation car.

Back