Mazda tops Consumer Reports for first time.

Which models are made in Japan? Are they kept domestically or are they exported to N/A?

My 2010 3 was a J VIN - IIRC it came from their Hofu, Japan plant.

Looking at one of my local dealer inventory it appears the Japan built well outnumber the Mexico built, couple of Mazda 3 were Mexico and looks like all the CX-30 are Mexico.

Mazda are excellent vehicles. I could not be happier with my Mazda though I wish it didn’t have an internal water pump that is timing belt driven but it hasn’t given me any issues. For being 32 this year all that’s been done is fuel pump, fuel filter, starter, distributor cap and rotor and just other general stuff. Heck it even has the original spark plugs in it with only 108,000 still the original timing belt and alternator too. I have all service records since new and it’s been well taken care of. Needs a new exhaust as mine split just behind the muffler. Just wish people would not run into it lol. My aunt has I think it’s a 2007 Mazda 5 and it’s been excellent to them too I haven’t hardly had to do anything. So I’d definitely consider a new one as long as it’s not too decked out LOL.

I’ll be waiting on next M6 RWD model if rumors are correct and considering to own one

Mazda are excellent vehicles. I could not be happier with my Mazda though I wish it didn’t have an internal water pump that is timing belt driven but it hasn’t given me any issues. For being 32 this year all that’s been done is fuel pump, fuel filter, starter, distributor cap and rotor and just other general stuff. Heck it even has the original spark plugs in it with only 108,000 still the original timing belt and alternator too. I have all service records since new and it’s been well taken care of. Needs a new exhaust as mine split just behind the muffler. Just wish people would not run into it lol. My aunt has I think it’s a 2007 Mazda 5 and it’s been excellent to them too I haven’t hardly had to do anything. So I’d definitely consider a new one as long as it’s not too decked out LOL.
AutoMechanic, isn't your Mazda a B2600? If so, it has a timing chain rather than a belt, and the WP is external and driven by an accessory belt. Very good engine, SOHC with 3 valves/cylinder, and lots of torque. Had one in a '90 MPV.

The ones to watch out for are the Ford 3.5 and 3.7 V6 engines in transverse configuration. There the WP is internal and runs off the timing chain. The WP can leak into the sump, ruining the bearings pretty quickly. These were used in the Mazda CX-9 through the 2015 model year. After that they went with Mazda's in-house 2.5T inline-4, which has been good so far.

AutoMechanic, isn't your Mazda a B2600? If so, it has a timing chain rather than a belt, and the WP is external and driven by an accessory belt. Very good engine, SOHC with 3 valves/cylinder, and lots of torque. Had one in a '90 MPV.

The ones to watch out for are the Ford 3.5 and 3.7 V6 engines in transverse configuration. There the WP is internal and runs off the timing chain. The WP can leak into the sump, ruining the bearings pretty quickly. These were used in the Mazda CX-9 through the 2015 model year. After that they went with Mazda's in-house 2.5T inline-4, which has been good so far.
It’s a B2200. Really the only difference is the engine size. Yes the 3.5 I’ve heard are nightmares to own and work on along with the 3.7.

We've only one Mazda in the family, a 2009 Mazda 6, but it's at over 200k and suffered many years of young adult neglect and abuse without a hiccup. The only time it's been in the shop while we had it was for a broken serpentine belt at around 150k. That and several recalls, none of which affected us in the slightest and dealer performed on Mazda's dime.

I'd absolutely consider another although I have noticed they are already pushing upscale with pricing.

Did anyone else see the JD Power 2020 dependability study? Seems the Lexus headed up that list, followed by Porsche. Tesla fell to 30th place followed only by Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, and "of course" Land Rover.
This study covers model years 2018, and surveys owners that have had actual problems in 2 years of ownership. Not sure where Mazda ended up, but Mercedes and GM were near the middle of the pack.
I like this method better the CR's "predicted" reliability.

MAZDA dealerships have been dropping off over the years . Have to travel 60+ miles to purchase and get serviced . A shame .

Is Mazda improving or all the others getting worst?

Mazda went back to their Japanese roots and I believe that is a huge part of their success. You see it on their website, in their dealerships and in their cars. While a lot of what you see might look the same as everyone else they tell you that for example everything in the car is either recyclable or made from recycled products. They are very open about their process and thinking. The Dave Coleman videos on YouTube are eye opening.

One recent example is their new MX30 EV. The interior has some cork inlays in certain spots. Nobody else uses cork but it relates to the origins of Mazda which originally was a cork company. Those kinds of things catch people’s curiosity.

Back