Mazda tops Consumer Reports for first time.

• Tesla, which was last year’s top-ranked American auto brand, fell five places to 16th.

USA MARKET
They sold appro
ximately 24,000 vehicles a month in 2020.
Compare to Ford-approximately 175,000/units a month
Chevrolet 150,000.month
Hyundai 50,000/month

I would hope on such small volume they could get quality right.

Let's face it-they (Mazda) are a niche player with Corporate plans to move UPSCALE. In all likliood this move could erode those numbers-IMHO.

Last edited:
Long overdue in my opinion. With the move to their Skyactiv line, reliability has been great. I know this is anecdotal, but our '16 CX-5 w/ 80k miles needed a piece of interior trim replaced under warranty, shortly after we took delivery, but that was it. No additional dealership visits since that.

I bought my daughter a Mazda 3 hatchback and great car for the money.

Not surprised at being # 1

USA MARKET
They sold appro
ximately 24,000 vehicles a month in 2020.
Compare to Ford-approximately 175,000/units a month
Chevrolet 150,000.month
Hyundai 50,000/month

I would hope on such small volume they could get quality right.

Let's face it-they (Mazda) are a niche player with Corporate plans to move UPSCALE. In all likliood this move could erode those numbers-IMHO.

The move to upscale has already happened and continues to evolve.

Another tidbit: At their Hiroshima plant, Mazda puts out approximately 4000 vehicles a day through a 7km long assembly line (4.35 miles).

Yes they are small compared to giants like Ford. They are also enjoying success in the Chinese market as well as the local Japan market.

My sister is enjoying her new CX-9. Mazda is building some really good cars. I really like my little 07 hatchback, although it is one of the Ford Mazda's and completely irrelevant to compare it to the new ones..

The move to upscale has already happened and continues to evolve.

Another tidbit: At their Hiroshima plant, Mazda puts out approximately 4000 vehicles a day through a 7km long assembly line (4.35 miles).

Yes they are small compared to giants like Ford. They are also enjoying success in the Chinese market as well as the local Japan market.

Mazda sold 215,000 units in China...GM nearly 3 million-in 2020.

I have zero experience with Mazdas. Don't personally know anybody that's had one. I'd trust the real life reported experience of the BITOG members here a bunch more than the journalist boffins at CR.

I'd trust the real life reported experience of the BITOG members here a bunch more than the journalist boffins at CR.
To be fair, CR makes a lot of objective tests as well as subjective opinions and sends out surveys about reliability to it's members. Probably not ideal from pure statistical analysis procedure but likely better than what you get from the true journalist boffins (
Mazda is a BITOG underdog favorite.

There are typically 2 CR's worth looking at - reliability, which is this particular report, and owner satisfaction.

I had a 2010 Mazda3 GT sedan and it was exceptional to say the least, only issue in 4 years was one HVAC actuator that was replaced under warranty. Other than that 1 set of tires and a bunch of oil changes. I still miss that car and honestly wish I had not traded it in but hindsight always 20/20.

Back