Mazda Oil Filters and Synthetic Oil

Just had an oil change at my local Mazda dealer. While waiting, I purchased two oil filters from their parts department. One is for the 2.5 Turbo, 1WPY-14-302, Made in Thailand. The other is for the 2.5 Non-Turbo, PE01-14-302A-MV, Made in Mexico. The cost for each was around $10 including the plug washer. I found no aftermarket filters that look exactly like the 1WPY-14-302. I found the Wix 57002 (NAPA 7002) to be exactly like the PE01-14-302A-MV and costs around $10-$11 with no plug washer included. The inner tube of the 1WPY-14-302 has holes while the PE01-14-302A-MV has louvers just like the Wix/NAPA. No Anti Drain Back Valve in any of these filers. The PE01-14-302A-MV does not come in a box.

Concerning the synthetic oil now being used at Mazda dealers, I was informed that while in the past they used Mazda and Castrol, they are now required by Mazda to only use the Mazda synthetic oil made by Idemitsu Lubricants, https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/ The Mazda brand oil is not sold in bottles or jugs at the dealer as they only buy it in bulk.

I also asked the parts department how difficult Mazda may be with customers that perform their own maintenance in their vehicles in case of a warranty claim, and I was informed that as long as you keep receipts and clearly mark the service done, including date and mileage, Mazda is normally okay with that. The parts person said he does his own maintenance and keeps records with that information in case of a warranty claim.

I have included pictures of the above referenced oil filters.

Attachments

• PE01-14-302A-MV Side 1.jpg
    PE01-14-302A-MV Side 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Mazda Filter-Plug Washer.jpg
    Mazda Filter-Plug Washer.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 199
  • PE01-14-302A-MV Top.jpg
    PE01-14-302A-MV Top.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 212
  • PE01-14-302A-MV Side 2.jpg
    PE01-14-302A-MV Side 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 216
  • 1WPY-14-302 Side.jpg
    1WPY-14-302 Side.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 233
  • 1WPY-14-302 Top.jpg
    1WPY-14-302 Top.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1WPY-14-302 Box.jpg
    1WPY-14-302 Box.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I take it they didn’t have the Thailand filter for your naturally aspirated Mazda? There is no ADBV in these filters.

The Idemitsu oil is good stuff but pricey. That is the first I’ve heard about them not using Castrol. Dealerships can vary too. Mine has the quarts of Mazda oil right on the shelf next to the filters.

As for DIY, just keep records. I use my iPhone to take pics of the receipts and the products. I buy the filters from the dealer.

The local dealer here uses Mobil 1 oil for their synthetic oil.
Engine calls for 5.1 qts, dealer charged me for 6. They CLAIM that
their computer isn't set up for partial quarts.

My 2¢

I take it they didn’t have the Thailand filter for your naturally aspirated Mazda? There is no ADBV in these filters.

The Idemitsu oil is good stuff but pricey. That is the first I’ve heard about them not using Castrol. Dealerships can vary too. Mine has the quarts of Mazda oil right on the shelf next to the filters.

As for DIY, just keep records. I use my iPhone to take pics of the receipts and the products. I buy the filters from the dealer.
Second to the last picture has no adbv

I've had dealers charge me for the 0.1 quart and others charged me for a whole 1 quart although they just put 0.1 in the engine besides the 5 quarts. I guess it varies by dealer. In the most recent oil change I only see they put in 5 quarts. Paid $54.99 using Mazda oil and the Thailand filter in the 2016 CX-9 2.5T. I wonder if all Mazda dealers will now be using only Mazda oil. As per my parts sales person, Mazda now wants all dealership to use this oil only. I wonder if this requirement is only for certain geographical areas.

Last edited:
Although both engines are 2.5L, the dealer only uses the 1WPY-14-302 made in Thailand for the Turbo engines. The non-turbo engines get the one made in Mexico, the PE01-14-302A MV. Mazda says the two are not interchangeable.

This is correct.

The pleats on the Thailand one look different than anything I have ever seen. They look so thick and it is hard to see any seam where they are glued. Maybe a close up picture?

The pleats on the Thailand one look different than anything I have ever seen. They look so thick and it is hard to see any seam where they are glued. Maybe a close up picture?

My thinking is that the ends are dipped into something that seals them. Not sure what that would be. I have never cut one open.

The local dealer here uses Mobil 1 oil for their synthetic oil.
Engine calls for 5.1 qts, dealer charged me for 6. They CLAIM that
their computer isn't set up for partial quarts.

My 2¢
LOL so instead of leaving a .1 of a quart short they put in another whole quart or they just charge you for another whole quart at how much a quart. My feeling you need to find another place to service your car.

My thinking is that the ends are dipped into something that seals them. Not sure what that would be. I have never cut one open.
Looking closer I can see the glue line and it may be the picture being down the length of the pleats makes them look fat.

The holes in the inner tube are small and there is no way to see the thickness of the media through them. The only way is by looking at the top holes. The filter has no metal end caps. Instead both ends use a layer of glue.

Last edited:
The holes in the inner tube are small and there is now way to see the thickness of the media through them. The only way is by looking at the top holes. The filter has no metal end caps. Instead both ends use a layer of glue.
Yep ... only seeing the root of all the pleats (that's why they look so packed together) that are beneath the ring on the ends of the media.

Yeah they are sealed on the end like with a strip of glue on the pleat top side edge, then it’s squeezed together. Have cut open a bunch of them. Of course this is a newer unknown filter with the long inlet holes, not the old ones. Not like the single one Amsoil may have had tested 10 years ago with round inlet holes.

As an update to the availability of the Mazda OEM oil filters, today I was able to purchase the PY8W-14-302-MV (Made in Mexico) for the 2.5 Turbo at a local Mazda dealer. A different local Mazda dealer only sells the 1WPY-14-302 (Made in Thailand) for this engine. Both dealers only sell the PE01-14-302A-MV (Made in Mexico) for the 2.5 non-turbo. I tried to purchase online through various other Mazda dealers and it looks like they only have the 1WPY-14-302 for the turbo and the PE01-14-302A-MV for the non-turbo. So I guess different dealers use different sources to get their filters and also have different preferences as to which ones they use. All the filters made in Mexico look exactly the same inside and out, for the turbo and non-turbo, except for the filter numbers. Bypass valve design is the same, same number of holes at the top, same bypass valve style, and louvers in inner tube. So I suppose the only difference between these filters, whether made in Mexico or in Thailand, must be a higher PSI setting of the bypass valve for the turbo engine as others in this forum have stated. The filter made in Thailand is different in design, both internally and externally. See pictures previously uploaded at the beginning of this thread.

My dealer used Mobil 1 for my first pre-paid oil change. I have no complaints. They did use the made in Mexico version of the filter.

I have no reservations, the dealer put it on, its their problem if a problem occurs, somehow I very much doubt there will be anything of the kind.

They also told me simply to keep records/receipts of work/oil changes and so on that I have done away from the dealer if there's ever a warranty concern.

I let my dealer do the first oil change. They used the value filter and Total bulk oil. That was 2018. Mazda had a deal with Total. The manual states 4.5 liters with a filter. That brings the oil level barely a third up from the add mark on the dipstick. I have used all five quarts and it still doesn’t reach the full mark. The dealer filled it past the full mark. I really got my money’s worth. I have used Zepro, Mobil 1, Citgo, and now Schaeffer. I buy Mazda filters, not the value 302A filter, from my nearest dealer, not the dealer I bought my CX-5 from. I change twice a year even though it only goes about five thousand a year. Lots of short trips and lots of idling in the winter. Love remote start.

Fram specs the 6607 size filter for both engines. I have a oversize XG 7317 waiting
for oil change time as well as a magnetic drain plug.
We'll see. Not sure why Mazda specs a different filter for either engine.
the turbo should affect the oil filter at all.

My 2¢

I used mobil1 filter 108a and the Mazda Thailand filter for my NA 2019 2.0 skyactiv miata when I had it. The Mazda Thailand filter is much better quality than the mexico part. If you want to use OEM, buy that one instead. It's around the se price on Amazon. Other filters work too. Antidrain back valve is no concern.

Back