Mazda Filter Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bypass rating is irrelevant since the media has to be considered, too. Again, Wix had to spend the money to develop a special filter for the skyactiv filters. That is a huge expense. I would NOT use filters listing applications other than the skyactiv motors.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The bypass rating is irrelevant since the media has to be considered, too. Again, Wix had to spend the money to develop a special filter for the skyactiv filters. That is a huge expense. I would NOT use filters listing applications other than the skyactiv motors.

That is certainly a valid argument.

Here is what I find interesting; the Wix 51365 is similar in size to the 57002, but has an 8-11 psi bypass setting. Now, instead of just taking the 51365 and inserting a slightly stronger spring in the bypass valve, Wix seems to have re-designed the whole filter, including the use of a different baseplate. Is the media inside different? No way to tell.

For now, I'm going to keep using the Mazda filters, but I'll be interested to see what others do.

I was about to update with my response but it seems you guys beat me to it. I got the exact same response as above. Makes you wonder what is so special about this SkyActiv only filters. As a side note, I would add Purolator to the safe to use list as the filter has a similar bypass rating range and is also only specified as fitting SkyActiv engines.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I was about to update with my response but it seems you guys beat me to it. I got the exact same response as above. Makes you wonder what is so special about this SkyActiv only filters. As a side note, I would add Purolator to the safe to use list as the filter has a similar bypass rating range and is also only specified as fitting SkyActiv engines.

What is the purolator #? The last one I saw people using had multiple listed applications other than skyactiv engines.

nevermind. Same thing was noted already in this thread about Purolator and 14-18 PSI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: RamFan

What is the purolator #? The last one I saw people using had multiple listed applications other than skyactiv engines.

You know, you're right. After looking at it again the Purolator 14612 is also specified for many other makes/models.

Just an update folks. I was at the dealership today and decided to investigate this matter. I was at the service department asking about specifics of the oil filter for SkyActiv engines since there is some confusion. Interesting enough he pointed behind me at a box with a brand new 2L SkyActiv engine in it that was going into a Mazda3 because Sears put on a filter for the regular 2L instead of the SkyActiv specific one. Long story short, while the filter for the standard 2L fits, it doesn't fit quite properly enough, it is wider and the gaskets don't line up quite right which causes a slow leak. So yes, the threads match and the filter will screw on and be tight. However, the gasket itself isn't not an even match. It appears as though the larger standard 2L oil filter will cause oil to slowly seep out which could result in low oil and a possible blown engine. Apparently the lube shops are realizing this, the service manager said he has been getting calls from them asking questions about filter specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back