Mazda CX-30 anyone?

Never owned a Mazda before. The CX-30 has caught our eye. Perfect size for our needs and the ground clearence is decent at 8". Consumer reports seem to be very good for them. We were looking at a Subaru Crosstrek but not a fan of the Subaru CVT. This seems like a solid competitor and the overall feel and build quality seems far superior. Anyone have one of these to share some of their feedback?

the screen isnt touch and uses a funky rotary knob down by the armrest.
I couldnt get past it.. was the major hangup when I got the subaru vs the cx-50.

It is supposed to keep your eyes on the road but I couldnt manage to change a radio station without looking and it felt laggy.
I am sure I would have adjusted eventually.

The cx-30 is small. Room behind front seats is non-existant if your driver or passenger is 6ft.

Otherwise I drove one with the turbo and the 6speed auto was nice.. not a ton of shifting all the time.

For anyone interested in the cx-50.. might want to wait on the new model cx-70? that has the inline 6 and rwd based awd.

My first Mazda is the CX-5 Signature I bought 2 ½ years ago. Nice and peppy with the turbo, good room for stuff in the back, etc. No problems with it so far. Love the heads up display with navigation, speed, cruise control, blind spot, and all on the windshield.

The screen is a nice size, but takes some getting used to. In most functions, it is a touch screen that you can work from the know as well. Thee appear to be a few things (or my fingers not conducing) where it does not work on touch.

One of my neighbors has two CX-30s and the person across the street from them has one. They must like them. I always see that as a good sign.

Touch screen only works when the car is not in motion. Too many steps with the knob to change audio functions, but you do get better at it with time. It does have voice command which works very well with audio and destination settings.

Never owned a Mazda before. The CX-30 has caught our eye. Perfect size for our needs and the ground clearence is decent at 8". Consumer reports seem to be very good for them. We were looking at a Subaru Crosstrek but not a fan of the Subaru CVT. This seems like a solid competitor and the overall feel and build quality seems far superior. Anyone have one of these to share some of their feedback?

I have a 2017 CX5 bought brand new. It has been flawless the entire time.

The touch screen lets you use it as a touch screen when stopped but you have to use the commander knob when moving. I tend to not use it that much. Switching between radio stations can be made easier by using the favorites button which on the CX30 is right below the volume knob. Tag your favorite stations in the settings and go.

Were sort of in the market and I would like to try one, but the local dealer only gets in the higher end ones. If I am going to spend 35K on a very small CX30 I'll just get another Rav4.

Thats also another issue - not a lot of Mazda dealers around. Might be different if you live in a very large city.

From all of the automotive YouTube reviewers that I’ve watched, the CX30 is smooth, quiet, decent riding while having crisp Mazda handling dynamics and refined. And even in base form the 2.5L non-turbo is both powerful “enough” and reasonably fuel efficient. I would certainly consider it myself if we were looking at similar sizes suv.

IMHO quality appears high on new Mazda but as they age the issues rest their ugly head. Rattles , poor audio speakers, and electrical stuff.

New they look great for maybe first 6-7 years.

I just got a new CX-5 turbo and love it. Looked at the Honda and Toyota, but they had smaller engines, and I could not get by the CVT. I am old school and want a real transmission if I want an automatic. Wish they had a dual clutch.

I had a CX-30 for a few months. They're nice. We also have an Impreza with the Subaru CVT. I don't favor one over the other. The CX-30 is more refined with a nicer interior. The Crosstrek is more off-road capable with a slightly better AWD system.

I've liked Mazda's line up for quite some time. They're reliable and nice looking cars. I'd opt for the Turbo if you can.

I've had mine for 2yrs. It's a 2021 Select AWD. My wife drives it daily and averages between 26-27mpg. Only been to the dealer once for a a defective water valve that wouldn't allow it to reach operating temp. Very happy with it. Currently has 24k miles on it.

We were looking at the CX-30 and ended up with the CX-9. The biggest issue with the CX-30 for my wife was that she has long legs and could barely fit in the CX-30. Maybe it was something with the seat? :unsure: I don't know.

So far we are liking the CX-9.

We have a 2018 CX-9 and absolutely love it! The fit and finish and build quality is just really good 👍 we're sitting at 54,000 miles now can still runs beautifully! turbo motor is awesome I would go for that if you can is that an option in the cx30? My only gripe is also the infotainment system but once you get used to it not a big deal

I test drove one and compared it to the CX5 and Mazda 3 hatch. I think the size of the CX30 is the perfect size for any single person or in relationship w/no kids and has usable cargo space (compared to the CX3 or EcoSport.) Poor MPG (IMO) and small 12.7gal fuel tank means it's great for suburban life, interior is gorgeous, well built, and nearly a copy of early-mid 2010s BMW styling. I don't recommend it for roadtrips; the seats are too hard. The unreasonably hard ride and twitchy steering makes it feel zoom zoom without the actual zoom.

Ended up with a slightly used, more option'd CX5 for the price of a new CX30.

Also has a really high beltline so if you're like me and rest your elbow on the window sill, your head will be through the roof.

Last edited:
Thanks for all for the comments and input. I'm going to look at one on Monday and see what we think.

Drove a Mazda 6 for a couple years and it was a great car. Sadly, it was demolished in a Walmart parking lot buy a guy that missed his break pedal and hit the gas. I miss it and so does my wife. I'd just given it to her 3 days earlier.

My daughter has a 2021 CX-30 and she really likes it. I agree that the infotainment system is overly complicated but I also found MyFordTouch too complicated so it's probably me.

She has approx. 28K trouble free miles. I find the quality of materials used by Mazda to be very good.

Back