Mazda 6 Duratec 3.0L V-6...Normally a Clean Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
coffeetime.gif
Good Morning, and Happy Monday.

Our other daughter (not related by birth) came over to the house with her new car, a 2003 Mazda 6 with the 3.0L V6. I gave it the once over and noticed that the area under the oil fill cap that I could see was clean as a whistle at 75k miles. It was also a quart and a half low.

The question is whether, in anyone's experience, this is a naturally clean engine inside or whether this one was just an extremely clean example that was well taken care of oil-wise.

The normal fill appears to be 5w-20, as noted on the oil fill cap. Just as an aside question, is that weight oil a little less sludge and varnish prone than the 30 & 40 weights?

Quote:

3.0 Duratec holds 6.5 quarts of oil, one reason the engine stays clean.

The Mazda 6S and Tribute are listed @ 5.5 quarts. 6 quarts will bring it to the max fill line. And yes, that engine is nice and clean on a steady diet of Motorcraft 5W-20. @ 5k miles the oil still looks like new in my wife's Tribute.

I have a 2005 Duratec. Only at ~28K miles but seems to be a 'clean' running engine.

5K on MC 5W20 is great and 5K on PP, QS synth, or Synpower when on sale/rebate ($1-2)is even better. FL-820s at Walmart for $3.28 rounds out the deal. I don't think these combo's get much better.

I have a 2006 model and have been running M1 5w20 in it since new - its clean as can be inside the oil fill cover. I have noticed that after driving it for a while then checking the oil it can appear low on the stick - After the car sits on level ground for about 5 minutes the stick registers full - There must be some crevices where the oil collects then gradually goes back into the pan.

Quote:

Porsche actually helped develop the V6 Duratec FYI. However Ford/Mazda gave it variable timing when they decided to drop it in the Mazda 6.

Yeah, I dont think it is technically a "duratec."

The 6 had been sitting for a while when we finally got around to checking it out, so I'm sure it was about as drained as it was going to get. It was sitting slightly nose down and to the left, but not much.

I concur with a program of MC 5w-20 and filter at 5k miles, so will suggest that as standard. There's no owner's manual with it (that she's found yet), so I'll have to get her one, and a Chilton's repair manual for me.

Thanks much for your assistance. She's pretty tickled about it, and it didn't drive too badly. If she can keep it shiny side up it should be a good car for her.

It is a nice engine. It does tend to stay clean if reasonably well maintained. I have two of them, one in a 98 Contour SVT and the other in an 03 Escape Limited. Both are as clean as you described.

Neither one, the SVT or the Escape, is identical to the Mazda 6 engine. The SVT has a smaller bore making it 2.5 liters as well as hotter cams. The Escape doesn't have the variable cam timing that the Mazda 6 has. Intake manifolding is different on all three engines. All three are basically the same engine though.

There were 2 Duratec 25's and I'm thinking that the Duratec 30 is more like the later (AJ) version found in the MPV.
Or are the Jag and SVT engines similar? If so, what's different about the MPV engine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine#Mondeo_V6
Duratec 25
The Duratec 25 is a 2.5 L (2544 cc) 60° V6 and was introduced in 1994. It was developed for the Ford Mondeo and used in the Ford Contour, Ford Cougar, Jaguar X-Type, and others. The Duratec 25 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 and 1996, and the SVT version made the list for 1998 and 1999.

An SVT version produced 195 hp (145 kW) and 165 ft·lbf (224 N·m) in 1998. Further improvements were made in 1999 that raised power output to 200 hp (149 kW) and 169 ft·lbf (229 N·m) and were carried over in the 2000 model. The SVT engine was used in the 1998-2000 Ford Contour SVT.

Bore is 82.4 mm and stroke is 79.5 mm on most 2.5 L Mondeo-derived engines for a total of 2544 cc. Mazda used the same block and camshaft in their 2000 MPV. However, they reduced the size to 2.49 L to keep under a 2.5 L tax cap in Japan. It was replaced in 2002 with the larger 3.0 L Duratec 30-based Mazda AJ.

Duratec 30
The Ford Duratec 30 Engine in a Mercury Sable.The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 232 in³ (3.8 L) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 hp (150 and 180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 89 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford Motor Company's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004.

There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:

DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 RPM with 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.
RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 RPM with 207 ft·lbf (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.
The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 utilizing variable valve timing. The engine has an output of 221 hp (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.

A Twin-turbocharged version of this engine is used in the Noble M400, a British supercar. The engine is rebuilt and tuned to a max power of 425 bhp @ 6500 rpm, with a torque figure of 390 ft·lbf @ 5000 rpm. Noble has used forged pistons, an oil cooler, a larger baffled oil sump and extra cooling ducts to maintain its durability.

Mazda's MZI version adds variable valve timing, as does Jaguar's AJ30. Note that the MZI name is also used in Europe on Mazda's version of the Ford Sigma I4. The 3.0 L, 226 hp V6 used in the Mondeo ST220 is called Duratec ST. The 3.0 L, 204 hp V6 in the Mondeo Titanium is called Duratec SE.

It is my understanding that Mazda does not use the Jaguar version with the heads with direct action valves. I don't know this for certain, but I do remember being that being published when the Mazda 6 was introduced as well as some Mazda 6 owners that cross posted on the Contour boards. My understanding is that the Mazda engine is most like the Fusion engine.

I have not verified this, but I'm of the impression that Wikipedia is incorrect on this point. Most of the rest of that article seems to be very accurate.

I put 175,000 miles on my 00 Mazda Mpv with the 2.5 V Duratec motor. It was burning 3/4 quart at 10K OCI with 175,000 mile on it. Great motor and was easy on the oil.

Quote:

I have a 2006 model and have been running M1 5w20 in it since new - its clean as can be inside the oil fill cover. I have noticed that after driving it for a while then checking the oil it can appear low on the stick - After the car sits on level ground for about 5 minutes the stick registers full - There must be some crevices where the oil collects then gradually goes back into the pan.

On my 2005 it holds 6 qts. If you have someone else change oil check work order and level to see if they put correct amount in.

I find I let it sit for ~20 minutes after operation for the oil to register at Full mark. It looks like it may be low by 1/4 qt initially.

This is curious. I suspect the valve (24 valve) area may be holding some oil, but have not analyzed a flow schematic. This could be by design to keep oil level low in the main pan for better efficiency (poor mans dry sump). BTW, my Porsche is dry sump.

IF THIS IS TRUE, I worry about a "controlled drain back" path getting clogged latter in engine life if oil is neglected. Then again, I worry about a lot of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back