Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus Shootout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer a couple of the questions:

-these were both 2013. The Mazda had about 22K on it already, the Focus had 12K.

-as far as quieting up the Mazda (or any car), I'd start by sound deadening the doors and then move on to the rest of the car. It involves quite a bit of dismantling the interior, but in my experience the end result is worth it if you take your time. That said, on this particular car there may be some issues which would be tough to overcome: the door seals and the mirrors seem to be one of the sources. I've done this with almost every car I've owned (except the Transit Connect, which was beyond help) and it's helped in all of them.

-I didn't know there were reports of transmission issues w/the Focus, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was wondering if it was a software or hardware issue, but either way with a new car I wouldn't want to be the beta tester. The Mazda Skyactiv transmission supposedly has some funny technology to it as well. The transmission in this car was really nice, coming from someone who hates stepped autos. I'd still prefer the manual, unless it's geared too short. The Mazda was 1,750 rpm @ 60mph, which was pleasant for engine noise on the highway and probably helped the FE.

-As far as the interior, my initial thoughts on the Focus when seeing photos was "whoa, that's ridiculous", but in person it's not bad. Like I said earlier, a little more garish than the 3, but everything seems to be in the right place. The layout is pretty intuitive.

Transmission aside, these cars are pretty similar--which seems to be a good thing, as they're both nice cars. Cargo space is a big deal for me, so the interior layout is going to matter--a lot. So, I'm going to look at both hatches. The other car in the mix is the Prius V (wagon). More expensive, more room, drives a bit like a toaster. I should mention that I also had a chance to drive a Cruze. I didn't even bother, since there's no hatchback (in the U.S.).

Yeah, at first blush the Focus has a bit of a video came console fee to it, but honestly I think a lot of it is the ridiculous radio. I'll put a double din head unit in either one though (a 7" tablet screen), so that will clean things up considerably--and the position of the head unit will actually be a little better for Navigation w/the Focus.

The rest of it actually seems OK once you're in the car, at least to me. The switch gear and materials all looked and felt pretty good---a million times better than my Freestyle, that's for sure. But yeah, overall the 3's interior has more of the traditional Euro feel.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Well it sure doesn't (win), IMO. The Japanese has done a better job of the Euro - middle console/dash in this case. MUCH cleaner/mature looking, despite the nav sticking up, but everyone does that these days.
The Focus has too much weird shaped bling trim.

I actually don't mind the focus instrumentation layout, but do agree Mazda 3's interior looks more classy.

Originally Posted By: JOD
To answer a couple of the questions:

-these were both 2013. The Mazda had about 22K on it already, the Focus had 12K.

Wait a minute wait a minute..... this was a 2013 Mazda3? So the smileyface one, not the new generation? I all of a sudden lost all interest in this thread......

As a huge Mazda fan I have to say the new 3 dash fails in the functionality dept. The focus is a bit more complicated but I like it MUCH better. The cluster of the new 3 is just terrible. Give me a speedo and a tach where I can read both clearly whenever I want. Huge fail on Mazda's part.

Mazda nailed it with the new Mazda6 dash, though.

Last edited:
I'd definitely take the Mazda; the Focus isn't bad, but I prefer the style and driving dynamics of the 3.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The cluster of the new 3 is just terrible. Give me a speedo and a tach where I can read both clearly whenever I want. Huge fail on Mazda's part.

I don't understand your complaint.
The digital speed readout is large, and INSIDE OF the Tachometer readout.
Plus, if you get a version of the Mazda 3 with the heads up display unit, then you have a second version, in your line of sight looking directly in front of you.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayP...interior-design

Your argument doesn't have much merit at the moment.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
The cluster of the new 3 is just terrible. Give me a speedo and a tach where I can read both clearly whenever I want. Huge fail on Mazda's part.

I don't understand your complaint.
The digital speed readout is large, and INSIDE OF the Tachometer readout.
Plus, if you get a version of the Mazda 3 with the heads up display unit, then you have a second version, in your line of sight looking directly in front of you.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayP...interior-design

Your argument doesn't have much merit at the moment.

BC.

You need to sit in one and drive it to have an opinion. It is terrible. There needs to be an MPH gauge and a tach, not one or the other. And when you have a stick, you get an MPH gauge, not a tach. It is terrible.

Your weak attempts at commenting on something you haven't tried have no merit.

Last edited:
The website that Bladecutter posted shows a large tachometer in the dash, with an automatic transmission. badtlc, you're saying that if you opt for the manual transmission Mazda removes the large tachometer and replaces it with a conventional speedometer gauge, and there's NO tachometer?

If true, that would indeed be baffling.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
badtlc, you're saying that if you opt for the manual transmission Mazda removes the large tachometer and replaces it with a conventional speedometer gauge, and there's NO tachometer?

If true, that would indeed be baffling.

From what I understand, with a manual trans, you get a large center speedo and a small digital tach on the left...

9283_st0640_062.jpg

It may vary by engine version though. I've read somewhere that the 2.5 engine version with manual trans gets a large center tach.

I've driven both of those and still prefer the elantra gt. I wasn't impressed at all with the Ford. I test drove the 3 and had the ford as a rental in San Fran. I can't comment on gas mileage...

Originally Posted By: glock19
Here is a closer shot of the alternative gauge cluster in question.

Alternative? That's the standard gauge cluster for all Mazda 3 cars with auto trans, AFAIK.

You need to sit in one and drive it to have an opinion. It is terrible. There needs to be an MPH gauge and a tach, not one or the other. And when you have a stick, you get an MPH gauge, not a tach. It is terrible.

Your weak attempts at commenting on something you haven't tried have no merit.

As per the picture posted , that's the same setup as my manual RX-8 had.
A large tach, with a digital readout inside of it.
It is extremely functional, and I drove the RX-8 for several years, and never had an issue with it.

Your knowledge of what others have and haven't done in their own personal lives have about as much merit as your own attempts at scathing comments, which, if you haven't been able to tell just yet, leave a lot to be desired.

Again, the dash changes depending on which trim level of Mazda 3 you buy.
Have you sat in every possible combination as of yet?
I certainly haven't, but I've been in enough Mazda's over the last several years to have a really good understanding of their interiors. There's a tach in every car, manual or auto. Whether it's in the center or on the side is a matter of trim package, as far as I have been able to see so far.

BC.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I've driven both of those and still prefer the elantra gt. I wasn't impressed at all with the Ford. I test drove the 3 and had the ford as a rental in San Fran. I can't comment on gas mileage...

I'll definitely check out the Elantra GT as well. The one big appeal to me is that is appears the cargo floor is flatter on the Elantra than the others with the rear seats down. This is why I'm going to have to check out the actual hatch versions of each of these cars.

As far as the speedo/console thing, the 2013 Mazda 3 still had the traditional set-up. For me, buying a "new" car means most likely finding a 1-2 year old car, so the 2014 Mazda 3 isn't on the table yet...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Alternative? That's the standard gauge cluster for all Mazda 3 cars with auto trans, AFAIK.

I just meant the alternative gauge cluster to the one Quattro Pete had posted.

I'll definitely check out the Elantra GT as well. The one big appeal to me is that is appears the cargo floor is flatter on the Elantra than the others with the rear seats down. This is why I'm going to have to check out the actual hatch versions of each of these cars.

As far as the speedo/console thing, the 2013 Mazda 3 still had the traditional set-up. For me, buying a "new" car means most likely finding a 1-2 year old car, so the 2014 Mazda 3 isn't on the table yet...

Always good to explore your options. I've seen my car offered to me at 16.5k That's alot of car for the money. With the seats folded flat, I've transported alot of stuff. Have fun on your car search.

If you felt this way about the 2013, I'm sure you'd like the 2014 model even more. Big improvements all around based on reviews. I haven't driven a new 3 yet unfortunately but based on the prices I am seeing, you might be able to pick up a new 6 for about the same price with the manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I just meant the alternative gauge cluster to the one Quattro Pete had posted.

Oh, go it. Actually the one you posted was posted earlier by 97tbird, too.
smile.gif

We looked at the Elantra before we drove the Ford Cmax, Mazda 3 and a few others. Now we needed a hatchback so your search may lead you in a little different route. My wife and I both did not like the "feel" of the elantra, it just felt flimsy?
However the full sunroof was bad-ace! I loved the Sonata too, but no hatch tossed that one! One thing I did find with the Elantra was that the latch to lock the rear passenger seat in the upright position was faulty...myself and the GM of the Hyundai dealer looked at 4 other Elantra hatchbacks on the lot and found the exact problem with 3 of them- definitely not safe for a kid or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back