Maybe my last change for the Hummer

I don't use ramps because the plug is at the front side of the pan. 2 on the filter may be the thing to do.
If you can give me the dimensions of your sump where your plug is located, ( length and width of the sump and total length of the pan, I’ll calculate exactly how many ounces of oil is left behind if you used a ramp. I’m assuming you have a sump in the front part of your pan. Keep in mind that your pan probably has a small tilt from back to front into the sump. Do you have the 3.7 or the 5.3? :)

I will be 68 in 17 days and getting down is easy for the most part. If I couldn't pull myself up on the front brush guard I'd still be down there. I have been trying to do exercises for my legs and knees but they aren't obliging much.
I'm 76, and sometimes have difficulty getting off the ground. My sweetie is older than I, does a lot of gardening, and uses a gardener's knee pad. I find that when I try to get up, and roll over on to my knees, having the pad beneath them reduces pressure and makes the trip to verticle more pleasant and somewhat easier. There are numerous styles and sizes of these pads, do a search and see if there's one that works for you.

I'm 76, and sometimes have difficulty getting off the ground. My sweetie is older than I, does a lot of gardening, and uses a gardener's knee pad. I find that when I try to get up, and roll over on to my knees, having the pad beneath them reduces pressure and makes the trip to verticle more pleasant and somewhat easier. There are numerous styles and sizes of these pads, do a search and see if there's one that works for you.
Thanks, will do.

Performed the annual oil change on my wife's H3 today. It was a nice sunny day in the mid-70s. I got out my yoga mat and all the tools I needed and slid under the truck.
I have to take two skid plates off to get to the oil plug and filter. All is going well and then I have to get up to put in the oil. It was like I was Velcroed to the concrete.
I will be 68 in 17 days and getting down is easy for the most part. If I couldn't pull myself up on the front brush guard I'd still be down there. I have been trying to do exercises for my legs and knees but they aren't obliging much.
Maybe I'll try and do a remote filter that's a little more accessible and use an extractor next time.
I doubt 69 is going to be better.
Pennzoil 5w30 High Mileage conventional went in.
Hello Manicrodder. When you mentioned your plug is at the front, is it at the “ side front” or at the very front of the pan. Here is what I mean as “side front”.

E4CDA6C3-7A13-4181-A836-28B5EE97BFA4.jpg

Your wheel base of your Hummer H3 is 112 inches. I have a set of Pine-o’s that moves the vehicles up 6 inches at the front wheels. I find the 6 inch lift at the front of the vehicle makes it way easier to move around underneath. Six inches with a 120” wheel base imparts an angle of 2.8 degrees of slope at the oil pan. The oil level in the pan is above the top of the sump. Most the oil is in the sump itself. The only oil left behind because of the 2.8 degree slop is a minute amount that failed to fall into the sump because of the slope. That amount is so small it has no practical bearing on the dilution of your fresh oil. I recommend you get some ramps to make it much easier to move underneath the vehicle.

If anyone else wants to debate this issue I am more than willing. :)

Your wheel base of your Hummer H3 is 112 inches. I have a set of Pine-o’s that moves the vehicles up 6 inches at the front wheels. I find the 6 inch lift at the front of the vehicle makes it way easier to move around underneath. Six inches with a 120” wheel base imparts an angle of 2.8 degrees of slope at the oil pan. The oil level in the pan is above the top of the sump. Most the oil is in the sump itself. The only oil left behind because of the 2.8 degree slop is a minute amount that failed to fall into the sump because of the slope. That amount is so small it has no practical bearing on the dilution of your fresh oil. I recommend you get some ramps to make it much easier to move underneath the vehicle.

Thank you. I do have a pair of Rhinos but don't use them on the H3 because I still end up on my back. The ramps would place the truck up more than 6". Plug is on the side front on driver side.

I used 6” ramps on my Hummer H3, the Canyon, and Colorado …
5k changes with synthetic lubes - and the dipstick oil was clean …
Only used 4 ramps for non engine lubes or misc things …

One thing I find works in combination with ramps is to try stay on my side rather than flat on my back. I find it’s easier to move around and get out from underneath. Plus 1 on the oil extracter as well. :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I do have a pair of Rhinos but don't use them on the H3 because I still end up on my back. The ramps would place the truck up more than 6". Plug is on the side front on driver side.
That’s best with the plug in the side of the front located sump. You won’t be leaving behind any significant amount of oil in the sump when using ramps.

One thing I find works in combination with ramps is to try stay on my side rather than flat on my back. I find it’s easier to move around and get out from underneath. Plus 1 on the oil extracter as well. :)
That does help but I lie on my back to remove/replace the skid plates.

Well, if you did find one would the oil selection take a similar length of time in decision? You can't have every car but you could run every oil in your car.
But that ain't the real me. When I'm serious I just do it... No BS.
Oils after all the years... I stick with two basically. No drama in real life.
My nonsense comes from dealing with real consumers for many decades...lol

You guys are all lucky
I can't find a vehicle to change oil on...........
Then the
But that ain't the real me. When I'm serious I just do it... No BS.
Oils after all the years... I stick with two basically. No drama in real life.
My nonsense comes from dealing with real consumers for many decades...lol
So.......are you saying that you have not been serious about purchasing a car after the multitude of pages in the pick me a car thread?

Then the

So.......are you saying that you have not been serious about purchasing a car after the multitude of pages in the pick me a car thread?
Yes I am but I already know what it will be. I won't waste a salespersons time in real life. Never would. When I talk to one im ready to buy unless they are shady. Im waiting for one vehicle that is new to the market and if I like it i will buy it. If not #2 will be purchased without drama.

The first vehicle is not on the lots yet but soon will be.

Yes I am but I already know what it will be. I won't waste a salespersons time in real life. Never would. When I talk to one im ready to buy unless they are shady. Im waiting for one vehicle that is new to the market and if I like it i will buy it. If not #2 will be purchased without drama.

The first vehicle is not on the lots yet but soon will be.
Now that it's perfectly clear.....,🥴

Back