Maybe my last change for the Hummer

manicrodder

$50 site donor 2022
Performed the annual oil change on my wife's H3 today. It was a nice sunny day in the mid-70s. I got out my yoga mat and all the tools I needed and slid under the truck.
I have to take two skid plates off to get to the oil plug and filter. All is going well and then I have to get up to put in the oil. It was like I was Velcroed to the concrete.
I will be 68 in 17 days and getting down is easy for the most part. If I couldn't pull myself up on the front brush guard I'd still be down there. I have been trying to do exercises for my legs and knees but they aren't obliging much.
Maybe I'll try and do a remote filter that's a little more accessible and use an extractor next time.
I doubt 69 is going to be better.
Pennzoil 5w30 High Mileage conventional went in.

If you don't want to go with a remote filter, what about taking a Fram Ultra (good for 2 years) to a mechanic you trust--and if trust isn't there, at least to a place you can watch to make sure they put in the filter--to have that and a good oil (or even your PHM that you brought) put in? Every other change could then be done with you and the extractor.

I hear you brother. I'm still doing my own maintenance at 72 but like you I tell people that getting under the car isn't a problem, getting up is. If I don't have anything to pull myself up with I've perfected the technique of rolling over, getting on one knee and pushing up on the other bent knee. I know the day is coming when I have to give it up but I'm fighting it as long as I can.

I hear you brother. I'm still doing my own maintenance at 72 but like you I tell people that getting under the car isn't a problem, getting up is. If I don't have anything to pull myself up with I've perfected the technique of rolling over, getting on one knee and pushing up on the other bent knee. I know the day is coming when I have to give it up but I'm fighting it as long as I can.
Like you, trying to what I can do.

Roll over to get on your knees first … then stand …
To do a remote filter the right way is costly … braided hose etc …
Probably cheaper to find a bring your own oil changer …

Performed the annual oil change on my wife's H3 today. It was a nice sunny day in the mid-70s. I got out my yoga mat and all the tools I needed and slid under the truck.
I have to take two skid plates off to get to the oil plug and filter. All is going well and then I have to get up to put in the oil. It was like I was Velcroed to the concrete.
I will be 68 in 17 days and getting down is easy for the most part. If I couldn't pull myself up on the front brush guard I'd still be down there. I have been trying to do exercises for my legs and knees but they aren't obliging much.
Maybe I'll try and do a remote filter that's a little more accessible and use an extractor next time.
I doubt 69 is going to be better.
Pennzoil 5w30 High Mileage conventional went in.
I'm 81 and still doing my own oil changes, my wife thinks I'm crazy but I have done them all my life and it's really hard to stop doing them. Like everyone said the easy part is getting down but getting up gets harder all the time. My wife's MB is easy as the filter is on top of the engine and I use a Topsider to suck the oil out of the dip stick tube. The filter on my Ford Ranger can be reached through the left fender well and with the Topsider I don't have to go underneath either car any more.

I'm 81 and still doing my own oil changes, my wife thinks I'm crazy but I have done them all my life and it's really hard to stop doing them. Like everyone said the easy part is getting down but getting up gets harder all the time. My wife's MB is easy as the filter is on top of the engine and I use a Topsider to suck the oil out of the dip stick tube. The filter on my Ford Ranger can be reached through the left fender well and with the Topsider I don't have to go underneath either car any more.
Good on you Hans don't give it up says an ole guy right behind you at 77

Not sure if you used ramps as the H3 is pretty high. If not, a set of ramps gives you a bit more room to bend your knees and give yourself some leverage. You might consider doing two OCI’s with the filter to avoid the hassle. Every bit helps. ;)

Not sure if you used ramps as the H3 is pretty high. If not, a set of ramps gives you a bit more room to bend your knees and give yourself some leverage. You might consider doing two OCI’s with the filter to avoid the hassle. Every bit helps. ;)
When I had an H3 … the 4.56 gears took it up 4 ramps like it was pea gravel 😷

Actually owned 3 different GMT345/55 vehicles

I don't use ramps because the plug is at the front side of the pan. 2 on the filter may be the thing to do.

Back