maxlife for my leaky Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had the oil pan resealed on my 2011 Sonata, but its still leaking slightly. I'm fed up dealing with the dealer service dept and I really don't want them tampering with my car any more. They broke off a tiny piece of the block where the pan bolts up.

I'm strongly considering maxlife syn blend from here on out to subside the leakage.

What course of action would be best, short of going back to the dealer? The car has 68,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
They broke off a tiny piece of the block where the pan bolts up.

shocked2.gif
No oil on Earth is going to stop a problem like that. I'd be contacting Hyundai corporate about that; if they can't do something so simple as an oil pan gasket. You could take it to a private local shop and see if they could resurrect something with RTV sealant, but HM oil with seal conditioner isn't going to stop a leak where engine block material is literally missing.

My vote is on going back to the dealer/contacting Hyundai directly. shoddy work should be dealt with, and not shrugged off on you.

Local VW dealer Fitzgerald -Hicks broke my subframe pem studs and didn't torque the half shafts on a new car, new engine r&r for wrong big end clearance fix recall on my 1988 FOX 1.8L MT.

An oil won't fix this leak. Considering it has a new gasket, no oil will stop that from leaking... unless you stick some sort of 20W-60 in there and the temperature is -20F... THEN it may not leak ;-)

But, seriously, the only time one can hope for an oil to stop a leak from a gasket is if the oil can rejuvenate the gasket from the "dry and crunchy" state. In this case, you have a brand new gasket, so the leak is either coming from improper installation and/or the chip they made in your block (WOW, stupid mechanics).

If you don't take care of this issue with the dealership now, you will be kicking yourself in the [censored] down the road for not getting it worked out. Dealership managers are so [censored] stingy. They should have manned up and took care of the problem, but instead, they sent you back home with it.

This is a no gasket design. The pan is sealed via RTV.

It like pulling teeth going to the dealership. The service advisor I dealt with last time was a snob nose [censored].plus I gave them a less than stellar score on the survey so I'm reluctant to go back for fear of retaliation.

The car doesn't seem to be leaking nearly as bad, but its still not 100%. *sigh*

I will call corporate.

Thanks for the replies.

I feel your pain. I have been screwed by dealerships before. I thought "aww, screw it, I'll just go home and deal with it myself". Sometimes that was ok, a couple of times it wasn't. To this day, those memories still flash in my head and just burn me up. When I drive by the dealership, I think to myself "how many car windows would I need to break to get even with them?"

So, I realize it's easier said than done, I just don't want others going through that pain lol.

Thanks for clearing me up on the no gasket design. I hope the tiny piece of block that is broken off isn't causing the problem. Hopefully all it needs is a proper seal made.

Best of luck to you, whichever way you choose to go from here. Keep us updated if possible.

Go back to any dealer.it does not have to be the one that messed you up.
No 2011 car should have an oil leak
If you cant get it fixed I would call the regional manager
I hope they can help
By no means would I let it slide
Good luck

I agree to go back to the dealer...They need to complete the work and fix what they messed up. Maxlife wont stop this leak because the gap is probably too large. You're not trying to swell seals, the gasket wont swell using a HM oil.

Im sorry to hear about this. Contact HMA if you need some additional help. They are actually quite nice and eager to assist.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I recently had the oil pan resealed on my 2011 Sonata, but its still leaking slightly. I'm fed up dealing with the dealer service dept and I really don't want them tampering with my car any more. They broke off a tiny piece of the block where the pan bolts up.

I'm strongly considering maxlife syn blend from here on out to subside the leakage.

What course of action would be best, short of going back to the dealer? The car has 68,000 miles.

I was wondering if mine was the only one leaking on the back right corner...???
Hyundai tried 3X and on that 3rd time was with a new pan. Still didn't work.

Always leaked back right corner. I found out why on the floor of my buddy's garage!

After two days of draining, with the pan off of course, the oil was STILL draining, and guess where? Yep, back right wall leading to the back right corner! Let it drain enough to where I had about a 30 minute window to reseal it and was sure to let all surfaces 'tack up' before re-assembly. That was just over 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since, and I really hope it doesn't!

You would think a .50 gasket (which nobody uses nowadays) would be far better than all that warranty work, but what do I know?

The car is THREE YEARS OLD. It should NOT be leaking. Put me down in the camp that Hyundai be forced to fix the car, including a new engine short block if necessary. It is under warranty and they did cause damage to your car.

Yep, corner closest to the drain plug. So your's was leaking from the timing cover?? Was it easy to reseal? I'd rather try it than [censored] with a dealer.

3 years old and over $7000 still owed on loan. Sickening, right?

I agree that you should take it back to the Hyundai dealer and have them take care of this. NO 3 year old car should be leaking oil, I hope they didn't really put a chip in your engine block. I would take it to Hyundai's regional manager for your area if they continue to give you problems.

I hate having dealers touch my cars because they never seem to get it right. On the other hand you are under warranty and they are the ones that messed it up in the first place. If the dealer doesn't have anything to say about it I would deal with Hyundai directly. No excuse for a car that new to be leaking all over the place. If you bother Hyundai enough they will do something about it. If you want to get real nasty with them you may even get it bought back. Often times they try to remedy the situation with a free extended warranty. I would like to see them fix it right in the first place. But it never hurts to try.

Got appt Tuesday at dealer for sh1ts and giggles. I have no realistic expectations. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

After the 3rd try I decided to do it myself so I wouldn't waste so much time screwing with them. Love the car, but an oil leak was totally unacceptable especially being a year old at the time...

An oil pan gasket is just too expensive nowadays huh?

Your car is still under warranty so be polite bu firm with them
If you act like its not a big deal they will act accordingly

I had my appt Tuesday. The service writer took pics of the leak and acknowledged the previous dealer's shoddy work. He had to wait on approval from the regional Hyundai rep. Got a call today to drop the car off next tuesday for a pan replacement and a loaner car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back