Maxlife dex/merc ATF ok in 2500hd transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to shed some light here, because I've gone DEEP into this topic on another website.

First, we need to be specific about which transfer case we're speaking of, and then make sure we understand all the different fluids GM has used in certain applications.

There is an "Auto Trak" t-case system that is an automated 4x4 system; it is common in the SUV and light-duty truck applications. It will automatically switch to 4x4 mode by monitoring the ABS sensors, etc. The PCM will decide when to switch into 4x4 for you, if you're in "auto" mode. You can over-ride this and go into full time 4wd by manually switching into it. This is NOT the same type system as what I'll next discuss.

There is an electronically shifted 4x4 system, where you run in 2WD at all times, until the driver decides to shift into 4x4 mode, by pushing a button. All this does is cause an electronic solenoid to shift the t-case as well as move a locking collar on the CAD (center axle disconnect) on the front axle. This type system can be found on light duty trucks and the 2500HD and 3500HD trucks.

Finally, there is an ol-skool system where there is a manual shift lever on the floor. Same options as the former above, but you manually shift the t-case. There is also still an electronic solenoid that shifts the locking collar on the CAD, though.

Now that you understand those options, then we can now discuss fluids.

GM has an "AutoTrak" fluid. It is essentially an ATF with a whole lot of AW stuff in it. It was spec'd for the AutoTrak systems. It's uber expensive (as most OEM fluids are) and it's a good idea to use for the AutoTrak systems because they have a unique approach to the 4x4 automated switching mode. But it's completely unneccessary for the "traditional" 4x4 t-cases.

GM used to have the DEX III fluid; we're all familiar with that. For many, many years, that was the fluid put into the NV 261 (manual shift) and 263 (electronic shift) HD t-cases. That is the fluid that was in mind when NV designed the t-case with GM. It works just fine in that application. When GM quit the DEX III licensing, they had not gone through all the way and proven the "new" DEX VI into all apps. They only focused on auto trannies at first. And so there were applications where former DEX III fluids were left wanting. So GM took the former DEX III fluid and renamed it "Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid". Yes - they actually took the exact same spec for the former DEX III and simply renamed it to an application specific to manual trannies and t-cases. Same specs, same color, etc. Here is a picture of it that I bought and posted online for proof:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachm...se-dsc02205.jpg
Here is a quote from GM at the time; it may not be relevant today, though:
"This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.
Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 US (88861801 Canada). If fluid p/n 88861800 US (88861801 Canada) is not yet availble when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.
DO NOTE used Dexron VI i nplace of manual tranmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result."

For those of you who simply MUST HAVE a GM DEX III fluid, then you can buy this stuff and it is exactly the same, but under a new name and part number. Last time I checked, it was still available.

Only later, when they did a redesign of the t-case with the new body style in 2008, did they switch to the DEX VI fluid in the t-cases as an approved fluid.

Additionally, GM also has a manual tranny fluid that is a darker fluid, intended for other synchromesh applications. It is gear oil type fluid, and not to be confused with the red ATF based fluid I mentioned above.

My point is that GM has used many different fluids, in many different applications, and GM is known for (at best being described as) misleading and confusing statements when it comes to fluids, to be blunt.

So, for the OP, if you have a 263 t-case that called for the former DEX III, then your selection of the MaxLife is a perfect solution. Any fluid that would be targeted for the former Dex III/Mercon type fluid applications, will benefit from such continued use.

******* SIDE TOPIC of INTEREST:

I will make a side note here, because there is much contention on some other sites about the topic I'll next discuss ...
There is an article in a trade magazine where Mike Weinberg from Rockland Standard Gear makes mention of ditching the ATF and using a 5w-30 motor oil in the aforementioned t-cases. His entire thought is that ATF is "too thin" and "evaporates" from the t-case. I know this because I personally emailed him several years ago about this very topic, and had a detailed email conversation. I also did exhaustive research on the topic, and it is my conclusion that his recommendation is based upon old school thinking. When I challendged him on any meaningful criteria (vis ranges, AW properties, maintenance criteria) he offered no credible answer that would lead me to believe he put any real research into the topic. Simply put, he SWAG'd it.

To be fair, I also contacted engineers at NV, and one at Jasper reman (very well respected reman entity in IN). I also contacted the reman industry leaders. Of all of them, every single one EXCEPT Weinberg, said that using OEM spec fluids was the right approach. And no entity would back up their warranty unless you used correct OEM spec'd fluids.

Now, I'm not saying that motor oil will destroy the t-case; there is no proof of that. But there is also zero proof that motor oil is "better" in those applications he refers to.

Mike's premise was that, as a reman source, they see a lot of t-cases come in with no fluid. He blamed the ATF. However, I would contend that is not a fault of the ATF, but a fault of poor maintenance on the part of the vehicle owners. Why blame ATF for a fluid level at zero? Would you blame the motor oil if your crankcase were dry, too? Is it the fault of the GL-5 when your diff grinds to a powder for a lack of lube? His assertion of using motor oil is based upon a false premise; that ATF is unfit for use in the t-case. I contend that if your t-case fluid level it low, it's YOUR fault, and not that of the fluid. As much as folks are often overly anal about their engine oil, many simply neglect the other driveline components when it comes to fluid level checks. While that many not be true of BITOGers, it most certainly is true of the general public.

As most of us know, many synthetic fluids will often resist evaporation moreso than lesser fluids. If Mike believed that ATF was an issue, then why not recommend syn ATF? That way, you'd have a properly spec'd fluid, with higher temp NOACK properties, all for the right application. But instead, he simply went ol-skool and thought "motor oil must be thicker, so it must be better." Nothing could be further from the truth.

You will not find an Auto-Trak transfer case on any 2500HD. The 2007- HD trucks do have issues with their transfer cases called "pump rub" where the pump rubs through the transfer case. In 2007.5 that was fixed with the switch to the LMM engine and transfer case modifications were made. Running MTL isn't a "fix" for the problem as it is a mechanical issue, but can delay the onset of it. However it is common in the community for these guys not only to run 5w30, but to fill this through the sensor hole in the top past the fill hole. I will say that in the cases where people have asked for this, I did talk them into using MaxLife. We still would continue to fill through the sensor on the top upon request. I know, I'm repeating some of dnewton3's words, just wording differently I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks...so a dex VI fluid is ok to use as long as it lists dex III compatibility as well...as in the case of maxlife?

Don't use a Dexron VI or low visc equivalent. Use a full synth ATF. Overfill or go thicker.

Address the pump rub issue already mentioned.

Those superior engineers created the problem. So, I will take their recommendations with a grain of salt.

I meant to mention that autotrac fluid was in it when I originally drained it. The used car stealer put it in when I bought it apparently. Bluish and a bit thicker than the dex3.

The AutoTrak fluid probably did no harm, but it's not the right fluid. Get rid of it and put in the right stuff. It's this simple; for your rig, use a DEX/Merc type syn fluid and fill it to the top of the fill hole.

There is NO need to overfill the case as some do through the VSS hold. That is part of the whole Weinberg "if some is good, more is better" manure.

There are two issues surrounding the 261/263 cases:
1) evaporation of the OEM fluid after LONG, IGNORED intevals
2) Pump Rub
The key to understand here is that there are two possible causes to one resultant condition. Low fluid levels can either be a factor of neglecting to check fluids that evaporate, or having a hole develop in the case. Two roads to the same undesirable destination. Once the fluid is really low, or gone, it's not long before the xfer case will eat itself inside out, in a big nasty hurry.

Problem #1 really isn't a problem if you're not lazy; just check your fluid level once in a while. However, using a syn can basically make this a non issue. Use Dex/Merc type ATF. Only use Dex VI if you have a 2007.5 or newer with the "new" redesigned xfer case. There is nothing wrong with using a "normal" dino ATF, but you'll just need to keep an eye on the fluid level a bit more often, and probably have to top it off once in a while. Not unlike an engine or tranny. Some folks believe a xfer case is a fill-and-forget unit; I beg to differ.

Problem #2 cannot ever be solved by any lube choice, because it's a mechancial failure mode and not lube related. A small slip that separates the aluminum pump body from the magnesium case can either dislodge, crack, break, bend or otherwise fail and allow the aluminum pump tabs to eat into the magnesium case, eventually causing a hole to allow the fluid to weep/seep out. And then no fluid = destroyed case. The "cure" is to use one of a few different brand "upgrades" that greatly disperse the force of the pump against the case, so that the wear pattern never develops. These can come from sources like Merchant Automotive, Riverside, Kennedy, etc; google it. Now, simply checking fluid levels would alert one to this problem, but by the time the fluid is leaking out a hole, it's too far gone anyway. The key is to fix it BEFORE the hole happens. It's not a question of IF it might happen, but WHEN it WILL happen. I've read of them leaking as early as 50k miles, or as late at 200k miles. But it WILL happen eventually!

I did my pump-rub elimination upgrade at about 10k miles; never have to worry ever again. At that time I switched to Mobil 1 ATF. The fluid has stayed clean and not dropped the level one iota at all. I check it annually, and it's always been right at the bottom of the fill plug hole. Been 8 years now and approaching 45k miles. Where is the need to overfill something that is properly maintained? I'll probably run 100k OCIs for the xfer case ATF, barring any massive contaminant ingestion.

Eliminate the pump rub, use a syn ATF, check the fluid once a year, and the case will last just as long as the Dmax/Allison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back