MaxLife ATF use where ford Mercon V call for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Dr. Tranny is nothing short of amazing. Definitely give it a shot if nothing else works on that shudder.

Mercon or Maxlife with Dr. Tranny is solid gold in Ford transmissions that call for Mercon.

will try this combo.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Dr. Tranny is nothing short of amazing. Definitely give it a shot if nothing else works on that shudder.

+1 million! That stuff really does instantly stop shuddering in the 4R70!

If I'm considering using the Maxlife in the Mustang should I be worried about it being thinner than Mercon V? Valvoline also recommended it to me. Just wanted thoughts. At the end of the day I may end up using Mercon V just wanted a full syn.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I dont understand thinner vs other, which is more better ?

I truthfully have no idea if one is better than the other. I know some may say the thinner Maxlife may give better gas mileage, but I doubt it. The add pack in Maxlife meets the specs for Merc V so it does work fine.
I have had it for around 13,000 miles in my '02 F-150 (3 drain and fills, filter replaced first time) and just over 500 in the '04 (pan drop and filter change).
I noticed better shifting (no OD/3rd thunk when shifting) on the '02, I have not noticed any difference in the '04 (but did not drive it for more than 20 miles before and after).

I used Maxlife many times in Mercon V applications. I never had any problem. It also works well in power steering systems that take any kind of ATF.

My Nissan Xterra liked the stuff. It smoothed out the shift and was recommended by many over at the Xterra site. I now have to watch the tach to see when it shifts. Did a poor mans flush at 90k. Will probably do another change at 115k before heading to TX towing a car as I have no history of the tranny being ever changed by the dealer by the previous owner. Just oil changes and other minor stuff. My fresh tranny rebuild on a Ford transit will be getting the stuff.

Did the pan drop yesterday and on the Mustang and the Amsoil ATF had about 60k on it. Fluid still looked and smelled good. Very little shavings on the magnet. When I changed the FF at 80k the magnet was covered and the fluid smelled burnt. Funny Ford said don't change it, glad I have drained it twice with the issues I've heard with this transmission (5r55s). Refilled with Maxlife ATF and Lubeguard Red. Shifts so smooth now.

Have put MaxLife in all my Fords, as well as my Hondas with NO issues whatsoever! Great fluid that works almost anywhere and the price is just an added bonus!

I have used Maxlife in a Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla and a Hyundai Elantra and it worked well in all of them.

Hello, The MaxLife I have is the Dex/Merc LV. I mentioned it earlier in this post. I use it in my family's JWS3309 applications with great success.
I add LubeGard red at the recommended dosage.

I just checked my stash and MerconV is not mentioned on the ML label as either a GO or NO GO.
I reread this thread because I'm trying to decide whether to use my ML in a 2010 Honda Accord.
The ML label says OK for old Z-1 but no mention for the new DW-1.

I'll just go for 4 qts. of DW-1 being it's the neighbor's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back