Maxlife 5w vs. 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After consulting the data sheet, Maxlife 5w-30 IMO is better than the 10w-30 as it has a HIGHER flash point. Just an interesting observation and more fuel for the 5w vs 10w fire.

After seeing the Maxlife for $1.50/quart in the 5 quart apcks at Walmart, a HUGE stash of Maxlife 5w-30 has found a new home in my garage
freak2.gif
I already had a HUGE stash to begin with
pat.gif

Don't feel bad.

I'm up to 188 quarts of oil, 15 quarts of Honda ATF and 22 oil filters. I keep all the oil nicely boxed up and out of sight or my wife would kill me.

I maintain 5 Hondas and a Chevy.....so I have a good excuse for my 'little' stash.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
After consulting the data sheet, Maxlife 5w-30 IMO is better than the 10w-30 as it has a HIGHER flash point.

My data sheet for the SL/SM Maxlife shows flash points of 221C and 216C for 5w30 and 10w30. That is 430F and 421F. Both have very good flash points.

It would be very interesting to find out the NOACK number for both oils. NOACK is where they heat the oil to a certain temperature and see how much is lost to volitization. It is supposed to be a better measure than flash point.

But the 10w30 is better in HT/HS (per a call to Valvoline) at 3.3 vs. the 5w30 at 3.2.

On balance both look like very good oils. You got a very good price on it too.

Are you guys referring to the Maxlife dino or synthetic?

Just curious, as I just dumped in almost 6 qts of the 10w-30 dino in my 160k mile Rodeo, and would like to know if the flashpoints and HT/HS are in reference to the dino or synthetic??

My figures are for regular Maxlife and the data sheet is dated 9-2-04.

You are in good shape with 6 quarts of 10w30 Maxlife. You should be fine for 5000 miles easily.

quote:

After consulting the data sheet, Maxlife 5w-30 IMO is better than the 10w-30 as it has a HIGHER flash point. Just an interesting observation and more fuel for the 5w vs 10w fire.

After seeing the Maxlife for $1.50/quart in the 5 quart apcks at Walmart, a HUGE stash of Maxlife 5w-30 has found a new home in my garage
freak2.gif
pat.gif

I picked up 75 quarts (15 cases) at the same price. Never used Maxlife before but couldn't pass that deal up! If only my wife understood the madness!

In theory, it looks like a fantastic product, with a beefy add pack from Lubrizol (2500 ppm CA, 800ppm Zinc, 300 ppm moly), HT/HS of 3.2 for the 5w-30. At half the price of regular GTX, Pennz etc. (at some retailers), I'll take it!

I've been using 5w-30 Max life dino in my '96 altima for 125,000 miles. The car still runs like new (210,000 and counting)

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:

quote:

freak2.gif
pat.gif

I picked up 75 quarts (15 cases) at the same price. Never used Maxlife before but couldn't pass that deal up! If only my wife understood the madness!

No Wally Worlds in this part of the country(Central Texas)have it at that price but the $17.50 rebate for 5 qts makes it a really great deal.
cheers.gif

Hmmm, I need some Valvoline to add to my 226 qts of oil, 60 bottles of SLOB, and the like.... Which Maxlife is it that's A3, the 10W40???

I have 54 quarts Maxlife in 10w30, 10w40, and straight 30. Also have 28 quarts Maxlife Synthetic in 10w30. Most is SL. Probably half my stash is Maxlife. I can't use any more or I would go for the Walmart deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back