Maxima tri-syn vs. super syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
comparison of Mobil 1 tri syn vs super syn...'97 nissan maxima se 5 speed. simular driving but the super syn has a Fram air filter and the tri-syn has a K&N. the car currently has @ 83,000 miles.
Tri-syn @3600 miles, SS @4200 miles.
TRI-SYN SS
copper 2 1
iron 11 6
chrome 3 1
lead 11 3
alum 5 3
silicon 16 9
moly 13 52 not supoose to
have moly,some
do.
sodium 113 37
mag 1260 122
tin 1 1
zinc 746 620
potassium 2 0
phosh 623 567
calcium 894 1860
water neg neg
fuel neg neg
glycol neg neg
soot 0 0
oxidation 19 13
nitration 38 28 sparkplug issue,resolved
TBN 18 10
vis @100c 10.7 10.6
oil not stressed good for 6,000 miles.

Our good friend Terry did the analysis. I only added his comments where clearification of data was needed.

Wow, great results! Was it 10w30 or 5w30?

Also, how did that first analysis show a TBN of 18? Was that a typo?

You can also clearly see that the K&N air filter is letting in more dirt!

This is the comparsion result that I've been waiting for and it sure appears to me that the new SuperSyn is better than the old stuff! Keep these comparisons coming folks!

both were 10w30. Terry thought the TBN of 18 was an anomoly. both used Puralator Pure One oil filters. I'm currently running 0W40 Mobil 1 SS. I will have a a report posted in 4,000 miles.

Numbers look very good! Thanks for the info, Carl. I do have to ask you though - what were your driving habits during these times? Any high loads, high-speed driving, etc.?

Thanks,

Oz

Isn't the 10w-30 Mobil 1 SS the oil Bob claimed was so bad? The numbers look pretty darn good to me.

I am glad some real life numbers are starting to finally come out about this new stuff. From the analysis reports that I have seen the "new" Mobil 1 is pretty impressive.

driving was very simular for each sample...65% interstate and the balance city. each sample had a 1000 mile interstate trip at 75-80 mph (3300-3400 rpms in 5th gear)in 90 degree temps. some banzi charges thru the rev range. the balance of the interstate travel were local interstate trips. overall, the city driving would be moderate type of driving. as i recall, for the tri-syn, I added 3/4 qt. and for the SS, 1 qt. I have no oil leaks and the plugs showed no sign of oil consumption. No smoke at start up or during max acceleration.

[ August 19, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: carl97ss ]

What oil are you running in your Camaro right now Carl? When will that sample be ready? The more LT1 samples I see, the better I can compare my own LT1 results. On my last sample I think the iron and lead were pretty high, but that was also before I did Auto-rx too, so maybe those will come down now.

Looks like the Supersyn boogieman may be shut back in the closet.

I should have my 5W30 Supersyn results back within a few days, and I'll post them side by side with my 5W30 Trisyn results so well have another comparison. My samples were also identical driving conditions and also nearly identical miles.

After seeing these good results, it's got me wondering what I should do about my wife's
car. We are about 3 months away from the next oil change, if we go to 5k. It's got SJ
TriSynthetic 5w30 right now. I bought 4L of SL TriSynthetic, as I wanted to see if there was
a difference between those two. But now I wonder if I should just skip right ahead and go to
SuperSyn (which should be available here by then and if not I could always drive 90min to
Niagara Falls, NY) If I do the SL TriSynth change, and continue with all 5k intervals, I won't
end up with the SuperSyn analysis results until about the fall of 2003! If I skip the SL
TriSynth alltogether, then I'll have SuperSyn results by about spring 2003. But I also hate
to waste $30 worth of oil by not using it! These are the decisions that keep me up at night!
grin.gif

Different oil, different air filters.

The difference in wear metals could easily be due to the air filter and not the oil.

The title of this thread could just as easily be "K&N vs Fram".

Do you really think those extra 7ppm of silicon would account for that much of a difference in the wear metals though? My gut feeling says it wouldn't. Terry, George, what do you think?

I'm also curious, was the TriSynthetic used before the SJ or the SL version? Does anyone have any comparison between those two versions of TriSynth?

[ August 20, 2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Also another good thing is that the SuperSyn interval was longer! So even if the higher silicon values also contributed to a bit higher wear in the first same (with TriSyn) I think some of that can be cancelled out since the SuperSyn went for a longer interval.

I'm very eager now to compare the TriSyn in my wife's car to the new SuperSyn. I have now decided not to run the SL TriSyn at the next interval, but to go straight to the SuperSyn so I get the comparison results much faster. I'll still run both intervals to 5k.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Do you really think those extra 7ppm of silicon would account for that much of a difference in the wear metals though? snip

This is only one data point where two variables were changed. Are the better numbers due to the oil or filter? I don't know.

If there's a relation ship between Si and wear numbers, I'd look there before giving credit to the oil.

Patman, the Camaro is a unique situation that Terry is working with me on. I evidently have an oil ring problem (12,000 miles on the 465 h.p. beast)in 4 of my cylinders. i burn 1 qt. every 1500 miles. If i get on it, I burn more. With the forged pistons, i get piston slap when the engine is cold and that maybe contributiong to the problem. I just sent in a sample of 20w50 quaker state semi synthetic that has about 2500 miles on it. I had to add 2 qts. to it over that period of time. I went to that weight to try to control the piston rings problem. This was before i established a relationship with Terry and he had better ideas to approach the issue. I am currently running Chevron supreme ISO-SYN 10w30 SL as an experiment to try to get the oil consumption under control. Initial impression is that we may be reducing the oil consumption. Ultimately, we may need to go to Redline. I'll check my notes at home on the rating of the 10w30 Tri-syn I ran. I believe it may have been SL like the SS. I doubt that little difference in SI made a wear difference. As i recall from the first sample, Terry said, the SI was "not affecting the wear readings". I'll leave that answer ultimately to Terry or someone else if they would like to comment.

[ August 20, 2002, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: carl97ss ]

quote:

Originally posted by ColdFusion:
Excellent numbers! Now let's quash the SS rumor-mill.
patriot.gif

See Bob's post in the virgin analysis section. SuperSyn has moly! And it appears his first bottle was simply a bad batch, he tested another different bottle of 10w30 SS and he gives it the thumbs up now!

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by ColdFusion:
Excellent numbers! Now let's quash the SS rumor-mill.
patriot.gif

See Bob's post in the virgin analysis section. SuperSyn has moly! And it appears his first bottle was simply a bad batch, he tested another different bottle of 10w30 SS and he gives it the thumbs up now!

cheers.gif

Patman, thanks for letting me know. That's a good bit of moly in the SS formula. FWIW, after using SS for the first time I noticed both an increase in fuel economy (by 2.5miles/gallon) and also power (seat of the pants).
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back