Max safe mileage on these filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know how long these filters can safely go for...(oem recommendation intervals aside) Filters (for those who don't know) are used in Diesel applications and are full synthetic media..
Donaldson ELF series (ELF7349)
Fleetguard Stratapore (LF16035)
I'm beginning extended drains in my Dodge Cummins, and am curious to know a general mileage to change the full flow out. My initial interest was to go twice the OEM interval (15 000 miles), but would these particular synthetic media filters be able to go longer?

Forgot to add that I am also using an Amsoil BMK-11 bypass.
Part of the reason for me using these filters (they're more expensive) is better flow and better filtration, but I want to start changing them less if at all possible as opposed to a conventional media option.
Thanks

I would run them no more than 15k miles. Mobil1 recommends 15k mile FCI's with their filters. I trust their recommendation. I assume the filters you will be using are equivalent to construction with the synthetic media. Since you are using a bypass, I would maybe do 20k mile FCI's. Make sure to get a UOA and cut one of these filters open after a full run to get an idea of what is going on inside.

The only way to 'know' is to cut one open after extended use, say 10K. M1 recommendations are not relevant since they are not using true synth media with 'depth' like EaO or Stratapore or Donaldson's Syntec media. I would consult with Donaldson or Fleetguard tech.

I would guess the synth media filters could handle it but it depends upon how dirty your engine runs and size of the filter. I would expect a 2006 to be relatively clean if gas but diesel I don't know. If there is a big filter I would go to 15K if tech's said OK.

The Eao bypass media will go 50,000 miles. I believe the same media is in the full-flow. This same media is in the Donaldson.

With your bypass set-up...you will have less loading on the full-flow. So the major concern would be how long the media will last before it could be an issue.

Now the full-flow gets quite a few more gallons of flow through it than a bypass. I would think a safe number for your application would be 25K on the full-flow and 50K on the bypass.

Excellent...thanks to all for the replies. My main concern was going above and beyond my normal oem interval. With the Donaldson and Amsoil bypass on, I should be able to run my intervals much longer than I have in the past.

I've run 20k on Fleetguards (standard filter)...that's changing the bypass only at 10k. I know another dodge owner that runs on average 25k (no bypass) on his 2004.5 (hot shotter)...he currently has just shy of 450k.

One thing to check as this might have just changed...I was told the EaBP-series would not "bypass", and would simply plug off. However another owner on TDR was just told (by Amsoil technical) they indeed DO HAVE a bypass built in and will not plug off.

And further, I got around 30k on my EaBP-110 before it started to plug off (filter would not heat up)...FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back