Fleetguard confirms that LF3487 and LF16002 still use Stratapore media

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I reached-out to Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) about whether these filters still used their proprietary media technology since the LF3487's I ordered no longer say Stratapore on the can and they weren't updated with "Nanonet" either.

They provided some efficiency and flow volume data:
LF3487 - 100% at 30 microns and 14.27GPM
LF16002 - 100% at 30 microns and 5.28GPM
would like to see what efficiency is at 20 microns, I believe @NashNative has provided more efficiency data, I'll have to go looking for that. The flow data is interesting.

My query about media type had to be forwarded to Engineering but they got back to me yesterday and indicated that both filters still use the Stratapore media (were not upgraded to Nanonet) and not a 3rd party synthetic media.

They were unable to confirm what the ADBV was made of (they are black) and said it's usually proprietary. Will be doing a burn test with the used one from the filter that comes off the Supra.

The LF16002 fits FL-820S applications (PH2)
The LF3487 fits FL-1A applications (PH8A)

I reached-out to Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) about whether these filters still used their proprietary media technology since the LF3487's I ordered no longer say Stratapore on the can and they weren't updated with "Nanonet" either.

LF16002 - 100% at 30 microns and 5.28GPM
would like to see what efficiency is at 20 microns, I believe @NashNative has provided more efficiency data, I'll have to go looking for that. The flow data is interesting.

My query about media type had to be forwarded to Engineering but they got back to me yesterday and indicated that both filters still use the Stratapore media (were not upgraded to Nanonet) and not a 3rd party synthetic media.

They were unable to confirm what the ADBV was made of (they are black) and said it's usually proprietary. Will be doing a burn test with the used one from the filter that comes off the Supra.

The LF16002 fits FL-820S applications (PH2)
The LF3487 fits FL-1A applications (PH8A)
I think I remember seeing a post that stated 95% @23 Microns but I don't think that was for the Stratapore line of filters. Hopefully they can clarify the details of the filters.

100%@30 microns just sounds like a rock catcher in todays filter tech. lol

I think I remember seeing a post that stated 95% @23 Microns but I don't think that was for the Stratapore line of filters. Hopefully they can clarify the details of the filters.

100%@30 microns just sounds like a rock catcher in todays filter tech. lol
Found the post! It's not that bad, lol

NashNative said:
the LF16002 is an upgrade option to the LF3681...I'm seeing 100% @ 24 microns

400s = LF3339 = 68% efficiency ☠️
910s = LF3335 = 95% efficiency :unsure:

I'll email them, it just might be easier to ask "oil filters with Stratapore media"
Yeah, those are cellulose filters. Where there's a Stratapore upgrade, you'll see that as an option on the bottom, "use LFxxxx for synthetic upgrade" or something along those lines.

Example:
Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 9.10.40 PM.png

LF16002 - 100% at 30 microns and 5.28GPM . The flow data is interesting.
I'd like to know at what parameters that flow rate represents? Is it a flow rate that causes a specific dP across the filter at a specific oil viscosity? What's it really mean?

Nitrile or silicone is now "propriatary" information?, lol. My bet is nitrile. Only one "black" (actually a dark greenish color in good light) ADBV in a Toyota filter burned as silicone.

Nitrile, rolling coal.
20220326_131121.jpg

I'm not exactly sure who manufactures what but the LF model numbers make me think it's made by Champion Labs "Luber-Finer" product line. Just a WAG though.
All the Fleetguard oil filters are prefaced by LF, it means "Lube Filter":
Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 11.28.38 AM.jpg

FF = Fuel Filter
WF = Water (Coolant) Filter
AF = Air Filter
AB = Air Breather
AS = Air/Oil Separator
AD = Air Dryer

Like Donaldson, they make most of their own filters, but they will sub out construction (just like Donaldson and others) for low volume (for them) cans that are higher uptake in other markets, for example, the passenger car space. That was one of the reasons for my query on the media, because if assembly is subbed out, it would be possible for the media to no longer be their proprietary offering, like we saw with the EaO and its move away from the Donaldson Synteq media.

One thing I found interesting was that the big LF3487 has some of the best looking louvers I've ever seen, particularly compared to the Champ-made AMSOIL filters I received at the same time.

I'd like to know at what parameters that flow rate represents? Is it a flow rate that causes a specific dP across the filter at a specific oil viscosity? What's it really mean?

Nitrile or silicone is now "propriatary" information?, lol. My bet is nitrile. Only one "black" (actually a dark greenish color in good light) ADBV in a Toyota filter burned as silicone.

Nitrile, rolling coal.
View attachment 151958
Yeah, I highly suspect nitrile as well.

Hopefully @NashNative has info on the flow stuff.

All the Fleetguard oil filters are prefaced by LF, it means "Lube Filter":
View attachment 152016
FF = Fuel Filter
WF = Water (Coolant) Filter
AF = Air Filter
AB = Air Breather
AS = Air/Oil Separator
AD = Air Dryer

Like Donaldson, they make most of their own filters, but they will sub out construction (just like Donaldson and others) for low volume (for them) cans that are higher uptake in other markets, for example, the passenger car space. That was one of the reasons for my query on the media, because if assembly is subbed out, it would be possible for the media to no longer be their proprietary offering, like we saw with the EaO and its move away from the Donaldson Synteq media.

One thing I found interesting was that the big LF3487 has some of the best looking louvers I've ever seen, particularly compared to the Champ-made AMSOIL filters I received at the same time.

Thanks for the clarification. Some of the sub work Could be Champ but we dont know for certain.

I think it's safe to say that passenger car/light duty filters sold by Fleetguard are typically going to be private branded by another filter manufacturer. We really play more in the medium duty, heavy duty and High Horsepower segments. That being said, we still back any product we sell, whether we make it or not, with our non-prorated warranty...full reimbursement to repair the engine or replace with a new engine if it's more cost effective.

I think it's safe to say that passenger car/light duty filters sold by Fleetguard are typically going to be private branded by another filter manufacturer. We really play more in the medium duty, heavy duty and High Horsepower segments. That being said, we still back any product we sell, whether we make it or not, with our non-prorated warranty...full reimbursement to repair the engine or replace with a new engine if it's more cost effective.
The logistics of supplying the Stratapore media to a 3rd party must be somewhat awkward, I assume that's why there aren't very many part #'s where this is the case?

The logistics of supplying the Stratapore media to a 3rd party must be somewhat awkward, I assume that's why there aren't very many part #'s where this is the case?
If it really is a Stratapore media filter, then we should be the ones manufacturing it. To my understanding, we do not sell our proprietary in-house media outside of the company.

If it really is a Stratapore media filter, then we should be the ones manufacturing it. To my understanding, we do not sell our proprietary in-house media outside of the company.
Their reply to me:
Fleetguard said:
Good afternoon xxx

I apologize for the wait, our engineers had to reach out to the plant managers for confirmation if there had been any changes. They confirmed that both parts are still using Stratapore media. LF16002 should still have the Stratapore branding near the barcode, but LF3487 no longer does. I hope this helps!

So perhaps they are produced in-house then?

Back