math help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big Star Trek fan.
The closest planet that may be Earth like and support life is 4 light years away.
If a star ship traveling at warp 9.9 covers 6 billion miles a second.
How long would it take to get there?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
12 parsecs

Nahh - more like 1 1/4 parsecs (distance that is - 4 light years).

Now the Kessel Run, that's a different issue...

Last edited:
Depends on how much MMO they put in the reactors!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
lol.gif

lol.gif

I am envious of all that are good at math. I desperately wanted to be a cardiologist, and was a pre-med major, until I hit organic chemistry. Just could not get my mind around it. Praying that my kids get my fiance's mathematic abilities and not mine.

If you are good at complex math, be very very thankful. And if you didn't use it to do something worthwhile, what a waste!

Last edited:
simple answer is warp = light speed. warp 9.9- 9.9X speed of light.

4 light years / 9.9x Speed of light = ~ 0.4 years. = 4.8 months = ~145 days

Of course due to time dilation you better stay at your new destination because everyone on the place you left would be thousands if years old.
smile.gif

Assuming Einstein was right.

Assuming no wormholes, thats cheating.. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda

Of course due to time dilation you better stay at your new destination because everyone on the place you left would be thousands if years old.
smile.gif

thanks.
was Einstein ever proven wrong?

Warp 9.9 isn't 9.9 times the speed of light though, it's significantly higher than that. This is coming from a life long Trekkie. You have to work from the original assumption that Warp 9.9 is 6 billions miles per second.

Looking at your username, you're in the wrong franchise, anyhow.
wink.gif

I am not getting on that starship, so I don't care.

To be specific, the closest STARs (other than our Sun) to earth are Alpha Centauri A and B, each approximately 4.3 LY away.. Technically, Proxima Centauri - a 3rd potential companion star to Alpha Centauri A & B - is closer at 4.22 LY away from us, and does (apparently) have an approximately earth-sized (1.3 times) planet, which may or may not be habitable.. we don't know.

4.22 LY is equivalent to 24,807,799,074,834.80 miles.

Star Trek's warp speed values are logarithmic, not linear, and while there have been many examples of equivalent speeds given in Trek episodes, books, etc.. many times, the values are inconsistent. The best chart I can find is here and gives a (revised) conversion of Warp 9.9 being 2083 times C (the speed of light). It also lists an example from a Star Trek:Voyager episode of 4 Billion miles per second (which would work out to 21,468 times C).

If we go with the chart value (2083 x C), then we can calculate the time required as (4.22 / 2083)*365 = .73946231 days = 17.7471 hours

If we go with the other figure of 4 billion miles / second, then we can calculate the time required as 24,807,799,074,834.80 / (4 billion) = 6201.949769 seconds = 103.365829 minutes = 1.722764 hours.
Going by your figure (6 billion miles / sec), we'd get 4134.633179 seconds = 68.910553 minutes = 1.148509 hours.

.... quite the discrepancy. Because the writers of all of these Trek episodes are so many different people, and sometimes have to play with numbers and make things up, I tend to trust the scale provided by Michael Okuda as more accurate.. but who am I? I'm no warp engineer.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
lol.gif

1:30 ratio. I don't think the dilithium crystals can take much more than that.

just looked SMH

4 light years = 2.4 X 10^13 miles
divided by 6 billion / 4000 seconds

a little over an hour.

Yoda is short for Toyoda.
smile.gif

Garak beat me
18.gif
to it but here is the lazy conversion process I would use:

Internet: "Light Years to Miles Conversion" says 4 LY is 2.351^13 miles.

6 billion miles is 6^9 miles.

2.351^13 miles/ (6^9 miles/sec.) = 3,918 seconds. Miles cancels out, the seconds flip up to the top, so we are only left with seconds.

Internet: "Seconds to Hours Conversion" says 3,918 seconds = 1.1 Hours rounded up or 1 hour, 360 seconds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by marine65
I'm a big Star Trek fan.
The closest planet that may be Earth like and support life is 4 light years away.
If a star ship traveling at warp 9.9 covers 6 billion miles a second.
How long would it take to get there?

At the speed of light, it would take 4 years to travel 4 light-years.

The speed of light is (very close to) 3 x 10^8 m/s.

6 x 10^9 miles/s = 9.654 x 10^9 km/s = 9.654 x 10^12 m/s. Wow, that's pretty fast ... > 30,000 x the speed of light.

4 years x 365.25 days/year x 24 hours/day x 60 minutes/hour x 60 seconds/minute = 126,144,000 seconds = 1.26 x 10^8 seconds

4 light-years = (3 x 10^8 m/s) x (1.26 x 10^8 s) = 3.78 x 10^16 m

(3.78 x 10^16 m)/(9.654 x 10^12 m/s) = 0.3915 x 10^4 s = 3.915 x 10^3 s = 3915 s

(3915 s)/3600 s/hr = 1.0876 hrs

1.0876 hrs x 60 minutes/hr = 65 minutes and some seconds

The Prairie Boys are in agreement.

smile.gif

smile.gif

thanks.

Theory of relativity still holds up.

But he wasn't a big fan of quantum entanglement. He said it was like spooky action at a distance. He believed that there had to be some local variable that accounted for it. But if you look up Bell's inequality, then yes, it's spooky action at a distance. Basically you can have two entangled particles separated by the two ends of the universe and they can instantly communicate the opposite spin/direction instantaneously. Doesn't violate relatively because you can't use it to communicate, the spins/directions are random. Has possible applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

Yoda is short for Toyoda.
smile.gif

I kind of figured as much, but it was too good to pass up.

I used Mola's method, just converting light years to miles, and then dividing by the given speed of 6 billion miles per second, giving a result in seconds.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
To be specific, the closest STARs (other than our Sun) to earth are Alpha Centauri A and B, each approximately 4.3 LY away.. Technically, Proxima Centauri - a 3rd potential companion star to Alpha Centauri A & B - is closer at 4.22 LY away from us, and does (apparently) have an approximately earth-sized (1.3 times) planet, which may or may not be habitable.. we don't know.

4.22 LY is equivalent to 24,807,799,074,834.80 miles.

Star Trek's warp speed values are logarithmic, not linear, and while there have been many examples of equivalent speeds given in Trek episodes, books, etc.. many times, the values are inconsistent. The best chart I can find is here and gives a (revised) conversion of Warp 9.9 being 2083 times C (the speed of light). It also lists an example from a Star Trek:Voyager episode of 4 Billion miles per second (which would work out to 21,468 times C).

If we go with the chart value (2083 x C), then we can calculate the time required as (4.22 / 2083)*365 = .73946231 days = 17.7471 hours

If we go with the other figure of 4 billion miles / second, then we can calculate the time required as 24,807,799,074,834.80 / (4 billion) = 6201.949769 seconds = 103.365829 minutes = 1.722764 hours.
Going by your figure (6 billion miles / sec), we'd get 4134.633179 seconds = 68.910553 minutes = 1.148509 hours.

.... quite the discrepancy. Because the writers of all of these Trek episodes are so many different people, and sometimes have to play with numbers and make things up, I tend to trust the scale provided by Michael Okuda as more accurate.. but who am I? I'm no warp engineer.

Yeah, too much playing fast and loose with the rules to fit the story. Like that speed for Voyager would have put them home at about 7.5 years instead of 75 years which is what they said it would take to go 70,000 light years. Or if the ship couldn't go that fast for long, a rescue ship from the Federation could have been sent out.

It's estimated that there may be as many as 2 trillion galaxies out there. The nearest spiral galaxy of Andromeda is over 2 million light years away. Even that those speeds above it would take over 50 years to get there, not even accounting for dark energy.

thanks.

Like Einstein didn't prove Newton wrong, because Newton's work was all at speed v/c approaching zero.

Make V/C=0, and Einsteins equations become Newtonian.

I beleive (belief stated) that Einstein's work will be updated similarly when more is known about what comes next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back