Marvel Mystery Oil

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I put in a quarter quart about 10 miles before I changed my oil last time. I have a small knock and wanted to see if MMO made a difference. It did not, lol.

10 miles? Why bother? lol

Had it sitting in my garage for a while, why not?

Works in my lawn mowers. No longer have any issues with cheap carbs fouling up. For that reason alone worth having. Toss a few ounces in my old car's gas tank every month or so.

I use it in everything I have that has a carb and has to run on E(x) fuel. I won't attempt to quantify why, but I've built competitive race engines in the past, know what methanol does to carbs and can tell a difference in Holley boat carbs of people which use MMO and those who don't. Of course marinas sell non ethanol fuel, but it is mostly 87 octane and performance boat engines require 93 or better, so E10 premium pump is what most use, MMO makes a difference in those carbs.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Hundreds of threads. Several thousand posts.

Search for "MMO". It's been a BITOG discussion staple since the site started...

For example:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2073503
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2498397
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2281914
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281961
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3005072

Or, perhaps, this thread, started five days ago...yep...five...days...ago.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...mber/5429512/gonew/1/mmo-in-a-can#UNREAD

Or this one from seven days ago?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...mo-burn-off-in-the-crankcase#Post5408256

I get your point but it is the nature of forums. I mean how many different threads have we seen over the years on... AutoRx, German Castrol, Fram orange can bad, Fram orange can very bad, Fram orange can good, 5w too thin, 40w too thick.... on and on and on..... It's easier to ignore them then let it get under your skin.

Reactions: wlk
Love it in diesel to clean and lubricate VE injectors, pumps and nozzles. Great as an gentle "oil flush" in gasoline engines when used as directed in the crankcase. Actial account of events: brother had a 2001 Honda 1.7 with 250,000km that he boight as a winter beatet. Civic had been neglected and was overfilled by almost two litres of oil and filterwhen the oil were dropped. No oil leaks, luckily, but the dropped oil was sluggy/chunky and as dark as crude. Pulled the valve cover and it was sludge city. Valve cover back on and made no promises to him. Changed oil and filter with 0W20 PP and Champion synthetic media filter. But first added 40mL of MMO. Did this on short changes of 3500 km for two oil changes with mixed highway/city driving. Pulled the valve cover and sludge had almost completely been removed. Yes, a good synthetic oil will help but the MMO had something to do with it since I have seen other sludges engines not result in the same cleaning with synthetic oil only. I wouldn't use it in modern GDI engines due to the sulfur content, but diesel and in the crankcase or an older fuel injected, carb or TBI motor I would do use it in a heartbeat for emergency and maintenance. Just my personal experience, as every body has their own opinion and results.

Originally Posted by Kira
Trash boys....the future of America....many are even older and are in decision making roles.....heartwarming.

I think the issue is kids brought up with everything they want bought for them by their parents. I've known a few people like this, nice people but they don't learn the value of anything so they treat their possessions like garbage because their parents will replace it for them no questions asked.

Look at the age of the kids in the Youtube video, likely some are still living at home.
Destroying that poor Miata is a shame. What I wouldn't have given for a car at their age... It could have made a nice inexpensive track toy for someone too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Surestick

Destroying that poor Miata is a shame. What I wouldn't have given for a car at their age... It could have made a nice inexpensive track toy for someone too.

They destroyed that engine only because they have a better one sitting in the garage, waiting to be put in. So they killed that engine simply because it had to come out anyways, but was already in bad enough shape to where those boys felt bad selling it to anyone as a used engine.

A good advertisement for MMO at 9:15-9:40.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Used it for years in the gas for OPE, bikes, and occasionally in my vehicles.

Never had a cheap carb gum up while using MMO, but plenty of friends and family that have had problems and didn't put anything in the gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I have 7 quarts of various ATF fluids taking up space. Can I make my own with some kerosene or something?
confused2.gif

Send the ATF my way if you don't need it.
Here is a possible scenario - if I had a sludged engine - I'd run that ATF at full engine capacity for a few hundred miles. If you already have it on hand - then it's cheaper than going out to buy cheap oil for a short "engine flush". Or mix with Kerosene and run it at idle for 30 mins to an hour. 7qts of ATF, plus 3-4 qts of Kerosene, and there ya go, a cheap (idle) engine flush for a neglected engine.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
I have 7 quarts of various ATF fluids taking up space. Can I make my own with some kerosene or something?
confused2.gif

Here is a possible scenario - if I had a sludged engine - I'd run that ATF at full engine capacity for a few hundred miles. If you already have it on hand - then it's cheaper than going out to buy cheap oil for a short "engine flush". Or mix with Kerosene and run it at idle for 30 mins to an hour. 7qts of ATF, plus 3-4 qts of Kerosene, and there ya go, a cheap (idle) engine flush for a neglected engine.

I have a feeling running a full sump of ATF a few hundred miles as you mentioned is asking for problems. I wouldn't do it, there are safer and better alternatives, even for a beater.

confused2.gif

I have a feeling running a full sump of ATF a few hundred miles as you mentioned is asking for problems. I wouldn't do it, there are safer and better alternatives, even for a beater.

Yea... But I'd still do it as one of those "Hold my sweet tea" experiments... Sorry, I don't drink beer.

confused2.gif

Yea... But I'd still do it as one of those "Hold my sweet tea" experiments... Sorry, I don't drink beer.

Let us know how it works out if you decide to drink the tea.
wink.gif

https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/media/1758/mm12r-50094-0818-sds.pdf

~65% Petroleum Distillates (Mineral oil)
~30% Stoddard Solvent (Paint Thinner)
~1% Tricresyl Phosphate (an organophophate, used as a plasticiser and solvent)
~1% Ortho Dichlorobenzene

Personally, I think it smells great, but I don't think it's a magic elixir for engines. It's probably pretty safe for freeing up lifters if you don't add too much to the oil. A snort or three in the gas is fine, too, though I probably wouldn't use it on modern stuff.
1,2-Dichlorobenzene is also used in softening and removing carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces.[7]

Back