Marvel Mystery Oil In Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Has anyone else ever put Marvel Mystery Oil in th[ei]r Tranny???

I did put a 8 ounces in mine and I have a HONDA ACCORD V6

It says on the bottle that Marvel Mystery Oil will make your Transmission run cooler.

Why ask us now after the fact and after you have committed the inexcusable?

Ask yourself, what chemical in MMO could possibly make a transmission run cooler?

If you don't have a background in chemistry, then go to the local community college and ask one of the local chemistry professors.

Isn't that what transmission coolers are designed for?

In our medical society where you take a majical pill for specific ailments, there isn't always that same thing available for machines.

The MMO thins the fluid, hence flowing faster, thus cooling quicker. Wouldn't this be the same logic with newer light grades of oil. They may attach the cooler title with this logic. MMO is a mild cleaner and I think we all use it for the lubricancy of the fuel and the cleaner in oils. But we all know how manufacturers love to grab and benefit titles.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't think MMO would hurt a thing. I ve used it in the Transmission before also. Without incident. I actually put it a week before, I was going to change, to loosen things up. But I would not be aginst running it the entire change interval time either. I think MMO is a universal cleaner/lubricant, that has proven itself in the real world with many people as being benefical and universal in all applications. I have used it in about every motor and application from Transmissions to removing stickers with good results. That's why I love it. Its not a harsh cleaner and is a mild booster of detergents already in oil and fuels. I find it funny that some people will criticize it and say never add anything that will change the transmission fluid make-up, unless of course Lubegard makes it. Sounds like you have a firm belief in Lubegard, like I have a firm belief in MMO. You wouldn't use MMO and I wouldn't use Lubegard. Guess that's why they both are still in business.

I have a firm belief in MMO too. I had great results with LG in the tranny so I stick with it. As far as adding MMO to oil and gas I had great results with that too, so I will continue to do so.

It's always great to hear success stories with it in the transmission though. I had good luck with it in power steering units too, it stopped the annoying Ford PS whine a few times over the past few decades. Somehow that seems to slip my mind since I haven't had to deal with it in a long time.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't think MMO would hurt a thing. I ve used it in the Transmission before also. Without incident. I actually put it a week before, I was going to change, to loosen things up. But I would not be ag[a]inst running it the entire change interval time either. I think MMO is a universal cleaner/lubricant, that has proven itself in the real world with many people as being benefical and universal in all applications. I have used it in about every motor and application from Transmissions to removing stickers with good results. That's why I love it. Its not a harsh cleaner and is a mild booster of detergents already in oil and fuels. I find it funny that some people will criticize it and say never add anything that will change the transmission fluid make-up, unless of course Lubegard makes it. Sounds like you have a firm belief in Lubegard, like I have a firm belief in MMO. You wouldn't use MMO and I wouldn't use Lubegard. Guess that's why they both are still in business.

And I often wonder if those trannies that die a sudden death after a late in life oil change, also had something like MMO or Lucas put in there as some people "loadup" a neglected tranny with third-party additives thinking those majic elixrs will reverse years of neglect.

Quote:
Lubeguard is just an ester-based "booster" for ATF, it isn't advertised or functional as a solvent. MMO is.

It may not be advertised as a solvent but the super-duper esters in LG can act as solvents.

That's why it can dissolve varnish in the valving and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Lubeguard is just an ester-based "booster" for ATF, it isn't advertised or functional as a solvent. MMO is.

It may not be advertised as a solvent but the super-duper esters in LG can act as solvents.

That's why it can dissolve varnish in the valving and elsewhere.

Would these behave in the same manner as stoddard solvent though? I wouldn't think so
21.gif
Hence my Dawn vs Engine Degreaser comparison.

I hear good stuff about LUBEGAURD, However I really like ATP products and I put ATP Friction Modifier that actually has the HONDA GENUINE LOGO on it... its the only after market product I have seen that actually says Honda Genuine on it.

When I did put marvel mystery oil in it, it was between a drain and fill.. also I have done most of mine SLOW.

drain out 3 qts and drive a week or 2 and do another Drain and fill.

Then drive another few weeks and do it again.

I was just wondering if its good to do before a drain and fill....

Or what you guys thought about it....

All this discussion boils down to:
Do you experiment or not? Nothing is known for sure. Seems clear it didn't hurt in the short term but down the road, so reader might see this and assume it's good for a 30K run. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. So, future Bitoger .... BEWARE!

Last edited:
^^^Not relevant, as by their very nature these types of additives are put into many hopeless causes. They are not going to 'fix' anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back