Mars Perseverance landing technique

Presently traveling at ~ 48,000 mph and has ~ 4,300,000,000 miles to go.
Screenshot from 2021-02-15 16-42-45.jpg

I guess there will be nothing much for us to see except when the first camera images arrive, but still it’s good you see the euphoria in the control room if they succeed.
No cameras on any of the vessel/landing gear to provide (delayed) footage of the landing? Will we not see anything until after the rover has landed and came online?

No cameras on any of the vessel/landing gear to provide (delayed) footage of the landing? Will we not see anything until after the rover has landed and came online?
The stuff I’ve read said there will be a camera on while they go into the mars atmosphere, it would be cool to see the parachutes and I’m wondering if the Skycrane that drops the lander and takes off has a camera. Of course everything will be after the fact as it takes over 10 minutes for the signal to reach earth and the whole landing sequence will take 7 minutes. But still, it would be cool if they played those images. However, just not sure if we get to see that stuff. This is like the buildup prior to a kicker going for a field goal; a 392 million mile field goal.

The stuff I’ve read said there will be a camera on while they go into the mars atmosphere, it would be cool to see the parachutes and I’m wondering if the Skycrane that drops the lander and takes off has a camera.
Yeah, my guess is they'll want to be able to capture at least some landing footage and send it back to earth, if not for anything else, to be able to see if it happened as expected or to see what went wrong, in case things do go wrong.

I'm guessing none of the older rovers on Mars are still operational and able to be directed to Perseverance landing site to take some pics? :)

Yeah, my guess is they'll want to be able to capture at least some landing footage and send it back to earth, if not for anything else, to be able to see if it happened as expected or to see what went wrong, in case things do go wrong.

I'm guessing none of the older rovers on Mars are still operational and able to be directed to Perseverance landing site to take some pics? :)

Curiosity is still going strong. Not very close though.

NASA releasing some more photos, most were of the landscape but there was this one from the sky crane just prior to setting the rover onto the surface. More to follow plus a movie of the sequence including sound. Note the three attachment cables plus the umbilical, the cables are severed by the rover once it is on the surface and then the umbilical is pulled free when the sky crane flies away. NASA indicated the rover is approximately two meters above the surface in this photo, they will have an exact distance later.

This is amazing.

Eum6fRMVIAENjK1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back