Manufacturing observation

Fram PH7317

IMG_8501.jpg

WIX 57356

IMG_8500.jpg

Mobil 1 M1-110A

IMG_8499.jpg

That you can find filters without all the burrs and sloppy assembly. Companies need to take some pride in their products instead of spitting out stuff like pictured above.
Just how do some rough edges on the inlet holes hurt? How about cutting them open and looking at the other side of the inlet holes for sharp edges and burrs that the ADBV may make contact with ... that would matter more.

Last edited:
Here's the inside of the base plate on a Fram I cut open a few weeks ago and still had it in the garage. There's a reason they punch out the holes from the inside out. Base plate hole edges that the ADBV can contact are smooth and burr free.

1636863687313.jpeg

It looks like on the fram you see the bottom of the punching, the other ones you see the top. That in itself says fram isn't trying too hard with that filter, but if you look at the other side of the other ones they may look the same?

It looks like on the fram you see the bottom of the punching, the other ones you see the top. That in itself says fram isn't trying too hard with that filter, but if you look at the other side of the other ones they may look the same?
The Mobil 1 has a "beauty plate" skin over the baseplate ... Purolator does the same thing.

Just how do some rough edges on the inlet holes hurt? How about cutting them open and looking at the other side of the inlet holes for sharp edges and burrs that the ADBV may make contact with ... that would matter more.

Here is a filter that I am familiar with. No burrs or sharp edges on either side.

It's find until a piece of metal is dislodged. It could perforate the filter? Although; that is hypothetical. Again, time and testing is imperative. Crossing my fingers for the Ultra. All hail Ultra!

It's find until a piece of metal is dislodged. It could perforate the filter? Although; that is hypothetical. Again, time and testing is imperative. Crossing my fingers for the Ultra. All hail Ultra!
None of the metal burrs are going to dislodge. If You couldn't make them break off with your finger nail (I've tried, they don't) they won't from oil flow. And if one did, it's going to be caught in the media anyway, without damaging the media.

Isn't the Ph7317 the lowest tier filter for fram? And M1 is a premium filter? Comparing a $3-4 filter with a $9-10 filter?

Would it be acceptable for a $20k Corolla to have mis-aligned doors because it is $60k less than a Lexus LS 500?

I am not pointing out the cost but the manufacturing of each filter. Does a door open and close while being mis-aligned? Sure. Would it be preferable to have the door aligned? Yes.

I believe the XG7317 at $9 uses the same base plate.

These findings are irrelevent to me. Being on the inlet side, the rough edges have nothing to do with its performance.
Yes I agree, somooth eges wher the oil exits have no impact on flow or filtration. It does matter in the oil pump orifices and galleys, but not in the filter. This is like saying the box the filter is junk or badly made, so the filter must be junk

Not the greatest-but I would rather have them on that side than ALL the Mann & Hummel ones that have them on the inside & damaging the ADBV. I would agree that First Brands has been doing some things detrimental to the value & quality of Fram oil filters-but I wouldn’t put this high on the list!

Back