Manual tranny at light/stopped: neutral or in-gear w/ clutch depressed?

Always wondered how that happened as the 3 cars used in the movie were 83 models, and in the US market, they were mostly 4 speed automatics.

I thought one of the ones used in the movie was up for auction and (I heard) sold for $60,000. It was listed as a '79 model.

Apart from starring alongside Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay, this car – VIN 9289201213 – has a unique story all its own. The 928 was the subject of the documentary, “The Quest for the RB928 (Risky Business 928),” in which filmmaker Lewis Johnsen chronicles his journey to track down this particular 928. Oh, and there’s another thing that contributes to the provenance – it was in this car that Tom Cruise learned how to drive a stick shift.​

Real men keep the clutch in at idle and change down gears to slow. No complaining because a real man can also fix the worn out parts.

My last manual trans was quite a few years ago (1997 Ram CTD), I always popped it in neutral & let off the clutch if waiting more than 10 seconds or so.

If you drive the vehicle everyday....It's like second nature & you can press the clutch pedal, shift into gear, & take off really quickly.
That's pretty much how I do it. I've always had at least one vehicle with a stick since I started driving in the mid 70's.

Back