Mann W/917 cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my order from FCPEuro, and one of my Mann filters had a dent in the top. FCPEuro has already shipped me a replacement, and I was free to do what ever with the dented filter, so I decided to cut it open.

This is a Mann W/917. It has 90 pleats total, and the seam is metal crimped. The weight was 15.2 ounces on my postal scales. Height is 3.35 inches, and case diameter is 3.66 inches. It has a silicone ADBV. The base gasket was hardest to remove of any oil filter I have cut open to date. Most base gaskets just pull right off with a little tug. I had to work at it to get this one off, and work even harder to get it back on. From the pictures, you can see a big spring that works the bypass valve. The bypass valve is that little black button looking thing. The pleats were very straight, and this is one of the best looking filters I have ever seen construction wise. It is top quality that's for sure.

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hessam
nice pics bigd.. is this your top pick for the oil filter for the 240 DL?

Yes that's what a lot of Volvo red blocks are using to rack up loads of miles.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
That's a nice looking, well built oil filter. How can I obtain the German built filter here in the USA?

You can buy them here. Advance auto sells them, but the filters that fit American cars aren't the same quality as the ones that fit German stuff.

If you have a European made vehicle, they are easy to come by. Mann does have some filters that are made in Germany for American cars, but the ML Mann filters are made by Purolator. I think the ML filters are being discontinued anyway, and a lot already are. The ML oil filters are not the same quality as the German made.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What are the specs?

I have seen specs on a Volvo forum, but I don't remember which one, and what they were to tell the truth. Old age getting the best of me now.

Nice looking filter. The center tube hole design is best seen - lots of holes and well distributed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If only they built the American car Mann like this I'd buy them

+1

We get these really cheap here in the uk. Once my stash of fram ultras run out i will switch to mann filters

i would buy them also if they built American car mann filters like this but they dont...Some other countrys demand good filters, these are nice. If you have a Volvo this is the filter to use.

Of course i like the center tube oil holes on this filter also, the only thing with this filter is it is totally smooth and if you can't get a strap filter on it you can have a hard time getting it off. Looks to flow very very well. Oooops there i go again with the flow thing..

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
That looks like an awesome filter. The American makes get a Puro classic with Mann on the can, thumbs down.

Yes the Mann made by Purolator is definitely not the same quality. Pretty sure the Purolator made Mann spin on are being discontinued, at least a lot of the part numbers are already discontinued, or in stock until the remaining supply is depleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back