MANN ML1009 Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
yesterday I was swapping out the oil and filter on a 2001 Camry from Castrol Syntec 5W30 to QSUD 5W30. The Filters were swapped from a Purolator to a MANN ML1009.

The first MANN ML1009 filter I used was rather difficult to twist in. In fact I had to try several times before I thought I had a tight seal. When I started the car, the oil just came gushing out of the filter. I immediately turned off the engine and took out the filter.

I ran to my computer to check if I put in the right one, since that would be really stupid. But it is the right one. I took another ML1009 and twisted it in, this time without any difficulty, and it sealed perfectly.

Any thoughts? I bought these from Rockauto and they were pretty cheap at $2.56 each + shipping (so roughly $4 each).

The can itself does not appear to have any sealing problems, the threads all looked fine to me... something was not right and I am not sure. I will try to post some pictures later tonight.

Left the old gasket on the sealing surface? Check the Purolator you removed to be certain.

The leaking filter may also have had gasket issues - double gasket perhaps?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Left the old gasket on the sealing surface? Check the Purolator you removed to be certain.

The leaking filter may also have had gasket issues - double gasket perhaps?

Nope I checked for this, was not the case. The purolator still had it's gasket. The defective ML1009 had its own gasket, and the second fully functioning ML1009 had its own gasket.

I made this gasket mistake once on a Jetta 2.5 and that thing leaked all over the city. I never made this mistake again, i always check.

I was wondering if the threads were wrong or maybe you cross threaded it accidentally. Can't really think of any other reason it would not spin on normally.

hey those MANN 1K series filters are rebadged purolators fwiw

knowing purolator, it was probably a burred unfinished quality thread cut
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back