Manhole Covers - Location in road

Status
Not open for further replies.
IS it just me or has anyone noticed that in many cities ( I live in Toronto) , manhole covers mostly end up right in the path of the wheels. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them in the middle of the paved lane so that car don't have to either go over them or dodge them.

Does anyone know how this came about to be where they are???

Maybe many streets were widened over time and that's why the location of the covers seems arbitrary?

By the way, the term "manhole" sounds quite questionable. It's worse than man-purse (murse) or mansierre (The "Bro").

The roadway is home to lots of utilities such as water, sewer, gas, electrical, cable, telephone, ...

They each need their own little piece of real estate as well as vertical and/or horizontal separation. Some have minimum radii (such as sweeps for electrical conduits) and with some others it just doesn't matter. And then some things just gotta run downhill...

Hopefully somebody that actually understands this stuff will chime in here...

Steve

I would say it is due to the age of the town or city. I live in the oldest county in Kansas, Leavenworth County. The manholes are all over the place. If you notice, with new utilities going in especially in new parts of town they are locating them right on top of collection basins. This is great, gets them off the road surface. That way the maintenance guys can work on the utilities in relative safety. Won't get your head torn off by a car bumper!

One one occasion while plowing snow in my dump truck I hit a cover with my plow and sent the cover many yards into the air! Luck was on my side and did not hit me or another vehicle. The noise of it happening scared me more than the cover flying into the air.

On another occasion, I was tranporting manhole covers and collars on the tailgate of my pick up. Due to the weight of the three covers I could only get the covers onto the tailgate and no futher. As I was going down the road two of the covers fell off the back of the pick up tailgate and onto the road! Luck was on my side again, a car that was behind me had an alert driver paying attention who avoided the covers and even asked me if I was o.k. and offered to help me get the covers back in the truck. I declined but, appreciated the gesture.

If you have not guessed, I do not like manholes either.

Well ..I think this sorta falls along the lines of how telephone poles just happen to be at the worst location on a curve ...conveniently located for magnetic purposes for anyone losing it in said curve ..more or less assuring a sever damage situation if not a total loss.

Yes, I ponder these things too.

I think it is a random thing. I think the sewer pipe comes in 6' lengths. When they get close to where they need a manhole, they stick it in wherever the last tile ended. I don't remember seeing them cut a tile unless they are building up to an existing one.

Could ask my daughter, the city, civil engineer.

Oh, they are round so they can't fall in the hole.

wileyE: I've handled both types of lids and know for a fact that you can't drop a round lid down the hole. Square lids are another story... I think a lid and ring weigh 250 pounds.

There was one subdivision I worked on that all the transformers ended up in the middle of one lane. The solution was to make it a one way road and put parking between the transformers. hehe

Steve

srivett you are right about the round cover not falling down the m/h. In NYC, the DOT has maps of every street and each street is divided into underground lanes and these lanes are assigned for the underground utilities. Storm drains usually get the center of the street. The water main will be on one side of the street and the gas main on the other side. Some streets can have multiple water or gas mains under them. Then there are lanes for primary electric, secondary electric and for telephone and cable lines. The mains that have water in them, storm drains, sanitary sewers and water mains are the deepest, storm drains 12'-15' deep, sewers 8'-10' deep, gas mains 4'-6' deep and the shallowest are the electric, phone and cable lines. Some streets over the years have been widened or narrowed, raised or lowered. Streets in midtown and lower Manhattan are a total maze of ducts and conduits with all the electric and telephone lines. Streets that are lined with apt bldgs will have a m/h in front of every bldg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back