Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
But elsewhere they say that was denied and that rolls and Boeing confirmed the last communication was at 1:07...

Just can't get anything straight... This is crazy.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But elsewhere they say that was denied and that rolls and Boeing confirmed the last communication was at 1:07...

Just can't get anything straight... This is crazy.

Yes, crazy indeed. Anything's possible and time is marching on in case the people are "somehow" alive.

My gosh!!

This is getting extremely frustrating. Apparently now those satellite photos from the Chinese are being discredited. There is one goofy story after another involving this airliner. People claiming the engines were running up to four hours after the transponder/transponders were turned off and others denying all of that. Claims that the aircraft may have changed course. Other claims that the aircraft did not change course. If I ever travel overseas I think I will skip Malaysia.

It is impossible to know what exactly happened to this airliner and all of those people. 239 people is a lot of people. I think they need to interview the oil rig guy, and talk to the villagers who said that an aircraft apparently flew low over their village. And they need to interview the fisherman who said that he saw a plane flying low. Since reliable information apparently cannot be obtained from the Malaysian authorities they need to talk to ordinary people who made various reports. Maybe they can get truthful reports from ordinary people.

They may never find this aircraft. If controlled or not controlled it flew up to four hours after the last known location it could be just about anywhere. Or maybe this airliner will turn up someday used in a terrorist attack somewhere. It is impossible to really say anything definite at all at this point. Does anybody at all know anything?

If Rolls Royce monitored those engine then its seems its possible they know the altitude too. Those motors are going to operate much different at lower altitude I would think due to thicker/dense air compared to 35,000ft.

Timeline: Lost contact an hour into the flight. They (apparently) have a total of 5 hours of engine running data.

If so, let's all make a list of possibilities. I'll start:

1) They could've kept going in any direction for 4 more hours.

2) They may have not gone in a straight line.

3) They may have flew in large circles or any other wandering path.

4) They may have flew around dead on whatever path until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the Sea.

5) They may have flown somewhere w/cover, landed and everyone is "Ok" per se.

6) It may be equipped with whatever type of explosives to use within its range.

Others? Go!

Can the black boxes be removed? Can the in-service CBM/data links for the engines/airframes be turned off conveniently?

I would imagine that like cars, some stuff can be disabled easily and other stuff not so much.

Heck, I guess you could at this point throw in the possibility of a giant UFO carrying the airliner away!!!!!!! Just kidding.

They have not found any wreckage. Maybe they will eventually. But since the aircraft could have flown maybe 4 hours after contact was lost with it, where do they look for the wreckage? The wreckage might be 2000 miles away in any direction.

Maybe the aircraft will finally show up used in some terrorist attack.

There is one certain thing however. Do not go to the Malaysian authorities for any answers. Because they do not seem to have a clue.

Last edited:
You would think that with all the modern technology today.....and after this cluster "F"....some electronic device could be placed inside every commercial airliner that would be a failsafe way of locating in such a circumstance as this. We have the ability of being easily located today in our cars (OnStar or whatever), yet for huge commercial airliners filled with hundreds of people, we don't have this capability? How old is the technology in these so called 'black boxes'? Were they designed 40 years ago? I find it hard to believe that in todays world we can't at least design a locating device that would prevent losing an entire aircraft and passengers.
Time for a reassessment and an update......MAYBE?

Yea, so all they gotta do is flip a switch and they can fly anywhere they want??

No contact, no nothing??

15.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson's_Field_hijackings

Hmm, plausible. But just keeping 240 people fed and hydrated might cause questions. And hiding a plane from satellites with IR, radio, photo, etc spy gear... how hard is that? Aluminized mylar with branches or sand camo?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson%27s_Field_hijackings

Hmm, plausible. But just keeping 240 people fed and hydrated might cause questions. And hiding a plane from satellites with IR, radio, photo, etc spy gear... how hard is that? Aluminized mylar with branches or sand camo?

Cover meaning being landed with cover, as in waved in by tower personnel that are in on the heist. Could be covered up with vegetation or camo, but that would be tough with a huge plane.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I find it hard to believe that in todays world we can't at least design a locating device that would prevent losing an entire aircraft and passengers.

I don't think it's a function of available technology, but rather of perceived necessity. Travel routes over most parts of the world are pretty well-documented. There are, obviously, certain exceptions. I think if it were perceived that GPS ID trackers would be beneficial, then airliners would have them. That perception may indeed change after a few notable recent events. AF447 is one such example (where locating wreckage was particularly difficult) and MH370 may be another example, where the plane's physical location is apparently not known...and could figuratively be "anywhere".

It may be time to re-assess the perceived need for such devices. Again, though, I believe it's more of a issue of perceived need rather than a lack of available technology.

If the airplane was hijacked they might not keep those people alive. They might kill all of them if they did not want to have hostages. I know that sounds bad but these terrorists are evil to the core.

The US military does have technology that allows aircraft to be located more easily. I guess it is just a matter of cost for commercial airliners.

Last edited:
At this stage it seems quite ridiculous that we have been getting so many conflicting reports. One would think that answer to simple questions such as exactly what telemetry data RR/Boing is holding would be easiest to answer.

I think the entire world needs "Fifth Amendment". Without it people who really are holding important information do not want to get implicated.

In my opinion the need for an updated locator on all commercial aircraft is fairly evident. When one lost aircraft with over 200 people on board can't be located within a few days.....it's time for a change.
Any discussion about need vs. cost etc. is invalid. It's pretty obvious that the time has come for a modern update.

I just now read online that the US Navy is sending a destroyer to search in the Indian Ocean. And India is also starting to search.

US Spy Satellites can zero in on stuff much smaller that pieces of Aircraft, so why hasn't this been spotted yet?

Astro:

How much fuel would typically be loaded on a commercial airliner? Only Enough to reach its first destination plus reserves, or did this flight include additional destinations beyond Beijing, and could have had fuel on board for those additional legs?

What is the fuel burn rate at cruising speed and altitude?

When overwater, how often are position reports made on HF radio (if they still are), and is there any way to cross check those reports or is it just up to the crew to accurately report a position?

I assume they do the compass / timepiece / speed thing to dead reckon and cross check position and not just rely totally on the other nav systems?

US Spy Satellites can zero in on stuff much smaller that pieces of Aircraft, so why hasn't this been spotted yet?

Maybe because the larger pieces are under water and the smaller pieces that float are too small to spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back