Major Decision!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have used a 14hp, 48 inch cut Kubota diesel mower for the past 22 years. Even managed to survive 5 teenagers who have been almost as abusive to it as I have.Still runs well, cuts excellently. Unfortunately, the human condition has me desireous of newer and better!

Plan to purchase a new 0 turn in the next few days. Going back to gas would be an unacceptable step down, as mowing is something I ablolutely HATE. Gotta be quick and as few hassels as possible. Choices are two only. Another Kubota is naturally in the top spot, http://www.kubota.com/F/products/ZD321.cfm but a relatevely new manugfacturer in a nearby town has also caught my attention "Bad Boy" mowers http://www.badboymowers.com/view/32 are built basically next door. Their diesel models use Caterpillar engines and 1/4 inch steel plate throughout. Can mow at 15 MPH!!! Though my property is to rough for any of that!

Past experience, excellent reputation, and 0% interest (48 months,25% down) have me leaning hard toward Kubota, but neighbors made in USA product has my interest!

Any thoughts?

bob

If you go to lawnsite.com they talk about that mower.

I have heard good things about them. Do not see many here in MI but have never heard any bad stuff.

I looked seriously at the Scag, Exmark, Deere, Kubota, DC, and others. I bought a Scag. Not that it's the "best", nor do you have to buy one because I bought one. Just wanted you to know that I shopped a great deal before spending big $$$. You should decide what's most important to you and then decided based upon your priorities.

The ONE thing that turned me away from the Kubota is that the rear drivetrain, at least on the diesel models, is a singular unit. In other words, the drive system is a whole transaxle type system, and it's made of aluminum. The engine is seperate, but the trans and axles are all of cast aluminum.
See here: http://www.kubota.com/f/products/ZD321transmission.cfm

I don't like the Kubota zero turns because I was afraid of the rough yard (former pasture) I have would end up cracking the transaxle somehow, somewhere, and I'd end up with one heck-acious bill for repair. The tranxaxle simply bolts up to the frame at the inner part of the (what I'll call) wings. I cant' even tell if it's a chain drive or gear drive. Look it over and you'll see what I mean. I admit this IS a fairly beefy casting, but still, it's alumimum and it's used as a stressed member at several points. All it would take is one mis-adventure and the cost of repair would be staggering!

For a ZTR, I prefer the seperate belt driven hydraulic motors, providing pressue down to seperate cast iron hydrualic pumps. Very robust, and even if you broke something, the units are all seperate, making removal/replacement easier, and probably less costly. If I recall, the Bad Boy, as well as about all the others in the market, use this type set-up. Other than a blown hose, there isn't much to break on this type system. They tend to be very robust, as long as you but up in the commercial range. (Those cheap Husqvarna, Troybuilt, Cubs and such at Lowes and TSC are low dollar stuff, and won't last).

Of all Kubota's products, the diesel ZTR is one I just can't get behind. Now, if you have a golf-course type super-smooth lawn, the Kubota would be fine. But not, in my opinion, for rough ground. Go look under one and you'll see what I mean.

All that being said, I'd look at all the brands if I were you. For the kind of money you're getting into, make a good decision. You're talking around $10K or a bit less; for that, you owe it to yourself to shop, shop, shop.

How much land are you mowing? How big a mower can you get, without it getting too big to manuver or store? What other tasks might you use it for? Do you have to mow many slopes? How close is the dealer for support? How long has he been in business?

Pick a good brand that will be around a long time. Scag, Exmark, Deere, Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper and such all have good records. Bad Boy is new to the market; they were not an option when I looked around a few years ago. I'm not saying Bad Boy is bad, but I'm always skeptical of newcomers until they have a few years of proof on them.

I know you don't want gas, but there are many good options for power in that regard. Don't discount the gas engines; especially the liquid cooled and injected ones. Even with these features, they're less than a diesel. Presuming you're not mowing commercially, you'd never wear out a gas engine anyway. You can get a commercial quality mower with gas power that would last you indefinitely.

BTW - it's not that I don't like Kubota's; I have one of their excellent utility tractors. I just don't like the design of the ZTR Kubota diesels. I bought a Scag 48" ZTR with 19hp Kawasaki. I use my big tractor to mow 6 acres of lawn, and I use the small ZTR for mowing around the home, fences, trees and such. Perhaps this dual approach would work for you as well. If you only have a couple acres, this isn't cost effective. But I needed a tractor for loader work and such, so the ZTR compliments the tractor, and is small enough for tight tasks and easy storage.

Last edited:
Transmisssion/transaxle is basically the same as what's under my 22year old, abused to #e!!, present Kubota. Can't feel uncomfortable on this issue.

Went back for final look yesterday and bought Kubota. Bad Boy is one tough sucker, but considering no in house financing, I was looking at an additional 1,600 in interest. Compared to Kubota's 0% for 42 months.

NEVER heard anyone complain because they bought orange.

Best,

bob

Congrats!

Yes, that financing is hard to beat. Got my L3430GST on 0% a few years ago. The only thing better than buying a Kubota, is finally having it paid off.

Gotta love dat orange!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alreadygone

Went back for final look yesterday and bought Kubota.

Good deal. What model did you wind up getting? You can't go wrong with Kubota. 1) One of the best tractor engines available. 2) They've always designed and built their own transaxles, plus I don't know that I've ever heard of a Kubota transaxle issue. 3) Resale is high is that's a concern for you. 4) Parts counters are plentiful.

Joel

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Congrats!

Yes, that financing is hard to beat. Got my L3430GST on 0% a few years ago. The only thing better than buying a Kubota, is finally having it paid off.

Gotta love dat orange!
Is that the Grande ? model

I think they actually call them the "Grand L" series, yes.

When I think of "Grande", I think tacos.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
It has been quite a while that I have been in the market for a compact tractor. I was quite impressed with the Grand L but I ended up with a 4310 John Deere because I was going to use it at home which is 6 acres and a 38 acre parcel 9 miles away so I picked the smaller one for use at both places . I ended up selling the 38 acres so I should have bought even smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back