Maintenance Schedule 2010 Honda Civic

Well, I just purchased a 2010 Honda Civic with 148k last night. Gonna do a bunch of maintenance on it. Owner changed oil every 3k with
"Honda" 5W-20. I know to use Honda Power Steering and Honda ATF. I have the owner's manual and there is no maintenance
schedule that I can find. What do you guys do?

I do have 2 additional questions. First, is there a block drain for the coolant and if so where is it? Secondly, is there and easy way
to deal with the clear coat oxidation? There are two spots about 5 inchea in diameter that are that milky looking.

Since I am not a Honda guy, is there any advice you can offer me as I go over this car?

I'm doing plugs, air and cabin filter, coolant, ATF, PS, brake fluid, front brakes. I guess I should do the 2 belts as well.

There's nothing you're going to be able to do about the clearcoat other than sand the car down and repaint it, its failing. (Welcome to Honda paint world)

As for the block drain, you don't really need it, just drain the radiator and refill it with either the Honda Type 2 or one of the aftermarket ones (Zerex, Pentosin, Etc.)

It would be a good idea to do the 3X D&F on the transmission and then maybe a D&F every 30k after that.

It should be a K-Series engine, so no timing belt to worry about.

Just do what you described and drive it.

Last edited:
skyactiv, I appreciate the link. However, I have already been to that site. It is no help whatsoever.
It just says to follow the "maintenance minder" schedule according to numbers/letters popping up somewhere.

I want to know what the Honda guys are doing for their maintenance schedules. More old school method.

Some other projects that can be easy and cheap or free and yield noticeable results:
-clean the throttle body, idle air control valve and MAP sensor
-replace PCV valve and O2 sensors

I'm not sure there's a set interval for these (probably 100k or more) but every 30-50k seems like a reasonable interval. They're easy enough that it's not a hassle to do every 30k.

edit: has the water pump been done yet? I remember that being on my 03 maintenance schedule for 110k and I ended up getting it done at 136k. My head gasket went out at 158k, so you might want to watch out for that. A UOA could shed some light.

There's nothing you're going to be able to do about the clearcoat other than sand the car down and repaint it, its failing.

As for the block drain, you don't really need it, just drain the radiator and refill it with either the Honda Type 2 or one of the aftermarket ones (Zerex, Pentosin, Etc.)

It would be a good idea to do the 3X D&F on the transmission and then maybe a D&F every 30k after that.

Just do what you described and drive it.
Thanks! It's just 2 little spots and the rest of the paint looks fabulous. It's raining here and the water is beading up nicely.
It is not needing a paint job. Just wondering if someone had ever tried a little something something...

Do you know if there is a block drain? I found a picture showing the location of one but it doesn't match up with my engine.

Some other projects that can be easy and cheap or free and yield noticeable results:
-clean the throttle body, idle air control valve and MAP sensor
-replace PCV valve and O2 sensors

I'm not sure there's a set interval for these (probably 100k or more) but every 30-50k seems like a reasonable interval. They're easy enough that it's not a hassle to do every 30k.
Most excellent points. I'll do the PCV and the MAP Sensor and throttle body. I don't know nothing about the idle air
control valve???

Most excellent points. I'll do the PCV and the MAP Sensor and throttle body. I don't know nothing about the idle air
control valve???
On my '03 it's right next to the throttle body. There's a chamber connecting the upper and lower TB and a chamber with a couple of coolant hoses. It's easy to clean if you're already doing the TB. Just a couple of screws, an impact driver and some TB cleaner is all you need. Be careful with the gasket, it can be reused if you're not rough with it.

All the comments here are good. I'll add this for the coolant. Remove thermostat and D/F with distilled water, run it for a few miles, until the water warms up and allows to fully circulate through the system, let it cool down, do it 3 - 4 more times, or until the water runs clear. Then install new thermostat and and add new coolant.

Run back to back tanks with your favorite Fuel System Cleaner. Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Regane HM Fuel System Cleaner or Redline S1. Take your pick and happy motoring.

Ken

Do you know if there is a block drain? I found a picture showing the location of one but it doesn't match up with my engine.
Small correction, it's an R-series engine, R18. Thankfully it's a timing chain engine, just like K-series. So OP try to THIS link, hope it helps. It doesn't look like there is a block drain...
I used to have a 2010 Civic LX Sedan. Great little car it was. 37mpg on highway, and 28-32mpg city is what it gave us. I tried many oil grades and types, and the engine seemed to favor 0w20 oils. It was just quieter and felt peppier on 0w20 vs any other grade available at WalMart (i tried them all).
Also it is good that you have a 2010 Civic, as some pre-2010 models had issues with blocks cracking at front of the block on passenger side, causing coolant loss. It's usually very easy to see and worth a quick peek for peace of mind. Most of the Civics that had this issue were 2006-2009, but there was an occasional 2011 model or two mixed in here and there. If there is a crack or split - you won't miss it. But if you can't find anything - then you're safe. Enjoy your Civic for many years to come!

control valve???
As far as this: your engine does not have an Idle Air Control Valve. Older Hondas do, but your R18 does not. A new PCV and cleaning of the MAF sensor should be great preventive maintenance options. Just make sure to use a MAF sensor cleaner, or electrical connector cleaner. I know someone who used brake cleaner and ruined their Mass Air Flow sensor.

Last edited:
Bought a '12 Civic (same R18 engine as yours) recently with 125k miles. Did the following because the Carfax didn't indicate they'd been done:

- serpentine belt (didn't look bad but didn't look new either)
- replaced spark plugs
- replaced PCV valve
- ATF drain and refill, 2x, about 1000 miles apart

Did the cabin air filter ($10, Supertech - so easy and inexpensive). Engine air filter was new looking and clean so I left it alone. I bought it from a Honda dealer and records show they did an oil change there (oil on dipstick is very clean and it has a Honda oil filter so I am confident it was done). Records show the brake fluid has been flushed multiple times but looking at the fluid in the reservoir, I'm skeptical...

Do you have power steering fluid ? On the '12+ models (first year of 9th generation), it looks like Honda switched to electronic power steering. No PSF here.

Check the air intake tube for tears. I'm referring to the section AFTER the air filter box, between that and the throttle body. Appears to be a common issue. While I had the old one off, I cleaned the TB for good measure and MAF.

For the clear coat I would try a compound and then a polish on it and see how it comes out.

I believe there is a block drain on the front of the engine. Sort of underneath the catalytic converter. But I wouldn't mess with it. Just drain from the radiator and refill. Your coolant isn't going to be that dirty.

Assuming you have the R18 engine the only belt on the car is the serpentine belt.

You might want to also take a look at the brakes. Lube the caliper slides, check the pads and rotors, etc.

You should post a picture of the car.

I would clean the entire engine and battery and make it look like new. Maybe you did that already. Congrats on the purchase I believe you will be able to make it several thousand more miles.

I sure hope so. My newly married son bought it. Well, he got a heal he would have been dumb to refuse. :giggle: In other words, he could sell it and make about $4k on it right now.

Change the oil when the minder tells you to. It also tells you when to change the filters, ATF, coolant, and spark plugs, so just follow it :)

The only thing not included on the minder is brake fluid, which you're supposed to do every 3 years regardless of mileage. You can probably get away with just doing it when you replace the pads and rotors. Honda is the only non-Euro car mfg to recommend brake fluid changes.

If yours isn't a CVT, you can use Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF with no problem. Aftermarket PS fluid is fine as long as it says Honda on it.

When you change the coolant and refill, turn the heat temperature to full hot, but don't actually turn the heat on. Zerex Asian Blue, Pentofrost A3, and Peak OET Asian Blue are all good choices.

If it moves, inspect it and change it if there is any question. That's a great car.
2010 is still a gear transmission; CVT came in in 2014 I believe. Service that bad boy!
Yeah, I will way over service it. It will never see a 5001 mile OCI. Hopefully 3-4k

Lol

Yeah, I will way over service it. It will never see a 5001 mile OCI. Hopefully 3-4k

Lol
What I do is, use a bazillion mile filter like the Fram Ultra whatever guard, get a bunch of Kirkland oil and a MityVac,
Change the filter every 2nd or 3rd time and just do 5K oil changes.
Your Civic can thank me later.

I would also consider adjusting the valves which allows you to change the valve cover gasket...
Run it 'till the hubcaps fall off!

Got any pics?

You ol’ cheapskate. :ROFLMAO:

I did the valves. I even got a set of those new fangled Michelin weird tread tires for the girl.

No pics. She’s a cherry red.

Back