06 Honda 5-speed Auto Trans & Timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at the external spin-on filter is I can do it later IF it becomes an issue or I feel I must replace it. If it were that critical, perhaps Honda would place a greater emphasis on maintaining it? Besides, it's not like I have to drain the fluid and drop the pan to change it. The main priority for me right now is getting bright red fluid flowing again.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
Just purchased a 2006 Honda Accord V6 with "BAYA" 5-Speed auto transmission. Car came with a stack of Honda dealer service invoices but nothing to indicate an ATF change. It appears the last two owners were waiting for the Maintenance Minder to tell them to service the Transmission. ATF fluid is purple in color but doesn't smell burnt. One Honda service invoice shows an additive added to the ATF and motor oil. Find this curious as my old 97 Civic owners manual specifies no use of oil additives.

Anyway, I've heard that apparently this transmission does not have a filter and that I should dump and fill the ATF for the next few oil changes, which I will probably do. Honestly, I'm kind of bewildered by what Hond's maintenance philosophy has become. Oh! And looks like I will be doing the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve adjust for the first time as well thanks to the Maintenance Minder/procrastinator.

Any other suggestions?

For some reason I seem to recall the "BAYA" as the v6 2003-2005 5 speed trans, the 2006-2007 should be an AV6? as I remember?

The BAYA is also used in the Acura v6 1999-2006 with 5 speed auto's.

Anyways, the BAYA have lots of problems. The AV6's are known to be pretty bullet proof. Hope you have the latter.

Many, not all BAYA's have an external inline transmission filter. Not real friendly to service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Just purchased a 2006 Honda Accord V6 with "BAYA" 5-Speed auto transmission. Car came with a stack of Honda dealer service invoices but nothing to indicate an ATF change. It appears the last two owners were waiting for the Maintenance Minder to tell them to service the Transmission. ATF fluid is purple in color but doesn't smell burnt. One Honda service invoice shows an additive added to the ATF and motor oil. Find this curious as my old 97 Civic owners manual specifies no use of oil additives.

Anyway, I've heard that apparently this transmission does not have a filter and that I should dump and fill the ATF for the next few oil changes, which I will probably do. Honestly, I'm kind of bewildered by what Hond's maintenance philosophy has become. Oh! And looks like I will be doing the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve adjust for the first time as well thanks to the Maintenance Minder/procrastinator.

Any other suggestions?

For some reason I seem to recall the "BAYA" as the v6 2003-2005 5 speed trans, the 2006-2007 should be an AV6? as I remember?

The BAYA is also used in the Acura v6 1999-2006 with 5 speed auto's.

Anyways, the BAYA have lots of problems. The AV6's are known to be pretty bullet proof. Hope you have the latter.

Many, not all BAYA's have an external inline transmission filter. Not real friendly to service.

The ID tag reads BAYA. If this trans started in 99 model year Acuras, I'd hope Honda ironed out the links by 06. The only issue I see in the service history is "Customer says harsh shifts when cold, test drove, advised as normal when fluid is cold."

If I have the external filter, where do I look for it?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Some units had the spin on in addition to the internal filters and some don't even though it is listed for it. Make sure it is present before ordering one or you have a nice paper weight,
If it is there it is always a good idea to change it even though it isn't much more than a rock catcher.

The factory spin-on for my sister's Acura auto trans seems to be a bit more than a rock catcher. I'd say it's worth changing.
21.gif
Not sure if all of the Honda 5 speed autos had this though.

51170d1501289327-transmission-bypass-spin-filter-replacement-img_2822.jpg

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Mind asking which Acura?

Many of the accords and civics have the inline version, held by clamps on either side.

2003 Acura 3.2TL. The filter screws into the top of the transmission and has a line with an o-ring that bolts into the back of it. It was fairly easy to change.

Here is an image that hopefully shows a better view of where it is (it's number 9 in the diagram):

2010-12-24_162609_03_tl_atf_picture.gif

80-filterremoval2_final_ee6929d94c161399fe81e141321c862a32ebfbb9.jpg

25450-P7W-0032.jpg

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Some units had the spin on in addition to the internal filters and some don't even though it is listed for it. Make sure it is present before ordering one or you have a nice paper weight,
If it is there it is always a good idea to change it even though it isn't much more than a rock catcher.

The factory spin-on for my sister's Acura auto trans seems to be a bit more than a rock catcher. I'd say it's worth changing.
21.gif
Not sure if all of the Honda 5 speed autos had this though.

51170d1501289327-transmission-bypass-spin-filter-replacement-img_2822.jpg

No, that is a real filter. The one I changed a couple of years ago only had a screen inside. I don't remember the year or model or even if the old filter was OE or aftermarket.

I really have no idea. I only look at them, if its a screen and light can be seen through the other side its a rock catcher.
Look at one at the dealer would be the best bet.
Next time I am at the dealer I will look at one, if its real filter element and 10mm in/out (3/8) with a metal housing that would be a good PS filter and leak free replacement for Magnafine also.

No, that is a real filter. The one I changed a couple of years ago only had a screen inside. I don't remember the year or model or even if the old filter was OE or aftermarket.

Wow they make external filters that are just screens? For some reason I thought you were referring to the internal filters which are usually just a screen, and agree that those should be left alone since they rarely catch anything and require quite a bit of work to access.

The internal ones on these units is not replaceable during normal service anyway.
I have seen a screw on that was just a screen inside, I can say if it was OE or not as it was in rough shape outside with no identifying marks or part# visible but seeing your cut open one I suspect it was made by whoflugdung in usa China.

I have an '05 with about 130k.

If it were my car, I'd do a 3x3 drain and fill with OEM Honda DW-1 only, change the little internal filter and 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. From that baseline just do a 1x3 drain and fill with DW-1 every 30k or so and motor on to 300k.

Here's info on the switches and filter

http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/ChangeOilFilter.html

Per Honda, drain and fills only. With the V6 they can be done as soon as every 15k if it sees mostly city miles. Mostly hwy miles can go 30k intervals. If doing 3 drain/fills I'd space them out every 500 miles or so. It's easy for a small particle to clog one of the many, small internal passages inside the transmission. You don't want to stir up any debris in a 12 yr old trans that still may have the FF in it. Esp a Honda trans. None of the Honda dealers that I know of do flushes, only drain and fills. Most of the 7th gen Accords also have an inline trans filter that's replaceable. But many dealers don't know about it.

More info here:

www.driveaccord.net

Originally Posted By: JEL01

If it were my car, I'd do a 3x3 drain and fill with OEM Honda DW-1 only, change the little internal filter and 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. From that baseline just do a 1x3 drain and fill with DW-1 every 30k or so and motor on to 300k.

Sure enough! Under the air box I see the housing for the internal filter cartridge. There is a lot of views on this topic but I think I'm now leaning towards the info outlined in the link.

Also, curious why your '05 is an oil burner at 130k?

Sure enough! Under the air box I see the housing for the internal filter cartridge. There is a lot of views on this topic but I think I'm now leaning towards the info outlined in the link.

not really sure unfortunately, probably just bad luck. I’ve taken care of it for the last 100k, so unlikely anything happened to it before I got it. I’m starting to suspect a small leak I haven’t found yet maybe. In any case, with the 5w30 HM oil it’s now using maybe half a quart every 5k, MPGs unchanged, so I’m rolling on. Hopefully it’ll get to 300k.

Change the pcv valve with an oem one. Usually the internal spring breaks around the 60k mark. Also try Valvoline Maxlife Red bottle 5w30. Unless that's what you're already using. HM oils do very in how affective they are.

If the filter is there change it. I have seen these units with just the internal filters which yours also has along with additional spin on, in line and this one. Basically whatever is there that you can get to change it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Change the pcv valve with an oem one. Usually the internal spring breaks around the 60k mark. Also try Valvoline Maxlife Red bottle 5w30. Unless that's what you're already using. HM oils do very in how affective they are.

Thanks yeah I’ve replaced it every 30k with a new OEM Honda, still a half quart on the red ML every 5k or so really isn’t bad compared to some of the 2.4 7th gens. I’m going to really poke around in the engine bay at the next change, see if I’m leaking after all and just missed it. Still, been a great car and I’ll drive it until it blows, will be doing round 2 of the atf filter and pressure switches this summer to keep that working well.

Sounds like you're on top of it then.
thumbsup2.gif

Maybe use Valvoline white bottle 5w30 and top off with Maxlife if needed. It would be interesting to note if consumption would drop any more. Really just out of curiosity's sake. Since .5 qt over 5k is minor.

Other top shelf conventionals to consider would be Formua Shell at Home Depot for around $13 or Chevron Supreme at Walmart for $11.77. You may have to do the ship to store option. Then still top off with ML.

I may that a try, every so often Fred Meyer has Chevron for $10 for a 5qt jug. Just for reference, with plain M1 5w20 it started usIng 1qt every 2500-3000 at around 100k. Still, no smoke, drips, or sooted tailpipes. My driving is 99% highway, about 35miles each way, so doubt a ring is coked, oh well, beena great rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back