Mahle OX 143D Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the oil & filter in my 2003 VW Jetta TDI, and wanted to post the pics of the cartridge filter. This is my first try at adding pictures to a post, so here goes.

The first picture below shows a new filter next to the used one.

PICT0373_Copy.jpg

The end caps of this filter appear to be a synthetic fiberboard of some sort. The new end cap below may look like felt, but it is stiffer and more rigid than "cardboard".

PICT0375.jpg

Notice how much larger the center hole in the used filter is. The filter installs on a holder that passes through the end caps and creates an interference fit by folding the inner diameter of the end cap through hole inward. This interference fit must be oil tight or else the filter will bypass. There is no other gasket or seal in this area. Seems like a potential weakness in this design, but I'm sure it works.

The image below shows the seam in the filter. The dots are small beads of adhesive, not metal clips.

PICT0376_Copy.jpg

I sawed the top cap off by cutting through the filter element. The filter element itself was very stiff. The paper appears to be some sort of heavy cellulose paper. The plastic center core was not glued to either the top or bottom end cap. You can see how the element sprung open when the top end cap was removed.

PICT0383.jpg

The center core is plastic. Very rigid. I know there is concern on this board about the possibility of ecores imploding, but after inspecting this one I don't think that is a concern here.

PICT0384.jpg

One more view below of the core, filter element and the top end cap removed. I did not count the pleats or accurately measure the element, but I did stretch it out to just over 6 feet.

PICT0385.jpg

Great write up and pics! Cartridge filters need to get more play around here. The center core is interesting the way it switches. Mahle seems to make really good filters.

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Probably cellulose endcaps. They're fairly sturdy.

You are correct, they are very sturdy. They could be cellulose, but they appear to be impregnated with something polymeric. What I find interesting is the ends are sealed entirely by folding the end cap material around the through hole into the ID of the center tube when the filter is installed on the holder. It is certainly a simple and apparently effective way to install and seal. Makes me wonder a little about all the concern folks have about the OCOD’s cardboard end caps.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Great write up and pics! Cartridge filters need to get more play around here. The center core is interesting the way it switches. Mahle seems to make really good filters.

Thanks for posting!

You're welcome. The center tube certainly does look like there is a lot going on. It is an injection molded part, and part of the visual complexity is a result of the geometry required to eject the part from the mold cavity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Interesting design. Thanks for cutting and posting. Got any specs for the filter (efficiency, etc.)?

Mahle appears to keep their product information away from the consuming public as well as Castrol does. The Mahle website only provides dimensional information, and I can’t locate anything beyond that from third party sources. Mann seems to be similarly tight lipped about their filters. If anyone knows of a good technical source for European filter specs I'd appreciate seeing it.

The Mahle element itself looks very similar to the construction of now Mahle made Hyundia/Kia oem as I posted about in the following thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2375885

The difference is in the nylon centertube design. The one shown here looks to have something like a "standpipe" design similar to some spin on filters. The idea being to hold some oil in the centertube after shut down. I'm guessing the cartridge is designed to install in one direction, with the open cage portion to the top/up? This is something Hyundai should have thought of with the cartridge housing at the top of the engine. Now, at least on the Genesis they have moved the housing to the bottom of the engine. Think it could be because of some complaints about start up noise with top mounted cartridge housings but that's just my opinion.

As for the ecore similarities, while the felt like endcaps and nylon centertube are similar, these cartidges have much tighter and uniform pleating as opposed to many ecores posted here, including the posted blow out fails. Also there's no worries about the proper functioning of the those ecores using nitrile combo valves.

The Mahle here looks well made. But in my case, I've the original Hyundai oem nylon endcap design to work as well as the newer Mahle feltlike endcap design. And I've been able to get the Napa Gold aftermarket in that design for about a third the cost so it's been a no brainer for me.

Thanks for the pics. Ihe "standpipe" centertube design is the first I've seen on a carttridge. Interesting.

Edit. Oh yeah, and unlike aftermarket spin ons, as a general rule it's more difficult to find published efficiences for cartridge filters. For the oem's both spin on and cartridge, efficiency as a rule has been proprietary.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The Mahle element itself looks very similar to the construction of now Mahle made Hyundia/Kia oem as I posted about in the following thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2375885

I'm guessing the cartridge is designed to install in one direction, with the open cage portion to the top/up?

As for the ecore similarities, while the felt like endcaps and nylon centertube are similar, these cartidges have much tighter and uniform pleating as opposed to many ecores posted here, including the posted blow out fails. Also there's no worries about the proper functioning of the those ecores using nitrile combo valves.

Thanks for the pics. Ihe "standpipe" centertube design is the first I've seen on a carttridge. Interesting.

Yes, you are correct. One end is marked TOP/OBEN, and that is the end with the cage.

I have never seen the innards of an ecore except in pics posted on this site, but from what I've seen the quality of Mahle/Mann construction (materials, number of pleats, adhesive, etc.) is far and away superior.

Here's another view of the core:

PICT0386.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back