Mahle Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Mahle, Mann,+ Hummel and Hengst are all excellent OEM's.

Mahle and Hengst are OEM (cartridge) oil filters for my BMW. Excellent quality.

The normal OC interval on the BMW is over 20,000 Km. As I put on few Km per year I run them 2 years. They come out looking excellent.

Mann-Hummel is related to Purolator and shouldn't be on the same tier as Mahle and Hengst.

I am running a Mann on an Audi right now. It is getting a WIX next.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Mann-Hummel is related to Purolator and shouldn't be on the same tier as Mahle and Hengst.

Some Mann filters are German designed and manufactured and are of impressive quality such as the one used in the cars in my signature.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Some Mann filters are German designed and manufactured and are of impressive quality such as the one used in the cars in my signature.

Mann+Hummel purchased 100% of Purolator in 2013.

Hopefully, they will work to improve Purolator's quality issues.

Currently, the quality of Mann+Hummel filters vary by source:
- Filters made in Germany are some of the best on the market.
- Filters made in Korea for Hyundia/Kia are also excellent filters.
- Filters made in USA are Purolators

WARNING: that is NOT a real Mahle! That filter is a stupid cheap Mexican piece of [censored]! Nowhere NEAR as good as a real Austrian-made Mahle.

You're better off with Wix.

I've been using Austrian made Mahle filters on a Volvo V70XC for the past 190,000 miles with a 5000 mile OCI. This car uses a black plastic spin-on canister that holds the oil filter media, so you get to inspect the media every time. I've never seen a tear or anything else to be concerned with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
WARNING: that is NOT a real Mahle! That filter is a stupid cheap Mexican piece of [censored]! Nowhere NEAR as good as a real Austrian-made Mahle.

Sounds like you really need to watch what you buy from Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Sounds like you really need to watch what you buy from Rock Auto.

x2

They had some discounted WIX made filters that turned out to be something else as well.

What do you mean "not a real Mahle"? Mahle makes a lot of filters in Mexico, that doesn't mean they aren't genuine. Good luck finding an Austrian made one in that size.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What do you mean "not a real Mahle"? Mahle makes a lot of filters in Mexico, that doesn't mean they aren't genuine. Good luck finding an Austrian made one in that size.

Someone on here cut them up and compared to the made-in-Austria Mahle cans. It turns out that the Mexican filters were far inferior.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Someone on here cut them up and compared to the made-in-Austria Mahle cans. It turns out that the Mexican filters were far inferior.

Well OK fair enough, but it isn't a counterfeit filter. That's the way people are looking at it. I may not buy it either but that's Mahle's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back