Rockauto oil filter closeout questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Champ is most likely an ecore filter. The only mystery is will it be the new and improved cage design? It might be the old and flimsy.

I've found that most of the time "You get what you pay for".

That being true, just purchase a good 'mid-tier' filter....for a few bucks more. Why take the chance?

I don't think that size is ecore. I use the same engine basically in the Prius. I got fed up with old stock filters and ordered some like these. You get what you pay for, and I think I got old filters from Rock. The cost is almost nothing for the OE. Also the Ultra xg4386 would work very well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181619280187?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got a Champ filter from RA and it is a 12 yr old one.
I don't think I will use it.
All of their filters are old stock.That's why they are $1.40 each.

Originally Posted By: Run
The Champ is most likely an ecore filter. The only mystery is will it be the new and improved cage design? It might be the old and flimsy.

If it's an genuine E-Core, it's no mystery. It will be the old design. If the filter you get is just like the photo that is shown, it's not an E-Core.

Last edited:
Any closeouts from Rock will be pretty old.
The first oil filters I bought from Rock were for my old BMW in 2010, and they came in an assortment of ages, with some featuring greasy handprints on the boxes, although all six worked okay.
Oil filters are pretty cheap locally and these won't be all that cheap after shipping.
I wouldn't bother.

I bought some cheap closeout filters from them a couple years back(april 2014) the filters i got were from about 1997. WELL out of their shelf life(per the manufacturer, whom i checked with)

I would not do it. I just ordered four Fram Ultra filters that were on close out and the model numbers were correct but two of the packages were open for one thing.

The main thing was two of the filters were from the last generation and two werem from two generations ago!

I sent all four back for a refund.

I sometimes buy "good" filters cheap from RockAuto when buying other things if shipping from the same place as other items in my cart.

Things they often have good/cheap are Wix basic (pro-tec), Hastings (not the casite, but regular Baldwin-equivalent or Federated branded ones). I looked and I don't see either of those for your car, or otherwise screaming good deals for your car that LEAP out. The Denso and Bosch are quality filters at a fair price, though, and cheaper than most any other source.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
There's a couple filters for my 2000 Echo that are pretty cheap. What opinions do you guys have on the quality? One is this one - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4368408&cc=1364677&jnid=376&jpid=1. The other is an " API 5001202778 Protune". Both are $1.41. Any bad experiences with either one?

i would step up the the hastings for about $0.40 more than those CHAMP ones. if you really want to go all out Ebay has the Fram Ultra for your echo for $6.76 including shipping.

I buy almost all my filters from RA. I bought some FRAM ones a while back and I received some older off label farm branded filters but I do believe they were made by FRAM. Zero issues with them so that's all I cared about. Make sure you try and get everything from the same warehouse or they will charge two shipping fees, just FYI. I have 18 filters (Pronto, MANN and Hastings) waiting for my Hyundai so I think i'm ok for the next few years. Seriously though, I buy the cheapest filters I can get my hands on and have never had an issue. Just my .01

back in November i bought 15 filter from rockauto.

5 were wix made carquest filters
5 were xix made partsmaster filters
and the other 5 were hastings made federated filters.

best deal on filters i've had so far.

DO NOT buy the private label listings for a regular name-brand part number. For example, where it says Wix 51315 "private label" is most likely not even a Wix or even made by Wix--it is one of those [censored] cheap Chinese filters with toilet paper media.

However, private label filters that ARE ok to buy will have a separate part number for each brand. For example, a CQ filter will be listed as Wix 85315 (CQ Blue) or Wix R85315 (CQ Red). MGL51315 is the Wix-made Microgard from O'R (similar to a Pro-Tec and Napa Silver), and MGL8316 is the older Fram O'R Microgard. Napa filters will most likely be listed as Wix for the brand, along with the Napa part number.

Why not get the Mann for a dollar more?
Only reason it is so cheap is that they have stopped making them.
Mann is good quality. IMHO

I have purchased "private labeled" filters that were WIX, but ended up being labeled as CARQUEST. My guess is that they were closing out the model at CQ, and were dumping them.

I would agree, assuming that those Manns aren't Purolators, particularly of the stock we see that's been tearing. Now, if they're German Manns, or something has improved, great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back