Rockauto oil filter closeout questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
DO NOT buy the private label listings for a regular name-brand part number. For example, where it says Wix 51315 "private label" is most likely not even a Wix or even made by Wix--it is one of those [censored] cheap Chinese filters with toilet paper media.

Unfortunately, this is sometimes true.

I bought some discounted Wix filters from RA a few months ago. What I got was cheap Chinese junk that had a wix interchange number stamped on the box (as well as fram, puro, etc. interchange numbers), but a Chinese name on them. They had ZERO resemblence to any Wix product under any other name. RA insisted that the fact the interchange number was on the box meant it was genuine WIX - both the first CS person I talked to as well as the supervisor. Complete nonsense/scam. I have had the exact same experience with other parts from them on several occasions.

They have zero real knowledge of auto parts from this and other experiences I have had with them, nor any real commmitment to standing behind transactions. Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes you get shafted. The problem is you never know, or know if they will take back the item. Complete lottery when ordering from them.

I ordered some air filters that said were "Hastings". Got Casite filters instead. Says they are the same, but that is not what I thought I was buying.

Overall RA is ok, but shipping can ruin a good deal and if something is wrong you have to pay shipping to return. I had it happen on Moog quick struts that did not fit.

A year ago I ordered a torque converter for a 98 Acura. They shipped me one for a 73 Opel. Twice.

They thought I should pay the $80 return shipping for the two wrong items. needless to say, words were exchanged. And they refused to budge until I got the OE manufacturer of the TC on the line to tell them it was the wrong part. Eventually they paid the return shipping and on the third try, sent the right one.

Their willingness to try to force you to pay for their mistakes is real mashugana chutzpah, no?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Any closeouts from Rock will be pretty old.
The first oil filters I bought from Rock were for my old BMW in 2010, and they came in an assortment of ages, with some featuring greasy handprints on the boxes, although all six worked okay.
Oil filters are pretty cheap locally and these won't be all that cheap after shipping.
I wouldn't bother.

Not necessarily.

Just last fall, they had Champ made Carquest Red's on clearance. Bought a few for $1.50 each since they were advertised as the Carquest equivalent of the top tiered WIX filter. Made more sense to me seeing how they had just came out with the Champ made Reds. I ended up calling them up, but they told me they were WIX filters. Kept saying they weren't, but he didn't buy it.

After takeing them all from the box, I later discovered one had a huge dent in the base plate so I called back saying what what going on. Said how they were sold as WIX filters, but they weren't WIX made. The lady was very polite, but I offered to take photos of a WIX vs. a Fram so we could compare and she gave me a refund. I wouldnt have cared otherwise, but with shipping involved, I ended up paying just over $20 for a few Champs I could've bought at AAP for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back