Mahle OC229 & OC213

Both filters from our 1996 Porsche 911 (993). The 213 is mounted by the oil tank and oil thermostat and the 229 is mounted on the engine. This is a dry sump system.

Both filters are typical Mahle quality; dense pleats, very well made. Neither had an anti-drainback valve and both appeared to have pressure relief valves in the center tube, see the pics. Center tubes were conventional; holes, no louvres. These filters were COO Austria and the OC213 I replaced it with is China COO.

Mahle, along with Mann and Hengst are my go to's..at least the European manufactured ones. We will see...

MOC229 1.jpeg
MOC229 2.jpeg
MOC213 1.jpeg
MOC213 2.jpeg

dry sump system meaning the oil filter doesn't need an anti-drainback valve? Both look well constructed & held up well. How many miles do you typically use a filter for in your sporty roadster?

dry sump system meaning the oil filter doesn't need an anti-drainback valve? Both look well constructed & held up well. How many miles do you typically use a filter for in your sporty roadster?
Sort of; dry sump system as in there is no oil pan per se, oil is scavenged from the crankcase and heads and held in a separate tank. I guess that ADBV's aren't needed as the normal oil level in the tank level is above both filters and there are valves, a thermostat, etc. in the complex plumbing.

I probably only drive the fun cars ~1k/yr....need more spare time! I do annual oil and filter changes on the fun fleet regardless of mileage, but I may go longer on this one as there are ~11qts. of oil and the oil change is a pain.

No, dry sump system as in there is no oil pan per se, oil is scavenged from the crankcase and heads and held in a separate tank. I guess that ADBV's aren't needed as the normal oil level in the tank level is above both filters and there are valves, a thermostat, etc. in the complex plumbing.

I probably only drive the fun cars ~1k/yr....need more spare time!
That is an interesting concept & one that I'm not too familiar with. It must serve the purpose of keeping the car lubricated at all times essentially or a space constraint. Very cool! Thanks

That is an interesting concept & one that I'm not too familiar with. It must serve the purpose of keeping the car lubricated at all times essentially or a space constraint. Very cool! Thanks
Hi, yes it allows for a large quantity of oil as these cars are air and oil cooled, no water based coolant...oil and cylinder fins like a big lawnmower or GA aircraft engine, so oil is critical to cooling. Also, lowers height of the engine and to ensure oil is available during hard cornering, not sloshing around a conventional slump.

Odd looking engine, not even a vestigial oil pan;
p993u.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, yes it allows for a large quantity of oil as these cars are air and oil cooled, no coolant...oil and cylinder fins like a big lawnmower or GA aircraft engine, so oil is critical to cooling. Also, lowers height of the engine and to ensure oil is available during hard cornering, not sloshing around a conventional slump.

Odd looking engine, not even a vestigial oil pan;
View attachment 150026
I would say that it is indeed both Oil Needed & Space Savings/Weight reduction. That is very interesting. I've always been a car nut but never seen a porsch up close & those pics show that they were indeed a bit different in their design. While I'm no fan of air cooled it seems that they may have a decent enough design to cope with any additional heat or they possibly know these cars don't rack up many miles overall? Would you say there are a lot of these with high mileages on them that are air cooled? I seen first hand how Harley-Davidson motorcycles need a rebuild on their air cooled motors around 50k miles while the liquid cooled bikes and the likes of Honda Goldwings go for 100k+ miles. But at your rate of 1k it should be no issue for this car to last you a long time.

I would say that it is indeed both Oil Needed & Space Savings/Weight reduction. That is very interesting. I've always been a car nut but never seen a porsch up close & those pics show that they were indeed a bit different in their design. While I'm no fan of air cooled it seems that they may have a decent enough design to cope with any additional heat or they possibly know these cars don't rack up many miles overall? Would you say there are a lot of these with high mileages on them that are air cooled? I seen first hand how Harley-Davidson motorcycles need a rebuild on their air cooled motors around 50k miles while the liquid cooled bikes and the likes of Honda Goldwings go for 100k+ miles. But at your rate of 1k it should be no issue for this car to last you a long time.
The air cooled motors are generally long lived if maintained; high mileage examples are common. I say generally as there were some issues with certain years such as studs pulling, some issues w/ magnesium cases, etc. but they are generally very durable. That said, this model is the swan song for air cooled Porsches as increasing emissions and noise regulations and power increases necessitated the water cooling of following models. Also, I expect that Porsche's customer base in the late 90's may not have been as appreciative of a hint of hot engine smells when one puts on the cabin heat as their earlier core buyers. The next series, the 996 is a much more civilized car, which is good...and bad.

The air cooled motors are generally long lived if maintained; high mileage examples are common. I say generally as there were some issues with certain years such as studs pulling, some issues w/ magnesium cases, etc. but they are generally very durable. That said, this model is the swan song for air cooled Porsches as increasing emissions and noise regulations and power increases necessitated the water cooling of following models. Also, I expect that Porsche's customer base in the late 90's may not have been as appreciative of a hint of hot engine smells when one puts on the cabin heat as their earlier core buyers. The next series, the 996 is a much more civilized car, which is good...and bad.
Thanks for sharing that!

Dry sump systems are typically used in race cars to ensure no oil pump pickup oil starvation that can happen on engines with a typical sump oil pan setup.

Dry sump systems are typically used in race cars to ensure no oil pump pickup oil starvation that can happen on engines with a typical sump oil pan setup.
That makes sense & all the more important for high revving, corner carving, race cars. Cool!

Back