Magnets on oil filter base plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is worried about collected debris on the magnet coming off and going through an open filter bypass valve, then use a magnetic drain plug. I've used them for many years on many vehicles and they do catch ferrous material pretty well. It's interesting to see the amount of debris decrease with each oil change as the engine breaks in and accumulates more miles.

^^^I also have a Dorman magnetic drain plug installed.

I recently acquired this vehicle and am cleaning it up so stirring up lots of deposits so it is not surprising seeing the copious amounts of fuzz on the magnets.

All posts are appreciated.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Your magnets are full of fluffy steel. It's 0 deg the next morning and your engine flares to 1700 rpm and the bypass valve cracks open in the filter. Your ice cold thick oil knocks off some of those steel shards caught while the oil was nice and thin and hot. Right to the bearings they go. You will never know it because when you cut the filter open the magnets are full of steel fluff and you think it was always in the same place. Doesn't apply to block bypass systems.

Lets say this scenario described is true.

Take the magnet out of the equation and there is nothing to catch the steel shards.

Instead of "some" being held, then "none" are held.

What scenario is better? Catching some of the shards or none of the shards?

This is why Noria/ Jim Fitch/ Machinery lubrication describes having magnet as an asset in assisting hold back material in a bypass event vs a liability in having one.

Between you and them why would I subscribe to the liability scenario you describe vs the asset scenario they describe?

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Lets say this scenario described is true.

Take the magnet out of the equation and there is nothing to catch the steel shards.

Instead of "some" being held, then "none" are held.

What scenario is better? Catching some of the shards or none of the shards?

This is why Noria/ Jim Fitch/ Machinery lubrication describes having magnet as an asset in assisting hold back material in a bypass event vs a liability in having one.

Between you and them why would I subscribe to the liability scenario you describe vs the asset scenario they describe? UD

Lot's of common sense here.

Magnets work, period. My magnetic drain plug and filter mag always have a small bit of fuzz.

I wouldn't necessarily put them where the OP did, but that doesn't mean that they won't work. Funny how people all clamor for the most efficient oil filter and then turn around and say that trapping ferrous metal with a magnet is snake oil.

I use neodymium magnets on the outside of filter cans. Boy, some of these magnets are extremely powerful, made my friend's son cry when he was playing with them and got a blood blister. He was 16 years old.
The way I figure it, any particles kept out of the filter media will extend the life of the filter. I have extended the oil service interval on one of my vehicles so a little extra filter capacity is good to have.

Originally Posted by DGXR

The way I figure it, any particles kept out of the filter media will extend the life of the filter. I have extended the oil service interval on one of my vehicles so a little extra filter capacity is good to have.

Yup. This is how Fitch and Noria corp " figure" as well.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dave9
This is an example of ignorant fools who don't understand what they're doing, having too much free time.

There is no reason at all to have magnets. A properly designed filter does its job and any buildup would just break free if it were excessive, and still be blocked by the filter and that's not a problem because it too is replaced on a schedule.

This is one of those urban myth slash gradeschool child ideas.

Magnets are not new tech. They've been around longer than any of us alive today, and have been tried. This is not a beneficial use of them.

It always amazes me how much nonsense people can go through and spend more money and still declare everything to be a problem.

Just no. This is ridiculous. It makes no difference whatsoever. A bad engine design on the other hand...

Ya know, there is a way to make a point without coming off sounding like a horse's rear end.

All you've accomplished, as far as I'm concerned, is to turn people away from anything you have to say in the future. But you do you......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
I use neodymium magnets on the outside of filter cans. Boy, some of these magnets are extremely powerful, made my friend's son cry when he was playing with them and got a blood blister. He was 16 years old.

(The site won't let me edit my post so I will quote myself LOL):
I was running a magnetic drain plug before I started using magnets on the outside of the filter canister. When doing the oil service, there was always a small bit of black goop on the tip of the plug... wiped it off and put it back in. But once I started running these crazy strong magnets on the filter, that goop immediately and completely disappeared from the tip of the drain plug... I never have to wipe goop off the plug anymore. To me, this is evidence that the filter magnets are working. Also it's easy to find lots of pictures online where a filter canister was cut open and you can see a pattern of particles stuck inside the can where the magnet was placed... further evidence. But I still run the magnetic rain plug, just because.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Magnets can catch particles much smaller than even a high efficiency full flow filter can catch. And yes, particles less than 10 microns can cause engine wear.

Agreed.

Finally cut it open. Typical cut ADBV. There was an instance when I heard some noise when starting the vehicle for the first time in about 4 days. So perhaps the oil does leak down slowly with these shark bites.

PSLADBV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back