Magnet on Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've been reading about the filtermag which seems like a good idea, other than the price. I am also pricing out high temp neo magnets which are alot cheaper. i've read the different opinions on these and i want them.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY042SH&cat=167

I 'm just wondering how it works with the two poles. What if something in the oil is charged oposite of the pole stuck to the side of the filter? Also, I wonder if these are so powerful that they will pull smaller particles through the filter media from the other side of the filter, possibly "ripping" the media apart.

just thinking and I haven't seen these questions asked.

also how do you think one would work on a GM allison trans filter with the magnet that is already on the top on the filter from the factory?

thank you!

If you have an old PC hard drive. Use those mangnets. Then cut the oil filter apart and see if it worked.

I would wait untill the filter iss off the block to remove the magnets once installed, KIC the magnets work.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DY0Y0-N50

Chuckles like Beavis. I want one.

As for your questions,
Quote:
I 'm just wondering how it works with the two poles. What if something in the oil is charged oposite of the pole stuck to the side of the filter? Also, I wonder if these are so powerful that they will pull smaller particles through the filter media from the other side of the filter, possibly "ripping" the media apart.

Well that something would have it's opposite side attracted...so to speak. Through the steel case and the distance, you need not worry about ripping the filter.

Do they sell any curved magnets?

Somewhere, I've seen "curved" magnets made for specific size filters. I'll look around and see if I can find the info.

I've always thought they were a gimmick. Anybody think they are worth it?

I used to stick a penny sized neo magnet (the strongest I've seen) onto the side of my filters with a piece of tape underneath. When I cut the filter open there was only a very slight darkening where the magnet was. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble to stick the thing on there.

Used magnets on filters for years with great results including filtermags.

Having cut apart several filters after having the magnets installed tells all.

I bought 6 round ( penny sized) high power magnets at the hobby store for about $6.00. They have worked fine. I have been using them for over a year now. I wonder how long it takes for magnets to loose there strength, or do they ever loose their strength? As long as the magnets stay put, I can only imagine benefit and not harm to the filtering process.

Originally Posted By: Boss_429

I've always thought they were a gimmick. Anybody think they are worth it?

Look at any Used Oil Analasys UOA for the types of wear metal present.

Iron is the only thing that will be atracted to the magnet.

The Aluminum, Copper and Lead may cause more damage to the bearings, by creating hot spots, then iron.

The magnet may catch some of the sub micron iron particles that would pass through the filter media.

It can hurt, thats for sure.

It surely won't pull metal through the filter media...after all, the dirty side of the media is the outside...so, all it could do is pull it off of the media. I doubt it would even do that. You won't hurt anything by using a magnet, UNLESS you have a dome-end bypass valve that is adversely affected by the magnet. If you use a dome-end bypass valve, just put the magnet on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back