Magic words for us, thickies.

Casually scrolling through the owner's manual for our recently acquired 2010 Toyota Avalon, when I see the following passage:

■ Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-30 SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change.
The 5W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. The 30 in 5W-30 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature.
An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Oh the joy after seeing these words! I mean, I was going to use M1 0W-40 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40 anyways, (or anything else in Porsche A40 flavor). But having those words in the actual owner's manual just gave me all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings. These days most owner's manuals just dictate to "stick with 0W-20, or engine will self destruct", so a bit of common sense in the older owner's manuals is like a breath of fresh air on a crispy morning at the mountains, "The Sound of Music" style.

Alright, carry on. Just had to express my appreciation for the days of the past. ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽

Toyota: Use a higher viscosity oil if you operate your vehicle at high speed or under extreme load.

Toyota driver: I drive 10 over the speed limit! I regularly tow a 4x8 trailer! This is me! Toyota is begging me to use a 40 weight oil! I'm going to follow the manufacturer's recommendation!

Also Toyota: Operating your vehicle at high speed or under extreme load is severe use. These vehicle should follow the severe maintenance schedule and change oil every 3,000 miles.

Same Toyota driver: My driving doesn't warrant severe use! 3,000 mile oil changes are a scam! Toyota doesn't know what they're talking about and I'm not following the manufacturer recommendations!

i NEVER used any xxW20 oil in MY vehicles + dumped a fresh 5-20 semi syn in girlfriends 8xx mile 18 optima in 19 for 10_30 fake synthetic in Pa. warner climates especially benefit from heavier oils IMO!!

Toyota says, "Operating your vehicle at high speed or under extreme load is severe use."
Does driving an even 65-70 mph for 2 hours on an Interstate then 1 hour at 60 mph on a state road 24 times a year constitute "severe use"?
I believe the tach stays at or below 2K the whole time.

I've been in the M1/Castrol 0W-40 Euro camp for a while now.

Toyota: Use a higher viscosity oil if you operate your vehicle at high speed or under extreme load.

Toyota driver: I drive 10 over the speed limit! I regularly tow a 4x8 trailer! This is me! Toyota is begging me to use a 40 weight oil! I'm going to follow the manufacturer's recommendation!

Also Toyota: Operating your vehicle at high speed or under extreme load is severe use. These vehicle should follow the severe maintenance schedule and change oil every 3,000 miles.

Same Toyota driver: My driving doesn't warrant severe use! 3,000 mile oil changes are a scam! Toyota doesn't know what they're talking about and I'm not following the manufacturer recommendations!
"Oil is cheap, rebuild is not. Cheap Insurance!" Right? (Is that even still applicable in 2022 after the 'flation?) Anyways, we gonna keep our engines extra clean with M1 0W40 and 2000 mile OCI. Excuse me while I "severe service" my way to soccer field and daycare.

77-165.jpg

In the USA, auto makers must recommend the oil grade and quality they used in qualifying for their MPG ratings by the EPA. They may vary from that a bit for special driving conditions or environment. The grade they recommend may not necessarily meet your priorities in engine oil selection, for which case you are free to change once out of warranty. I intend to switch from the 0W-20 recommended for my car when my warranty expires next month to a 5W-30 or 0W-30. I am not a "thickie" but do believe a tad more viscosity adds a tad more protection should something go wrong, and am willing to sacrifice the $10/year in fuel savings I may get from a 0W-20. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

0w40 M1 in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma and my 2018 F350 with the gas engine and now using the 5W-40 Quaker State 5W-40 in my 2015 F150 with the 2.7. Thanks to tiGeo's Voa ! I use what ever oil is on sale 5w-20 or 30 in my daughters 2010 Focus it is a low stress engine.

Yup. 5w30 in our trusty old Tundra and the 3 TSXs I service. 0w20 in the GS and other "modern" cars...
You may have heard it doesn't get too cold here in the SF South Bay Area... 5w30 just might be the ticket for everything.

My 17 Camry manual specs 5-20 but also states a higher grade may be better for severe service. I figure it's all severe service, down here in the Sunny South. I run 8.8 vis 20 AFE, extract it about 4 mos or 3k miles. Use the grade that fits your climate, your drive, etc., etc., etc. It's not the same for all of us. FYI EP 5-20 seemed too thick in our cold winter of 2021 for my ride. 0-20 Ultra up next. Jmo

So, what is their definition of high speed and extreme load condition?

I was driving 90mph with 4 people in the car all the time and I though it was moderate to mild load because it was constant highway driving at 4k rpm and I got 30mpg. Engine had other problem (cooling system) but the oil runs pretty well for the whole OCI.

Casually scrolling through the owner's manual for our recently acquired 2010 Toyota Avalon, when I see the following passage:

■ Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-30 SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change.
The 5W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. The 30 in 5W-30 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature.
An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.
That's been pointed out many times in various thick vs thin threads.

It's a way to tip-toe around CAFE because the engineers understand the relationship between viscosity and MOFT.

What owners manual says this?

All Toyota OMs I've seen have the statement that's underlined in red.

View attachment 91230
Interesting. The manual for our 2022 4R uses the word towing as opposed to high loads. Makes a little more sense that way I suppose.

IIRC it does not give an API requirement though because I’ve thought about using Castrol 5w30 A3/B4 which is SL. It does call for 0w20 though.

Back